Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Foods I miss.
06-04-2016, 01:35 PM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2016 01:46 PM by Seekeroftruth123.)
have you ever moved to another location, to find that some of your favorite foods are unheard of? Is there something you ate growing up that can't be found at the store today?

Where I'm from all cashew chicken is breaded, fried in peanut oil and the sauce is an oyster and bullion cube concoction with green onions and cashews sprinkled on top with a side of rice. Its not authentic but delicious. The crab Rangoon is different as well. I've been able to copy cat the cashew chicken but not the crab Rangoon. It's called Springfield cashew chicken. Google some recipies if it's something you might want to try. I'm pretty sure you will like it. Not healthy so I couldn't reccomend for anything other then every once in a while as a treat. Be careful with some on line recipies however, they tend to have you add too much salt and does not taste how it's supposed to and nasty. We don't put any salt in ours and it's perfect. I knew how the restraunts in my home town did it was unique but I didn't realize it was *that* different. Not even similar. I'm surprised they even kept the same name for it instead of calling it something else like "bullion oyster sauce chicken". The little crab ran goons try have here are so small wimpy with no crunch, seemingly baked. When I attempted to copy them in my deep fryer it didn't turn out. I'm 100% sure they aren't using the typical wraps that everywhere else uses. The texture, thickness and everything is different. The ones I'm used too are also atleast double the size.

Also cheddar bites from sonic. I can't find these anywhere. They hold no similarity to sonics 'jalapeño poppers'. I asked for them initially in my new residence. The lady had an attitude saying 'you mean jalapino poppers". I said nope *cheddar bites*. Well turns out they don't have them and I haven't ate any in years. The breading is different then the jalapino poppers and they use a firm cheddar as opposed to nacho cheese sauce or whatever it is they put in the poppers. Also they don't have jalapino in them obviously. The poppers have a more fluffy and soggy breading. The bites are thinner, more crisp but not crunchy. Trying to copy them. I think they use flour. My bites keep coming out the fryer soggy with oil. Still experimenting. Hope I can master the art.

Also waffle crisps and French toast crunch. They did start to make these again recently. They are really good.

Disclaimer: I don't eat shit food often but when I do I eat it right.

I'de love to hear about foods you have experienced losing as well.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2016, 12:17 AM
I can't eat a lot of my fave foods because I developed allergies to them. I got down on my hands and knees and cried when I couldn't eat artichokes anymore.

Thing is, I'm allergic to latex--I actually have high levels of antibodies against it. This gives a whole metric fuckton of cross-contamination allergies as the immune system launches attacks against anything that looks similar. So no fruit and few vegetables basically makes me an obligate carnivore. It gets boring.

The sushi bars around here are good at holding the avocado, though. I always write NO AVOCADO at the top of the sushi slip and everything's grand. I eat the wrong thing, I can go into anaphylaxis and suffocate by the time the EMTs show up. That generally wrecks everyone's night. :/

Generally, though, so long as I avoid the fruit desserts, I'm fine to go out.

Come get your Tarot cards read! It's fun for everyone.

Das Blut des Schicksals klebt an deinen Händen...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-05-2016, 10:39 AM
I can't eat anything that is gmo. Sad

Telekinesis master. If you need help, pm me.
If you need free help with energy manipulation you can pm me.
Pm me for a free pendulum reading.
06-06-2016, 05:36 AM
So there was this sandwich that I made 4 to 8 of for my lunch which was as follows
-1/4lb buffalo chicken
-honey mustard w/bacon
-american cheese
-onions
-tomatoes
-green peppers
-lettuce (maybe)
-whole wheat bread (typically seasoned with red hot curry powder, cayenne peppers, and occasionally ginger)

I miss this sandwich so much...........

[Image: skull%20star%202_zpsfqphqop8.jpg]
06-06-2016, 04:20 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2016 04:20 PM by mantishugo.)
(06-05-2016 12:17 AM)fixerkitty Wrote:  I can't eat a lot of my fave foods because I developed allergies to them.

