• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Activist Magick. Your Opinion

Wildchildx11

Zealot
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
I would and have done, and strive to do #1.

Personally, my view on politics is that it's a trap for me that keeps me stuck focusing on things other than the spiritual. I think it's part of my path to learn and understand people with differing political beliefs than me, instead of viewing things as us vs them. I look beyond politics because I believe that people have the unconditional right to discover and explore, and they shouldn't be limited in discovering and exploring ideas.

The current state of politics in my country is very ego driven.

My mom is a Fox News watching Trump supporter, I'm a transgender social Democrat progressive. I've been trying to reconnect and find peace with my mom over the past few years (we were estranged for reasons other than politics for nearly a decade, it was due to her personality disorders and alcoholism) and I don't force my political beliefs on her and don't let it affect our relationship.

I try to keep politics out of spirituality for that reason. I do Magick to help the oppressed and downtrodden but that is because I view it as my imperative separate from politics.

Wintruz

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I did a search on the forum regarding activism (actually activist) and didn't get any returns other than of all things a book by Crowley. So, i created a post.

I don't intend for this to be political but more about what would you be more inclined to do: 1.) giving aid magickally to the dispossessed and downtrodden, 2) or magickal retribution against those caused the destruction? A third option perhaps?

After my initial anger to smite the one causing pain, I feel my efforts are more worthwhile to aid those in pain.

I personally feel on the world stage or on a large societal scale the oppressor if a leader is protected by something like a shield created by their followers.
In a way, I see a correspondence between this post and the recent one asking if it's possible to kill with magic, though I respect that the consciousness behind this question is rather more elevated than it was behind that one.

A few weeks back, I wrote in a post that some (i.e.: real) LHP groups use death curses as an initiatory tool early on in an apprentice's affiliation. The reasons for this are manifold. In the first instance, it shows the apprentice that magic is real. There's little ambiguity when you hear that a deserving party has suddenly driven their car off the side of a cliff. The probability of that "naturally" happening soon after a curse has been pronounced is slim. How the apprentice responds to this news is also a good initiatory test; Are they suddenly drunk with power (this always ends badly)? Do they want to curse people for utterly trivial reasons (Masters of the LHP have an exceedingly high threshold for dealing with humans, much more so than the un-initiated)? Is the apprentice horrified? What are the metaphysical implications of magic being real? What are the political implications? All of this becomes a useful gage as to whether a person should be instructed further or not. There is another reason behind this use of death curses; the initiators want to see if the apprentice can pull it off. If they can, this apprentice has some magical talent. A lot of people cannot do it. Some people are naturally more gifted at magic than others. When the apprentice cannot do it, there has then been created a barometer for magical training; more strengthening of Will, more experimentation, more Self-Work, all leading to a concentre test of whether the initiate has real ability to effect change in the world.

I've mentioned this because the same process is magnified a thousandfold when it comes to causing political change through magic. In LHP terms, this is called "Aeonic" change. It's exceedingly difficult to do even for those very far along in their initiation and it's effects are generally only seen many, many years later. It is the practice of those who have no longer have initiators. In other words, all thoughts of Aeonic change should be left until much later on in initiation and, by then, a lot of political attitudes will have changed anyway and things which are seen as intolerable at one level will be seen as necessary evils which have aided evolution.

As for the question of personal inclination: I will not direct energies to just any person or any cause. My standards for intervening are very high and limited to where I can effect the strongest change. However, my standards for aiding are certainly lower than they are for "destruction". One I will do if I think it's likely to yield fruit, the other I would do only when there are no more cards left to play.

Wildchildx11

Zealot
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
In a way, I see a correspondence between this post and the recent one asking if it's possible to kill with magic, though I respect that the consciousness behind this question is rather more elevated than it was behind that one.

