Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Besoms
01-14-2018, 11:39 AM
So in Ireland we get these common Halloween broomsticks made of bamboo and some kind of chocolatey-brown twigs. Anyone familiar with them? Any idea what the twigs are from? I use mine as a besom because I'm fond of the Halloween style witch trappings, but I'd like to know what type of wood I'm using.

A pebble at the source of the Nile and all the world is changed.
Precision beats power, and timing beats speed.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-14-2018, 01:09 PM
pretty sure the “twigs” are splintered bamboo dyes brown. bamboo is a good broom material, it’s spiritually neutral - stalks represent health and prosperity- and the thorns are used for curse work. so pretty good stuff. it’s not the same kind of thing as scotch broom of course, which is best for cleansing and removing evil. we use coconut brooms quite a bit.
01-14-2018, 01:12 PM
It might be coconut, it seems more similar to it than splintered bamboo. I don't actually want it to be scotch broom, I heard that faeries don't like it and although that's not verified, I don't want to take any chances

01-14-2018, 02:21 PM
Mine is a 5$ walmart broom. I can't clense the circles until summer. The mud needs to dry to be swept effociently. Its a dug circle in the earth and they are very very large.
01-14-2018, 10:25 PM
you’re in the isles so your judgement is better than mine regarding irish folk practices - but i havent found scotch broom to a problem for good spirits - those that aide - but it is cleansing and protective. i use it a lot for st martin de porres- as he holds a broom in his icons.
01-14-2018, 11:02 PM (This post was last modified: 01-15-2018 04:49 AM by ZackDuckers.)
Scott's broom grows in the isles? Gros here in Oregon too. In fact, i made a hedge maze out of it. Birds love it as does the moss, ants, aphids, and tons of ladybugs.

Quote:BROOM:Also known as Scotch Broom or Irish Broom. It can be substituted for furze (gorse) at the Spring Equinox. The Irish called it the "Physician's power" because of its diuretic shoots. Sweep your outside ritual areas with it to purify and protect. Burning the blooms and shoots calms the wind.

So this says...
magic lore of trees

And there is this...
northern shamanism

Quote:Broom
(Genista scoparius)
Names: Besom, Bizzom, Planta Genista, Scotch Broom
Medicinal Uses: Flowering tops, drunk in tea, have first an exciting and then a sedative effect.
Household Uses: Making brooms.
Traditional Magical Uses: Raising the spirits of the Air. Purification through sweeping. This is one of the traditional plants for witches' brooms.
Shamanic Magical Uses: Special to Holda, Broom plants can be used to purify a home via the sweeping, bringing her blessing. Broom plants make good aspergers for purifying an area or a person with water. They can also be used dry, as the plant's name suggests. The plant does have a connection of some kind with the wind and weather, so they can be waved to propitiate the wind spirits, although the weather gods have the final say over major weather changes.

Some others.... Celctic Sacred Trees

Quote:BROOM
Also known as Scotch Broom or Irish Broom. It can be substituted for furze (gorse) at the Spring Equinox. The Irish called it the "Physician's power" because of its diuretic shoots. Sweep your outside ritual areas with it to purify and protect. Burning the blooms and shoots calms the wind. Be cautious if you plant Broom however, it will quickly multiply....

The witche's Broom part 1

According to this a good combination is ash for the handle and birch for the broom wrapped by willow.

Quote:The Popular Religion and Folk-lore of Northern India
By William Crooke · 1896 · Folklore

spirits of departed ancestors attend upon the Brihmans invited to the ... When the meal was over the priest took a broom and swept the souls out of the house, ...

Kind of curious on the materials of brooms actoss the world now. But sweeping/clensing and removal of spirits seems common. Makes me wonder about around shrines. Perhaps seeeping keeps various other spirits away from the shrine spirit. Be an interesting question to a particular spirit. I sweep under my favorite tree so perhaps thats why it is spared limb damage from ice and wind and storms. My earth shrine is beneath it also.
01-15-2018, 01:58 AM
I actually have Ash and birch growing in the garden, have to say, the idea of having a handmade one is starting to really appeal to me Tounge I'm fond of my shop-bought one but it is child-sized

01-15-2018, 02:56 AM (This post was last modified: 01-15-2018 02:58 AM by Feywer96.)
My family has a tradition in which a broom is mounted horizontally above the door, to keep unwanted spirits out of the dwelling. Sometimes we take it down and 'sweep' through the house when we feel necessary. Usually around imbolg or 'spring cleaning' time though.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-15-2018, 04:40 AM
I've heard of the broom over the door too, I keep mine in the hallway but I might put up a proper mount for my new one when I make it Tounge the landlord never comes in the front door Tounge

01-15-2018, 04:52 AM
Well, people are spirits of sorts.