Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cotton Mather
02-14-2018, 02:09 AM
Today we toast to the immortal memory of Cotton Mather (died on Feb 13th, 1728).

What do you think of his five propositions?

1) That there is a Devil, is a Thing Doubted by none but such
as are under the Influence of the Devil.

2) There is a Divellish Wrath against Mankind, with which
the Divel is, for Gods Sake Inspired.

3) The Devil, in the prosecution, & for the execution, of
His wrath upon them, often getts a Liberty to make a Descent
upon the Children of men.

4) Most Horrible Woes come to be inflicted upon Mankind,
when the Divel do’s in Great Wrath, make a Descent upon them.

5) Toward the End of his Time the Descent of the Devil in
Wrath upon the World, will produce more woful Effects, than
what have been in Former Ages.

'...ὅτι ψεύστης ἐστὶν καὶ ὁ πατὴρ αὐτοῦ.'
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-14-2018, 02:40 AM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2018 02:40 AM by ZackDuckers.)
If the devil is stronger the more that mankind spreads because the nature of mankind is selfish and self-serving then I agree mankind will destroy itself.
02-14-2018, 03:38 AM
(02-14-2018 02:40 AM)ZackDuckers Wrote:  If the devil is stronger the more that mankind spreads because the nature of mankind is selfish and self-serving then I agree mankind will destroy itself.
So do you agree that Cotton was onto something? As you might know, the common consensus is that the guy was a major league nutcase. I, for myself, think that the jury is still out.

'...ὅτι ψεύστης ἐστὶν καὶ ὁ πατὴρ αὐτοῦ.'
02-14-2018, 07:55 AM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2018 08:41 AM by ZackDuckers.)
Sometimes bits of truth are revealed in "madness." Sometimes we hate the truth as its not what we imagined.

Each person reflecting on anything will ponder differently. Hell, who's to say what is right. I'm not sure reality is truth (damn convincing illusion though).

I only hope those wielding power over corporations, nations, ideologies, and people aren't creating or trying to create a self-fulfilling prophecies and tying up loose ends.

Maybe the line in terminator 2 is pretty correct and humans just are bound to create their end and gravitate towards it. Maybe its how we are built like lemmings. Might be more borg/sheeplike than we care to admit.

Quote:What do you think of his five propositions?

1) That there is a Devil, is a Thing Doubted by none but such as are under the Influence of the Devil.
I believe in paradox/paradigm in all forms. So yes. And Yes people are influenced thus the various sins documented or bad deeds.

2) There is a Divellish Wrath against Mankind, with which the Divel is, for Gods Sake Inspired.
Yeah. If we were placed upon a pedestal then its pissed off at us and will ruin or test us.

3) The Devil, in the prosecution, & for the execution, of His wrath upon them, often getts a Liberty to make a Descent upon the Children of men.
Supposedly gifted this world or herald. Maybe it is to test each being and record results. Proving ground.

4) Most Horrible Woes come to be inflicted upon Mankind, when the Divel do’s in Great Wrath, make a Descent upon them.
Blowing off steam. Testing. Jealous? Dunno.

5) Toward the End of his Time the Descent of the Devil in Wrath upon the World, will produce more woful Effects, than what have been in Former Ages.
Pretty much what i said in earlier post.
02-14-2018, 11:19 AM
Hehehe. Divil sounds far less hostile than devil. I will now call him the Divil. Just to piss him off.

Don't make me put my wizard shit on. I mean fucking business when I've got my wizard shit on.