A few weeks back, I wrote in a post that some (i.e.: real) LHP groups use death curses as an initiatory tool early on in an apprentice's affiliation. The reasons for this are manifold. In the first instance, it shows the apprentice that magic is real. There's little ambiguity when you hear that a deserving party has suddenly driven their car off the side of a cliff. The probability of that "naturally" happening soon after a curse has been pronounced is slim. How the apprentice responds to this news is also a good initiatory test; Are they suddenly drunk with power (this always ends badly)? Do they want to curse people for utterly trivial reasons (Masters of the LHP have an exceedingly high threshold for dealing with humans, much more so than the un-initiated)? Is the apprentice horrified? What are the metaphysical implications of magic being real? What are the political implications? All of this becomes a useful gage as to whether a person should be instructed further or not. There is another reason behind this use of death curses; the initiators want to see if the apprentice can pull it off. If they can, this apprentice has some magical talent. A lot of people cannot do it. Some people are naturally more gifted at magic than others. When the apprentice cannot do it, there has then been created a barometer for magical training; more strengthening of Will, more experimentation, more Self-Work, all leading to a concentre test of whether the initiate has real ability to effect change in the world.

I've mentioned this because the same process is magnified a thousandfold when it comes to causing political change through magic. In LHP terms, this is called "Aeonic" change. It's exceedingly difficult to do even for those very far along in their initiation and it's effects are generally only seen many, many years later. It is the practice of those who have no longer have initiators. In other words, all thoughts of Aeonic change should be left until much later on in initiation and, by then, a lot of political attitudes will have changed anyway and things which are seen as intolerable at one level will be seen as necessary evils which have aided evolution.

As for the question of personal inclination: I will not direct energies to just any person or any cause. My standards for intervening are very high and limited to where I can effect the strongest change. However, my standards for aiding are certainly lower than they are for "destruction". One I will do if I think it's likely to yield fruit, the other I would do only when there are no more cards left to play.
This is part of the reason why I have reservations in identifying with Left Handed Path. I work with the darker aspects of my psyche so I can balance, so I can understand, maybe so I can fight against it. I don't know, I think I can accept that people have different paths other than my own, I believe in freedom, free will, freedom of thought and action. I try to balance between Right Hand and Left Hand philosophy, but really I live more according to Right Hand standards. I don't believe in Good or Evil, I want to believe there's a purpose for both.

Have I killed with Magick before? Yes. Would I do it again? No. Use divination to confirm. Was it intentional? No, but probably on some level.

Part of the alchemical process is separating good and evil, in order to seperate good and evil, you first have to understand good and evil.

Reaction score
Awards
Let's look at it this way:

Hacktivists will pick a worthy target, such as a Catholic Priest who physical cally molests children, and make their life unbearable with perhaps excommunication occurring through the truth coming out to the public, or corrupt politicians poisoning small town residents that again make life unbearable, having the truth come out after being forced to resign.

So why is it any different with a magician?

Wildchildx11

Zealot
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
@Wildchildx11
The thread isn't about LHP vs RHP, so please stick to the topic.
It's hard because of the way my thinking is, it seems to go off on random tangents a lot of the time that are loosely related. Thanks for your patience.

I don't really understand what is on topic or off topic due to the autism, I'll try to use the journal more for it. It's hard for me because Saturn is in Aquarius in the 1st house on my natal chart and I tend to be a bit unconventional in my thinking.

That is all I'll say. I'm working on staying on topic, and I'll work harder, but I need some patience.

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
what is on topic or off topic due to the autism
On topic = Anything(content-wise) related to the original post that started the thread
Off topic = Anything(content-wise) barely related or not even related to the original post that started the thread, specially if it makes a post start branching out into other subjects than those mentioned by the original thread.
I don't intend for this to be political but more about what would you be more inclined to do: 1.) giving aid magickally to the dispossessed and downtrodden, 2) or magickal retribution against those caused the destruction? A third option perhaps?
Considering the recent floods that happened in the region of the country I live in, at this point it makes more sense to seek to aid those that lost everything than to use magic to make the ones responsible pay for it.
The ones down on their luck need help now, punishment can come later.

Because the ones responsible are many governmental bodies, with many layers between them, but those suffering are one single group of people and thus it is also easier to deal with them than with the tangled mess that are politics and bureaucracy.

But best option would be to use magic to try to make changes in policies, maybe helping honest politicians(yes, they're a rare breed but there are some of them out there) be pushed forward in positions of power, or do something to influence those in power to think about ways to make their population's lives better, rather than only seeing everything through a capitalist lens of profit.