Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magic and Psychosis
05-06-2017, 10:26 PM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2017 10:32 PM by Feywer96.)
I have a friend whom is going through a tough patch in his life. Namely, his abandonment of the evangelical christian church - the whole upbringing that went along with that - so a conflict of faith, not to mention his family moved to another country to teach children in some school or something and left him here.

So he's been dealing with raw raw emotions and has a lot on his plate. Combined with alcohol intake it, which we all know alcohol makes the emotions really come up - but with him it was more feverent. He expressed his feelings more. But he eventually stopped drinking, deciding it wasn't the best idea; and even then he was still doing his best to deal with his issues.

He is my friend from childhood, so we grew up with a mutual interest in the occult. Staying in our household for the past year and 4 months, only recently did he and I begin to make contact with other witches and pagans in the area and start studying and all that - so the frame here is within about a week or two, about.

I started to teach him about Tarot, basic Wiccan rituals and texts, the elements; metaphysics and philosophy, the Vangelo of the Witches - all sorts of good stuff like that - and he was eager and interested and learning a lot.

I would occasionally talk about the Qabalah, and mention the numbers and sephiroth and all the paths and such; and it seems as if something in him really caught onto that notion of numerology, because frankly I think he has gone a bit far with it.

When I started to get into the Qabalah I also went through the short but complex mental 'phase' where I would see meanings in numbers and stuff, for freshly having learned about the numerical associations in the mysticism. But I found that one can become easily lost and diluted. So I grew out of that quickly.
My friend takes numbers and associates certain things in his [current level of understanding + his life experiences] with them. Which doesn't sound half bad - but he would, say, look at a pokemon card and read the hit points or something like "2 means the lovers, and the 0 means infinitum - so it means love is infinite" - like what?

One morning I came out in my living room to find him already awake and having laid out a complex spread of pokemon cards, much like tarot cards (this is when I asked about that pokemon cards and cartomancy thread), and I was so patient and trying to understand how he was interpreting it all. I would ask questions like "well what does this card mean to you?" or "so why do these cards go here?" and so forth. But he would just go on with the whole numbers thing.

And recently (which, this is no ones true business) he visited his girlfriend and things apparently didn't go well because now my friend is either in a mental ward or the police station; they found him wandering the streets or something in a towel. He had left all his things at his gfs, or so I believe. We don't know where he is at the moment because they won't release information to us, but we're worried about him. This whole mess reminds me of the movie The Craft and how Nancy went crazy because she "couldn't handle the power". In a dark comedic sort of way. But all jokes aside (because this isn't funny).

Now I am well aware of the mental dangers of the occult realm. But I never considered his own mental stability. This should be a no-brainer: but I thought that Magic could be an "outlet" or a way in which he could take his focus from his anguishes and put it into something which I thought could help him grow, in a way. I did not stop to think that "maybe this isn't the best thing for him right now" - in meaning that, someone that is into magic has to be mentally stable and level: any instability can throw you off - and sometimes into the deep end.

I remember reading somewhere about an initiation in which the initiate was handicapped and in a wheelchair; and at the time how the Craft barred initiation from anyone with physical handicaps: not because of cruelty or coldness, but because it limits full activity with the rest of the coven (but now it's different and all). Anyway - they initiated him, he moved about in the circle on his own and did well, and afterwards thanked them very much. A year later he had some mental thing, broke down, depression and all - but he came out on the other side and told them that the initiation was true, and had changed him in the end for the better.

What are thoughts about psychosis and mental states, and magic? I know this is sort of a sensitive topic for me bc I'm dealing with these lessons right now - but i thought I might as well open discussion on whats been on my mind lately. Thanks~
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2017, 12:30 AM
Certain types of magic can agitate an existing issue, other types can help it.
Find all posts by this user
05-07-2017, 10:12 AM
First of all, I am sorry you and your friend are going through this. I wish you the best outcome possible.

Most magical traditions warn not to begin with them if you are mentally unstable. A significant amplification of energy and power can increase parasympathetic pressure that will blow cracks and weaknesses wide open. Even an awareness, or feeling of energy can increase it. Even a mild form of meditation can be dangerous to people with mental illness.

I would suggest doing a ritual (more than once) to help him with this. Angels could help. I have done it for a schizophrenic who was untreated for years because he was paranoid everyone was going to harm him. He was Jesus and dying of cancer at the same time. Everyone was trying to poison him, so he refused to eat anything not made by himself or his mother. He would not take pills. After a month of me doing rituals for help, he suddenly agreed to treatment one day.