I want to know -

1. How could somebody develop allergies to a food all of a sudden?
2. Is there any changes in the body due to which a person gets allergies?
3. What can be done to cure allergy to a certain food?

I'm drinking Goji Berry Juice to get rid of skin problems.
06-06-2016, 05:19 PM
1) There's something called a sensitization period. This can take anywhere from seconds to decades, depending on the substance and the person. Basically the immune system mistakenly attacks a harmless substance, like pollen, because it thinks it's an enemy. This can happen to anyone with anything--there have been cases of people being allergic to water! But the tendency to develop them often runs in families and there's usually a genetic predisposition. The immune system has to identify the substance, though, so it's unlikely to react to a brand new substance unless it looks really similar to something it doesn't already like. This is why people with latex allergies, for example, can't have a lot of fruit or vegetables--the proteins are similar if not identical so that template is already there. The second or third time contact is made with a substance all bets are off, as the immune system has now had enough exposure to identify and attack whatever it is you've come into contact with via skin, ingestion, or inhalation.

2) If you have one or more autoimmune diseases, as I do, you're more than likely to have a fuckton of allergies associated with them. This is because the immune system is stuck on overdrive and can't determine what's a threat and what's not. However, you do NOT want to crash the immune system--it's ancient, powerful, and not well understood. No immune system and death from infection follows very shortly. Given the choice, you want a malfunctioning one over none at all. Allergies will show up on skin prick tests and autoimmunes will show up on blood tests. Oftentimes there will be an alphabet soup of various autoantibodies and these will flag on lab work.

3) Nope. There are no shots like there are with respiratory allergies. If you are unlucky enough to wind up in the ER from them, as I have, they'll give you IVs with antihistamines like Benadryl and steroids like prednisone to slam the immune system back under control. This happened to me the last time I had aspartame. 30 hours in the hospital was NO FUN, believe me. :/ But once again, they can only treat them when they appear. I'm asthmatic so I take steroid inhalers and industrial-strength antihistamines daily to stay alive. It should have killed me numerous times by age 20, but I'm stubborn, so I'm still here.

The only cure for a food allergy is avoidance. Intolerances look much the same on the surface, but they're not the same. They often occur with food allergies, though. Intolerance means the body can't use whatever is being ingested. The most common of these is lactose intolerance, where people have a rough time with dairy products because they can't break down the lactase. No cure for those, either--just avoidance.

So yeah, I'm up the proverbial creek. :/

06-06-2016, 06:44 PM
(06-05-2016 10:39 AM)CKARMA10 Wrote:  I can't eat anything that is gmo. Sad

And reason for that is?
06-07-2016, 12:25 AM
(06-06-2016 06:44 PM)Frater.Akenu Wrote:  

And reason for that is?

Well. I get asthma when I eat GMO foods. Plus it gives me LGS (leaky gut syndrome).

Telekinesis master. If you need help, pm me.
If you need free help with energy manipulation you can pm me.
Pm me for a free pendulum reading.
06-07-2016, 01:03 AM
(06-07-2016 12:25 AM)CKARMA10 Wrote:  
(06-06-2016 06:44 PM)Frater.Akenu Wrote:  

And reason for that is?

Well. I get asthma when I eat GMO foods. Plus it gives me LGS (leaky gut syndrome).

That's the weirdest thing I have ever read, especially considering the genes modification process is the same that bacteria normally use to modify the plants... Maybe you are just allergic to the synthetic fertilizer or synthetic pesticides...
06-07-2016, 01:10 AM
^Or allergic to the ingredients if it's a processed food. If not, perhaps an actual allergy to the plant or animal. Shellfish allergies are common. Also, if you have allergies to certain types of pollen, eating related fruits or vegetables can trip them too.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Foods and chemicals to avoid? Zardas 12 950 07-12-2014 04:36 AM
Last Post: wicker558
  Scottish Foods United States of America 13 1,596 04-01-2012 12:05 PM
Last Post: DaGazaman