Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Newbie Question] Best book to begin with?
03-09-2018, 01:28 AM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2018 01:30 AM by Anthony Arcanum.)
(01-05-2018 09:28 PM)BakedPotato Wrote:  Hiya guys,

I'm new to all this stuff and I'm thinking about reading a book from Crowley or Manly Palmer Hall about what magick is in the common sense and what it is all about.

Any recommendations?
(Please leave out the sacrificial / demon magic a.k.a. black magic )

Christ be with you.
Thank you Angel

Manly P Hall is a Must for any serious Occult student and Magician But folks strictly interested in the Arts You won't get much because he was not an active Magician just a master of the Great Arcanum and Occultism. If you wish to be both " like many of us He's a Must as well" Start with the secret Teachings of all ages, then go from there.
Crowley is great for learning High Magick but very hard for a beginner.There are many paths and many great beginner books what are you looking to learn? High magick or Low
Both? The lens, Kabbalah l, Hoodoo, folk magick? Etc
Modern Magick by DMK is great and Mastering Witchcraft. Click the link to my YouTube page, I have a two part segment in this exact topic, I go over beginner books, what they teach and review them a bit...I don't know how to Dr links on my phone or I would, if anyone would be so kind please post part 1 for me here.
Anthony Arcanum is the name to search on YouTube then you will find the videos In there.

Yes They are right, Jason Miller's Book SS and protection and reversal magick are must haves and prop the best starting books today, very simple and very effective.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2018, 09:42 AM
My top three recommends would be the Tao Te Ching, the Kybalion, and Plato's Republic. None of them get explicitly into the nitty gritty of praxis but for that no book replaces adept living mentors or spirit tutelaries anyway. The Qvareia isn't really a book but there's good stuff in it too if you sift through the new age horseshit.
03-09-2018, 12:27 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2018 12:27 PM by proxincz..)
The best book to get started is the magickal diary. Joking apart. If you are looking for the best book to get started, then I would say the best book is The Clavicles of Solomon, Solomon (?!) / Samuel "MacGregor" Mathers. But I do not know if you'll like it, so I'll tell you another: Three Books of Occult Philosophy, Henrique Cornelius Agrippa.

[Image: Hadit.gif]
Love is the law love under will
03-09-2018, 12:29 PM
S Mathers shit up that entire book. If you're looking for Goetic magick, try The Lesser Key Of Solomon from Peterson.

Also Initiation Into Hermetics from Bardon is one of the best how to's ever put to paper.

καὶ τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνε καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Book of Abraxas peterbobby70 6 830 Today 08:55 AM
Last Post: Emperor Time
  Book Request Thread JovialMagus 1,768 276,941 Today 12:58 AM
Last Post: Dreammussings
  Occult Library Online Book repository grundy 4 608 05-17-2018 02:07 AM
Last Post: grundy
  Psalm Book Cheat Sheet Brother MOLOCH 969 1 223 05-15-2018 12:05 PM