May you both be blessed.
05-16-2017, 01:46 AM (This post was last modified: 05-16-2017 01:46 AM by Feywer96.)
Update: my friend should be out today, actually. I won't be there to greet him with open arms (as I just moved back to SF from NorCal). We talked to him on the phone yesterday and he seemed miles more stable. It seems like he just needed to "get a grip" in a way, you know? He was at some clinic place. I mean, I know it must be a lot on anyone's plate - but I'm glad his isn't cracking or shattering.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-06-2017, 04:32 AM
Sounds like your friend had a psychotic break.
Happens to me more often than I'd like to admit, but I personally haven't had any trouble regarding my occult interests.
One time I was in a state of psychotic depression and performed a ritual to help me get over some really painful things. It's almost like the psychosis was helping me get into the right mindset for the rite, but I can definitely see how it could make for a truly horrifying experience as well.

I'm glad he's stable now.
06-06-2017, 06:48 AM
What are you talking about? The only difference between a person experiencing psychosis and a magical or symbolic thinker is that the psychotic person tends to insist on the importance and crucial nature and that "it really IS this way" and believing it rather than relaxing and simply explaining it clearly and that it "can CAN be thought of in this way for this reason but is not crucial and if one does not seek to think of a thing that way or use it as a tool or reminder they need not".

What he is doing with Pokemon cards is not bad. Pokemon cards are indeed a potentially useful tool for much inspiration. Those who can't see it and think Playing Cards or Tarot Cards are any more useful or powerful seem to be in their own insisting delusions and dreams.

Just because movies and books and games and life events are made for money or entertainment does not mean one can not associate them with insight and reminders and meanings. This is especially justified (in the Etruscan manner) where all things can be seen as the voice and message of the Divine, a potential tool of meditation for pondering upon the One Power that is the origin and immediate cause of all experience.

If it is new or old also does not change its potential uses, it is just information, and information can be used as a vessel for much that inspires or reminds or reveals.

So yes, 2 is very obviously and easy to understand a number associated with 2 objects, as lovers or as divided. The lovers notion leads to One. The division notion leads to 3, but also, 2 mating leads to division in the sense of dividing by combining into a third, the child.

This is standard to Mystical numeric thinking known to the Ancients and enjoyed by groups such as the Pythagoreans. It is simple and themeatic and linguistic and easy to understand. It is stupid people who can't just calmy comprehend what is being said or taking it to wrong extremes.

0 is again correctly stated as a reference to the Eternal Base or the Infinite.
06-06-2017, 07:40 AM
(06-06-2017 06:48 AM)The Artis Magistra Wrote:  What are you talking about? The only difference between a person experiencing psychosis and a magical or symbolic thinker is that the psychotic person tends to insist on the importance and crucial nature and that "it really IS this way" and believing it rather than relaxing and simply explaining it clearly and that it "can CAN be thought of in this way for this reason but is not crucial and if one does not seek to think of a thing that way or use it as a tool or reminder they need not".

I can see where you're coming from, but psychosis can bring with it some less savory things (delusions, paranoia, catatonia, hallucinations, so on) that could potentially be very problematic when working with or researching magic of any sort.

Take, for example, someone who's studied the Goetic demons and is now seeing them everywhere without ever having performed an evocation. Or someone who's been reading up on curses and in their altered state believes so firmly in a curse upon themselves that it completely takes away their ability to function.

Psychosis can last for days and is very exhausting. It'd be great if you could channel it, pour it into magical work, but it can be a bit hard when you're not driving.

I'd also like to point out at that, being schizoid, I'm something of a magical thinker by nature. This aspect is brought to the forefront when I'm psychotic, but in all the wrong ways. All it ever seems to be is a waste of energy. I'm not bitter because I have issues, I'm frustrated because the time I've spent in psychosis could have been spent on something productive instead.
06-06-2017, 08:31 AM
Yes. I was not meaning to deny psychosis is dangerous and terrible, but that people undergoing it often seem to lack the self-control and tact to clearly explain thongs in a calm manner and have a radical urgency often, also usually formulating the ideas in a disorganized way even though a non-psychotic person may be able to organize uses for such ideas.

Most people I have encountered in the magical communities I have visited seem to suffer from some form of mental dis-ease or have a family history related to that. I don't, but people on the midst of their varying levels of psychosis find it practically impossible to really see, and in the past the mentally ill were locked up due to their lack of tact or clarity generally or otherwise heresies of other sorts but most often what was described as volatile and wild behavior or general unpleasantness which people on this website seem to also suffer from sometimes.

So yes, I am no fan of psychosis, but I am a fan of calmy and decently making an effort to make things useful.

Now that you have visited here, you can check out my recently updated post regarding 6 forms of manifestation, where I use as a test and example a cartoon that people would scoff at like they scoff at Pokemon or ridicule an effort to add ectra value to it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Magic and Technology - Magic for The People HushieRaiden 1 154 05-13-2017 05:28 AM
Last Post: niburulou