Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you find your own Patron Deity?
12-15-2016, 01:18 PM
(12-15-2016 12:32 PM)JintheNinja Wrote:  @artis I don't agree with just being attracted to a specific power. I think it's partially predetermined, I think it's partially determined by temperament. I think revelation comes in a multitude of ways, but I hate (capitalized in totality) both the bullshit cultural appropriation and privilege used to justify working with spirits of other traditions without any license to do so. This is something that happens all too often. I think if the spirits of somehing are calling to you, they're not calling you to to set a seal of art and invoke them under extra cultural powers. I think they call you to purpose but it's up you to discern if you're going to accept them or not.

I agree. I have been attracted to spirits of certain traditions who were later revealed by peeps in there to actually be part of my quadrant. I've also been attracted to spirits that ended up really having nothing to do with me. Generally, I think it's ok to explore unless they're coming from a tradition you need license for/or a certain cultural understanding to work with. I wouldn't just look at a random deity/power from an indigenous tradition I have no connection or understanding of for example. Though, I feel much more comfortable reaching out to saints and such because I was raised in Catholicism, was raised in Mexican culture and many of my ancestors believed in saints that I now pray to, so that worldview makes sense to me.
If you truly feel that you're connected to a deity/entity, go to a person of that tradition to help you make respectful contact with that spirit (or to refer you to someone who can).

She/Her Pronouns

Check out my new blog!

http://crossroadsofsaintsanddevils.blogspot.com/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-15-2016, 01:29 PM
Exploration is great. Inquiry is a huge part of what I consider intelligence and wisdom. So completely agree. If you're interested, explore the idea, maybe it's a challenge but that is just as useful if not moreso than being easy.

And exactly consult your elders or someone in the know of that tradition.

People can certianly work with extra cultural powers outside of their birth, but when doing so I think as you know very well respect is utmost.

Totally agree with that I do think the religion of our ancestors plays a role in our frame. I also think the more genuine exposure we have to something plays a role in how we view who can be in there.
12-15-2016, 02:46 PM
Ah i see, thank you all for your recommendation and insight..

Im christian descent but i have no idea of any St. that im attracted to... during my childhood time only the 3 in1 god that the priest and pastors introduced to me to stick with (you know what the average christian do) and im gullible enough to follow them and not to explore other paradigm and/or forces..now that im a little bit grown up and still christian but im not that gullible enough to follow what the priest and pastor says about life after death and other christian dogmas..

I might try ancestor veneration if this will open other opportunities to my door..

I am attracted to hekate but i think i'll follow ur advices..soon if i have enough experiences i'll try to explore more...
(im not native english speaking so my wordings are messed up sorry)
12-15-2016, 05:57 PM
Don't apologise. Again you can try any path you feel attracted to just approach it respectful. Paganism for instance, many types do not require initiation. If you are attracted to Hecate, explore her and the wisdom behind her.
12-16-2016, 05:34 AM (This post was last modified: 12-16-2016 05:41 AM by The Artis Magistra.)
(12-15-2016 12:32 PM)JintheNinja Wrote:  @artis I don't agree with just being attracted to a specific power. I think it's partially predetermined, I think it's partially determined by temperament. I think revelation comes in a multitude of ways, but I hate (capitalized in totality) both the bullshit cultural appropriation and privilege used to justify working with spirits of other traditions without any license to do so. This is something that happens all too often. I think if the spirits of somehing are calling to you, they're not calling you to to set a seal of art and invoke them under extra cultural powers. I think they call you to purpose but it's up you to discern if you're going to accept them or not.

Yeah, I don't disagree with that, my question wasn't about "genuineness" but about "popular or attractive" things, trends and themes. I was and am trying to extract information regarding what these people are typically attracted to.

So yeah, I don't care about what their "gods" or "spirits" or whatever "actually are", "actuality" is rarely my concern on a website like this, but I'm looking for the kind of stuff they are popularly interested in. So if lots of people say "Bune, Bune, Bune" and then I might ask "what exactly attracted you to that" or "Bunnies, Bunnies, Bunnies" and what their interest is in that.

So yeah, I wasn't suggesting that the "actual way" to "actually" determine "your actual patron if you actually have one" but just what people are interested in and attracted to.

