Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any books you guys would suggest?
03-27-2012, 10:51 AM (This post was last modified: 03-27-2012 10:52 AM by Libertarian.)
Well, lately I have had a lot of time on my hands and haven't been spending it doing anything really productive. I was wondering if anyone here has any good book suggestions? However, not necessarily 'story' type books, but more of ones with educational value. I enjoy reading things along the lines of Philosophy, Religion and History. I enjoy learning regardless if I agree with it or not, so feel free to suggest anything.

Angel

"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-27-2012, 11:55 AM
I have a few suggestions.

http://wizardforums.com/Thread-What-eboo...ou-reading

But if you are bored and want something perhaps not so biased then try watching religious debates. Usually they are the best both sides have to offer.

I know you said education but I heard hunger games was good and it's only like 10$ new in paperback (just got a copy for the little one).

Do not attempt to juggle eight chainsaws. Do not attempt to juggle any chainsaws. Unless you are a juggler. A professional chainsaw juggler. A really, really good professional chainsaw juggler who does not fear chainsaw manglings.
03-27-2012, 12:34 PM
(03-27-2012 11:55 AM)malichi Wrote:  I have a few suggestions.

http://wizardforums.com/Thread-What-eboo...ou-reading

But if you are bored and want something perhaps not so biased then try watching religious debates. Usually they are the best both sides have to offer.

I know you said education but I heard hunger games was good and it's only like 10$ new in paperback (just got a copy for the little one).

Watch religious debates? Any where specific or just on these forum's in general?

"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light."
03-27-2012, 01:39 PM (This post was last modified: 03-27-2012 01:39 PM by malichi.)
(03-27-2012 12:34 PM)Libertarian Wrote:  Watch religious debates? Any where specific or just on these forum's in general?

No, definitely not on these forums. Not because I hold anyone here in any less esteem, but specifically because I do not think I represent the best of my own houses arguments. I am speaking of videos of debates between Harris v Craig or Hitchens v Wolpe. These guys are giants, and watching them will either affirm or crumble your knowledge of one side or another.

The entire reason I suggest them is to get the best of both arguments and not to be swayed . It is the reason why I read the Holy books at the same time as the books attacking them.

Do not attempt to juggle eight chainsaws. Do not attempt to juggle any chainsaws. Unless you are a juggler. A professional chainsaw juggler. A really, really good professional chainsaw juggler who does not fear chainsaw manglings.
03-27-2012, 03:49 PM
(03-27-2012 01:39 PM)malichi Wrote:  
(03-27-2012 12:34 PM)Libertarian Wrote:  Watch religious debates? Any where specific or just on these forum's in general?

No, definitely not on these forums. Not because I hold anyone here in any less esteem, but specifically because I do not think I represent the best of my own houses arguments. I am speaking of videos of debates between Harris v Craig or Hitchens v Wolpe. These guys are giants, and watching them will either affirm or crumble your knowledge of one side or another.

The entire reason I suggest them is to get the best of both arguments and not to be swayed . It is the reason why I read the Holy books at the same time as the books attacking them.

Got done watching The God Debate II with Harris vs. Craig... I must say that was very entertaining to listen to and glad you suggested it.

09-26-2013, 02:29 PM
A People's History by Howard Zinn (should be required reading)
True Hallucinations by Terrance McKenna
Into the Void by Zoe Se7en
Drugs Are Nice by Lisa Carver
Prometheus Rising by Robert Anton Wilson
A Separate Reality by Carlos Castaneda

Free or drug free? America can't be both!
11-19-2015, 11:19 AM
The Odyssey is amazing.

Http://Arcanumtarotmagick.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMXvPfa...JzHQSOR0lg
To KNOW, To DARE, To WILL, TO KEEP SILENCE-such are the four words of the Magus! Eliphas Levi.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-24-2016, 06:35 AM
A stone for Danny Fisher

Http://Arcanumtarotmagick.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMXvPfa...JzHQSOR0lg
To KNOW, To DARE, To WILL, TO KEEP SILENCE-such are the four words of the Magus! Eliphas Levi.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-14-2016, 03:16 PM
These aren't really educational, but I love anything dystopian...The Time Machine, Utopia, and A Brave New World. Fragments by Heraclitus is a poetic type of philosophy book you might enjoy!
08-27-2016, 08:39 AM
Prometheus rising was one of the best books I've read so far to date. It has an introduction by Israel Regardie and Mr.Wilson does a great job summing up the circuits as proposed by Dr.Leary. Great book I'd recommend it to anyone here, cost me $6 used.

Solve et Coagula

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Free Books Candy Ray 6 392 07-12-2017 07:20 AM
Last Post: Poiel
  Any good books? Rashnu 6 274 05-25-2017 06:32 AM
Last Post: travsha
  Books on Philosophy/Metaphysics/Ontology/Psychology/Spirituality/Sociology/etc Harvey 20 2,106 05-29-2016 02:49 PM
Last Post: spidermix38
  Audio books? Paradox 6 1,163 11-18-2015 10:48 AM
Last Post: Mental Mountaineer
  What are your favorite books? ven0m 76 7,784 05-28-2015 05:40 AM
Last Post: Hagen Van Horne