Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cat Deities & Associations
06-19-2016, 12:28 AM
I've loved cats for a long time but as a very young child I recall a neighbor who once put cats in a bowling ball bag to pack around (kittens) He was mean. As I look back I was sometimes mean with cats or at least inquisitive. By mean, I wanted forced attention as a lot of children do but didn't understand the teachings of patience and trust from Cat.

There was a movie in grade school of a family going on vacation. They left the cat at home and the door ajar for it to go in/out. It had a big bowl of food and water. Sadly, stray dogs forced in and ate the food and drank the water. The cat was lonely and hungry. It wandered the city looking for its people. The pound caught it and it was eventually put to sleep. There was no music, just sounds of the city and it was done in such a sad way. That movie killed me inside as a kid. I felt so bad for the cat and it changed me. There were other instances in my life like a wandering cat that followed me and eventually crawled into a drainage tube. I called and called for it and left some food but it never came back. Another stray cat was killed by the family dog. That was my first cat burial of many to come in the future.

After moving to the property (now exiled from), as my cats died I started to finally created a Cat cemetery shrine. Lily was a tortoise shell partial manx kitty. She would ride on my back and I got to see her well into her old age. She crawled under my bed to pass away. She was the one who started the shrine/cemetery and is the centerpiece upon which the offering crypt for dead mice, birds, bugs, etc are placed that I found on the property.

Other graves were dug just around that one. As I am/was poor I could only sue large rocks and some urbanite stone that I found from broken structures. The shrine can be seen by low flying planes.

Naturally I've known of Bastet as a goddess of cats. I believe she has another name in other religions as well.

I went to look up recently from these sites:
http://messybeast.com/feline-deity.htm
http://heru-ra-ha.tripod.com/library/catdeities.html
http://www.catster.com/lifestyle/6-cat-g...t-cultures

I am sure there are others. I always show respect to the cat great and small for I have a deep love of felines. I miss mine so much.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-19-2016, 12:56 AM (This post was last modified: 06-19-2016 12:59 AM by Hagen Van Horne.)
Norse goddess Freyja is big time connected with cats. Here's a link to a thesis that has a lot of info about Freyja and the role of cats in Norse mythology and magic:

http://www.nabohome.org/postgraduates/th...Thesis.pdf

Awake becomes
what once was known,
forgetfulness is fleeting.
12-08-2016, 06:53 AM
Always my favorite friends. I love cats.
12-08-2016, 11:05 AM
I guess everyone has pet cemeteries. Well, goldfish get flushed i suppose... I use em for fertilizer in plants.

[Image: bear%203.png]
12-09-2016, 01:37 AM
Shashti the "malevolent" Shakti of childbirth.
Although she's more of a folk incarnation than pure Vedanta. And she's no longer malevolent, she's mercurial. But she's the one who I think of when people discuss house cats and deities.
12-09-2016, 02:07 AM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2016 02:08 AM by aries.)
Perhaps to help those that are curious . An overview-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shashthi

Some may or may not look further.

By the way. I had never heard of her. I just love cats. Thanks.
12-09-2016, 02:09 AM
Im allergic to cats now. Badly. Makes me sad as i still have 5 cats i raised from babies. Had to leave them with parents.

I literally get sores from their saliva and claws. Sneezing is bad and its like a sharp cat claw in the left sinus. I guess my offerings to the land didnt help. No wonder im so depressed lately. A month with them was better than nothing. I turned my old bedroom into a home for the old ones. My man-cave wood hut into feeding for tge outdoor crew and fixed the tents for their sleeping. Cleaned the gravesite. Gave offerings to the tomb and shrines and left.

[Image: bear%203.png]
12-09-2016, 04:31 AM
I have none at present. 2 dogs. My black female cat died a few months back.
12-09-2016, 08:21 AM
@aries no prob at all! I love them too. I ve found most people in my former profession love them, and most people in my future one love dogs. But an apt is just not the place I want to raise a big dog.
12-09-2016, 11:01 AM
No. That's difficult.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  your general belief about deities Lydia 34 2,305 08-04-2016 05:33 PM
Last Post: ninawilliam89
  Wiccan Deities ApolloMoon 13 716 04-13-2016 03:30 AM
Last Post: Hagen Van Horne