Which is why I said whatever I did which you might be responding to (with a good comment that I agree with), since I have no idea what I actually said, but I certainly didn't mean that "being attracted to a certain power means that such a power is necessarily such and such to you", but wanted to find out "what power(s) or ideas are you attracted to?" and "why, exactly, in as much detail as possible, do you think that is the case"?

My interest in this, is its cool to see sometimes the psychology behind these attractions or interests.

For my question to be answered, it can get really abstract even if one prefers, or things like "Knife" or whatever. It can also help (to answer my question), by following clues like that and seeing links and images and seeing what in those do or do not interest or attract. Again, this doesn't have to do with "necessarily actually finding out what is actually your actual" whatever, but just something I am asking because I'd like to know.

I wouldn't mind knowing what anyone considers their "actual" whatever even if its culturally appropriated or whatever.

It looks like no one has answered my question though, and I'd like to see answers, lists of entities or concepts which the person considers their "actual" patrons or friends or are otherwise "actually" attracted to at the "very least" and also especially "why". That interests me lots.
12-16-2016, 02:09 PM
So you raise a lot of great points. and I agree with you, and I had originally also agreed with you, but I traded nuance for brevity. So whilst I didn't say it as such re: faddishness and popularity, that was kind of the subtext to which I was alluding.

As for listing my spirits publically, whatver I was or am comfortable sharing is already shared. The people who know know, and they know who they are, and otherwise that's between The higher power and I.
12-16-2016, 02:33 PM
The God-King, the chap clearly cant astral project at will.
12-16-2016, 05:36 PM
(12-16-2016 02:09 PM)JintheNinja Wrote:  So you raise a lot of great points. and I agree with you, and I had originally also agreed with you, but I traded nuance for brevity. So whilst I didn't say it as such re: faddishness and popularity, that was kind of the subtext to which I was alluding.

As for listing my spirits publically, whatver I was or am comfortable sharing is already shared. The people who know know, and they know who they are, and otherwise that's between The higher power and I.

Really important. I don't find that spirits appreciate it when you flaunt their names around, if anything it reflects on the kind of person you are (and I say that as someone who is/was guilty of it).

She/Her Pronouns

Check out my new blog!

http://crossroadsofsaintsanddevils.blogspot.com/
12-16-2016, 06:13 PM
Acquire some good books on histories regarding various Gods/Goddesses. You'll find some solid references at http://www.molochsorcery.com/radio-show-1--2.html

From that alone, you'll discover a host of spirits you resonate with for one reason or another.

Next step is to get good at some form of divination so you can augur the outcome of your relationship with different spirits. This will allow you find out which deity is best suited for you.

Happy patron/matron spirit shopping!
12-16-2016, 07:21 PM (This post was last modified: 12-16-2016 07:25 PM by The Artis Magistra.)
(12-16-2016 02:09 PM)JintheNinja Wrote:  So you raise a lot of great points. and I agree with you, and I had originally also agreed with you, but I traded nuance for brevity. So whilst I didn't say it as such re: faddishness and popularity, that was kind of the subtext to which I was alluding.

No problemo. I'll look for anyone who does want to provide answers or provide answers again because I'm greatly interested in that.

(12-16-2016 05:36 PM)Absinthe Wrote:  

Really important. I don't find that spirits appreciate it when you flaunt their names around, if anything it reflects on the kind of person you are (and I say that as someone who is/was guilty of it).

Alrighty, no problem, whoever is willing to do it, I'd be happy to hear what they have to say.

(12-16-2016 06:13 PM)josh joe Wrote:  Acquire some good books on histories regarding various Gods/Goddesses. You'll find some solid references at http://www.molochsorcery.com/radio-show-1--2.html

From that alone, you'll discover a host of spirits you resonate with for one reason or another.

Next step is to get good at some form of divination so you can augur the outcome of your relationship with different spirits. This will allow you find out which deity is best suited for you.

Happy patron/matron spirit shopping!

What are yours josh joe? Which ones do you like or prefer or associate with?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Trying to find an electronic copy of a book. DoubtfulScholar 5 369 10-21-2017 05:29 PM
Last Post: DoubtfulScholar