Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Design me a workout plan
12-08-2015, 08:32 PM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2015 12:52 AM by Harvey.)
My goals are to:
- Develop lower body strength
- Develop lower body explosiveness
- Develop lower body mobility/flexibility
- Increase vertical jump

Issues:
- Meniscal tear in my right knee, meaning I can't do ATG squats or high impact plyometrics
- Fibrocartilage issue in right wrist meaning I can't do chinups or bicep curls

Other Info:
- I've been out of the game for years now and want to get back into basketball/volleyball. I miss being able to get up. My knees are pretty ruined from training full time in the past and so this time round I'll need to focus heavily on mobility and stability.
- Willing to dedicate 1-2 hours a day, 7 days a week

Initial thoughts:

Deadlifts, Romanian deadlifts, dumbbell lunges, single leg dumbbell calf raises, glute ham raises, and leg extensions (to strengthen VMO). Maybe starting to incorporate some light low bar squats once I've got my mobility back if knees are fine.

At this stage I want to do 2 or 3 of the 7 days just on mobility/recovery stuff. So a heap of stretching and activation exercises. Maybe some core stuff too. These will be my rest days.

Eventually, I want to be squatting/deadlifting 6-7 days a week again and going heavy once or twice a week to knock out some big numbers. I'll then start adding some more plyometrics in.

Anyone have any good workout ideas incorporating the above lifts? And does anyone know of any really good mobility/supplementary work I can do so my knees don't explode?

Cheers
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2015, 05:18 AM
Id start with the pool.
Find all posts by this user
12-09-2015, 09:57 AM
I do happen to have a pool (and a sauna) so I'll definitely be utilizing these for hydrotherapy/recovery sessions.

12-10-2015, 03:28 AM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2015 03:36 AM by ElGod.)
Consider putting weights aside for a while and focusing purely on progressive calishtenics.
Impressive levels of strength and mobility can be built along with great neuromuscular coordination.

If you are interested,check out Overcoming Gravity.It's a bit dense but it will teach you how to develop a routine to suit your needs and also has a huge chunk of info on injury prevention,recovery etc.
12-10-2015, 04:45 AM
1. Buy weights
2. Run mustard on your chest
3. Yell at birds
4. Spit on your weights
5. ???
6. PR0F17!!1

╔╩═║║╔╗╦║══╩╗════════════╗
║══╠╣╔║║║═══║════════════╚
╣══╝║╚╩╩╚╝══╚╔╗║╦╔╗╦╗╔╗║╦║
╔═╗╔╗║╔╗╔╗║╚╗╠╣╠╣║║║║║║║
╚═╗╠╣║║║╚╝╩║╝╚╚╝╚╝╚╩╝
╚═╝╝║║║║╚║╚╝════════════╔
╚╦═════════╦╝════════════╝
12-10-2015, 07:20 AM
@ElGod, there's not many lower-body calisthenics I can do that'll increase my overall strength. Last time I did pistol squats I completely fucked my kneecap. Sad

@Shadow, you utter twat.

12-10-2015, 09:18 AM
Yeah like they said, pool is pretty much cheating. Very effective

1 2
3 5 8
13 21 34 55

Rens mea usque ad mortem.

高手在民间
A true master stays hidden among the common folk.
12-10-2015, 12:59 PM
(12-10-2015 07:20 AM)Harvey Wrote:  @ElGod, there's not many lower-body calisthenics I can do that'll increase my overall strength. Last time I did pistol squats I completely fucked my kneecap. Sad

Ouch Sad what leg work were you doing before you started pistols?
12-10-2015, 01:19 PM
(12-10-2015 12:59 PM)ElGod Wrote:  
(12-10-2015 07:20 AM)Harvey Wrote:  @ElGod, there's not many lower-body calisthenics I can do that'll increase my overall strength. Last time I did pistol squats I completely fucked my kneecap. Sad

Ouch Sad what leg work were you doing before you started pistols?

High-bar ATG squats 1-2 times a day 6-7 days a week and then some power cleans and auxiliary stuff 2-3 times a week. And a lot of jumping/plyos.

12-10-2015, 02:49 PM
(12-10-2015 01:19 PM)Harvey Wrote:  High-bar ATG squats 1-2 times a day 6-7 days a week and then some power cleans and auxiliary stuff 2-3 times a week. And a lot of jumping/plyos.

Hmm from what I can see,you seem to have had pretty good soft tissue strength so the reason you busted your knee is probably because of form.
Pistols are great for building strength but completely rek your joints if you screw the form even a little.

And you said you were out of game right?

From my experience of knee injury all I will suggest is start from step one.Jack knife squats maybe,I know it sounds outrageous but those beginner exercises are good for building up and repairing the tissue damage and they won't put much stress on the joints.Squats are all I did to recover from my knee injuries,worked like a charm for me.
Slowly buildup to one leg squat(there are progressions available online) and once you can perform 10 one leg squats on each leg,you will be in good enough shape to start heavy weights(you can begin early on but meh).
If you reach the level of one leg squats,you will have top notch mobility and stability.

Next I would concentrate on core,since you need that to transmit strength from anywhere to anywhere in the body,Check out L sit,V sit,Manna progression,hanging leg raises,and planche if you want to.

That should give you what you want,a powerful,functional lowerbody.

I can't recommend any upper body workouts until I know what's up with your wrist Smiling

Hope it helps,
My English sucks so ask me if I screwed up anywhere Smiling

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Home workout Quillian 13 2,116 02-20-2015 09:55 PM
Last Post: Frater.Akenu
  Personal Workout Routine Hуѕтєяιa X™ 20 3,052 02-11-2014 09:02 PM
Last Post: safa100
  Hardcore workout (Shake Weight) Koran 0 782 02-16-2013 06:19 PM
Last Post: Koran