Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Collective Action Problems
12-04-2017, 03:02 AM
In economics and politics a collective action problem describes the situation in which multiple individuals would all benefit from a certain action, but has an associated cost making it implausible that any individual can or will undertake and solve it alone.

So for example, say you want to trade with other countries and you want them to let you trade with no tarrifs, but you charge tarrifs on their goods which are being imported - you want a 'free ride' off the others, but the problem is obvious - the others will want to the same as you and who will go first in regards to dropping tarrifs is very unlikely, in the end, nobody can collectvely agree upon a fair way to trade and trade dies.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2017, 03:08 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2017 03:09 AM by Samurael.)
One solution to those is Empire. No one tariffed Rome because those that tried quickly discovered they were allergic to flaming catapults and Centurion sandal curb stomping.

Power, Praise, and Glory Be
To Spirits All of Worlds Three;
Prithee Hearken Unto Me
And Wield Through Me
Divinest Storm of Mystery.

There is no separation
Between a man, his art, and his religion
'Less there is separation within the man.
12-04-2017, 03:17 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2017 03:18 AM by Ontical.)
That's the result of a failure in a collective action problem as one group dominates the others - a collective action problem solution is when all participants work together and avoid empire, monarchy and wars etc.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/collect...em-1917157

12-04-2017, 03:34 AM
I wouldn't call those failures. Subjugation of the disenfranchised makes my cell phone cheaper and the hardship and atrocities of war and child slavery build character. Win-win.

Power, Praise, and Glory Be
To Spirits All of Worlds Three;
Prithee Hearken Unto Me
And Wield Through Me
Divinest Storm of Mystery.

There is no separation
Between a man, his art, and his religion
'Less there is separation within the man.