Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hiking preparedness ect.
05-29-2016, 12:03 PM (This post was last modified: 05-29-2016 12:59 PM by Seekeroftruth123.)
I've been planning my future in backpacking and hiking. I want to see beautiful sites and meditate at them.

I'm on the search for good deals on equipment now as I know after I move money will be really tight. I've been selling off my belongings for a few months now. Some is being saved towards moving and the some of the rest is going towards hiking equipment. I'm seeing some deals on backpacks that I'm considering for my other half on Craigslist. REI's garage sale is coming up next month I think. I'm a member there and have two 20% offs to spend as well.

Even though I'm trying to spend as little as possible, I don't want this to compromise the experience of the trips which is why I went all out on a Gregory Jade 28 for me. As small as it is, it carries enough weight to equal a fourth of what I weigh so it's perfect for me. Because I'm such a petite person, this means I'll have to be very conscious about the weight of my pack. Even though I can't carry anymore then this comfortably, I'm ok with this because most of our hiking will be day trips. Over the next few years we'll start to do trips that last a weekend. My pack is perfect for this. My SO can use a bigger pack with a heavier weight as he's 260 pounds and 6'. He's all muscle though haha.

I've already have good shoes... Asics Gel Evolution 6. I've had them for a few years and they are still working out or me fine. They might have sticks and dirt fall into them easily and aren't waterproof but even so they'll work great for now as far as comfort and stability is concerned.

REI big hit pro 2 tent is on sale on REI's website. Of all the times I've camped I've never used anything like this before. The concept is great. The reason being is because I hate bugs but at the same time hate the idea of being enclosed in a regular tent. Personally, I would like to feel a cool breeze and see the stars rather then feel enclosed unless the element require it. Also this one is unique to others I've seen that don't have a bottom which takes away my fear of ground bugs finding their in throughout the night. My SO will be sharing the tent so that will cut out on weight between the two of us. Can't wait to lay in the tent talking, reading and meditating. Instead of buying a separate tent for rainy days, I'm thinking about simply investing in a good cheap tarp to cover the mesh tent. Half the time regular tents don't stay entirely waterproof during a downpour anyway and besides, I can think of other ways in which a tarp might come in handy to me.

I'm drink a lot of water even when not hiking so this is a huge factor for me. My bag has a bladder compartment but I currently don't own a bladder. Investing in one is not a priority of mine as of yet. I'm thinking about carrying a few liters of water. I'm looking at the sawyer mini water filter set of two. It's on sale as well. I may end up waiting to see if any come available at the REI garage sale but we'll see. It depends if I get a buyer for some of my craigslist posts. That's wonderful that I can drink straight from the source with it or fill an empty water bottle in 30 seconds with it. Since theirs two, we'll both get one for our pack.

Two way radios. Per another forum, reception is iffy in the smokies where we'll be trekking. I can get a decent Motorola set for fairly cheap. We'll be together most of the time so I don't want to invest in anything waterproof quite yet.

I have a nice flash light that straps to my head. That will be very useful, especially since I'll want to use every bit of daylight exploring that I can before setting up camp. We've got flashlights but may get ether ones. We'll see. I'm fine with what we have but my SO is not. Lots of batteries.

Biodegradable bar soap. Already have it as its all I use. Will be washing in a stream. Can't stand being sweaty and gross. For this also a towel. A razor. Other personal items use like to bring is my eyebrow pencil. I'll get a small cheap compact mirror at the dollar store. A brush. Hair bands and clips. Toilet paper. A change of clothes or two. Swimsuit.

Thinking about putting together my own first aid kit. I'll throw everything into a zip block bag. Off the top of my head we'll need gauze, band aids, alcohol, medical glue, medical tape, neosporin, childrens pain reliever and hand sanitizer.

A small blanket. Empty pillowcase in which I can fill with leaves or grass and tie off.

Compass. Laminated or covered map. Matches, Food, Possibly a small cooking pot depending on the food I want to bring. Definitely marshmellows. Some kind of protein snacks like bars or nuts too. Possibly an emergency fire kit. Heavy duty trash bag to store pack in case of rain as the tent won't fit it. Possibly a book. Empty water jug. Preferably solid plastic so I can use it with the water filters more easily. I'm going to leave the house with it empty, so I won't have to worry about the weight until I find a water source, after all I will already have 2 gallons in my pack. It may be a good idea to bring another small water bottle filled but if my pack gets too full, I'll deal without. I have some organic bug spray I'll throw in.

Does anyone backpack or hike? I would love to hear stories. Maybe there is something I'm forgetting? Anyone have any item suggestions or tips?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2016, 11:55 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Cynergy-Lifelight-...B00H4JDHRS
Always get one of these. I found out the hard way when I fell into a stream when I was hiking and lost my batteries.
Also, depending on where you are camping, buy a knife for defense against bears.

Telekinesis master. If you need help, pm me.
If you need free help with energy manipulation you can pm me.
Pm me for a free pendulum reading.
06-04-2016, 10:08 AM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2016 10:14 AM by Seekeroftruth123.)
Thanks for the recommendation, CKARMA10. I see it has a red light option. I hear using a red or green light at night keeps others from seeing you from afar AND helps to preserve your night vision. I've not tested this personally but I certainly will the first chance I get.

Also, I bet there's some 'how to videos' for knife defense with these animals. I'll have to check. The person I'll be hiking with told me they want to bring a gun. Not sure if this is legal? They have been listening to horror stories on YouTube about hiking. Apparently a lot of creepy stuff goes on from time to time in the national parks.

On a more positive note, I'm thrilled to find that camping is allowed on the grounds at all. Turns out within 100ft of trails ect. I've never been a fan of *camp sites* where you are within earshot of the next campers to either side and where the beach is full of screaming idiots. I
I'm looking foreword to this more and more!
06-04-2016, 12:01 PM
I think that bringing a gun is legal. I know that it is legal in Yellowstone. I guess that it depends on which park you go to.
"They have been listening to horror stories on YouTube about hiking" - Never watch Jaws before you go to the beach - same rule applies here. Wink

Just out of curiosity, where are you going?

Telekinesis master. If you need help, pm me.
If you need free help with energy manipulation you can pm me.
Pm me for a free pendulum reading.
09-28-2016, 05:34 PM
Do share some really interesting stories of your Hiking experience with us . Hope so you enjoyed.

I'm drinking Goji Berry Juice to get rid of skin problems.
10-01-2016, 12:39 AM
I didn't see a small tarp or a sheet of plastic mentioned on the list for essentials. For me, it's a must have.
10-03-2016, 12:19 AM
I just got a collapsable police baton that i looped securely with 550 cord so i dont drop it. This is a nice tool as is the military hatchet i have. A good knife is always needed imho.

You might want a military E-tool (collapsable shovel]). Theres great load bearing vests and military back packs as well. Ive heard of a "camel back" which is a type of hydration pack with extended straw. I dont know how much water they hold.

Cant say ive hiked but i do love long walks (5-12 hours). Its not really the same thing since roads and sidewalks and parks arent mountain or wilderness trails.

I'M A DRUNK!!!
[Image: beer%2025.png]