Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Off Grid?
05-15-2016, 05:54 PM
Apologies if this is in the wrong place, Mods feel free to move it.

One of the things I find about being a Magician is a sense of responsibility for my enviroment. This takes may forms but one of them is trying to do my own small part to save the planet...I recycle, I compost, I don't drive the car unless its nesacarry and as a child of the 1970s i'm very aware of my energy usage.

And one area I'm intrested in is Off Grid living...No I don't at the moment...it would be impossible in my situation but I do think decetralisation and removal from the power grid is beneficial for most people. (Its taking time out to smell the roses).
I do also think anyone with a more 'Pagan' or acknowlagment of nature type of mindset would make the adjustment far more easily than someone obsessed with the lastest consumer goods.

On a personal level i've expermented with Solar Power and keep a solar charger in the car-handy for charging phones/tablets. Biogas-just as part of my amature alchemy/chemist studies and as I meat eater i'm much more hands on with my butchering and preparing of meat (The wife comes from a farming family and has a respect for animals, espechaly the nice tasting ones. to us Meat comes from the Lamb you watched being born and had a hand in rearing, not pre packaged in plastic on a supermarket shelf)

So anyone else in here think 'off grid' is the way forwards?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-15-2016, 11:51 PM
Im all for off-grid living and strive to live such.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-21-2016, 05:39 AM
I would like both personally. I strive to live in a minimalist fashion, as naturally as possible in my everyday life. I am 25/30 minutes outside of a big city and in the woods, which I love. But, I do hope to someday also own a large piece of land, in the middle of nowhere for a more "off the grid" life. I currently grow my own food, but also am 15 minutes from a Starbucks.......it is a good balance for me in my daily life/work right now.

I do not think that I would ever extract myself 100% from "societal" living, unless it was island life that I was transitioning to. That would be amazing.

"I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living" ~ A. N.
11-30-2016, 05:43 AM (This post was last modified: 11-30-2016 05:43 AM by aries.)
I'll stay on grid thanks. But I wish all of you that prefer the wild as a way of life all the best. Also, most girls prefer civilization if that is a consideration.
11-30-2016, 05:58 AM
Off grid is much less primitive these days, what with better technology and farther reaching 4G and 3G internet in more remote areas of countryside. I would definitely be up for it, the problem is that we are becoming increasingly enclosed. Here in the UK, there's no where to just set up and live.

11-30-2016, 06:20 AM (This post was last modified: 11-30-2016 06:24 AM by travsha.)
Off grid is one way forward. There are many ways forward. Off grid doesnt necessarily equate to "more environmentally friendly".... You can be on or off grid and still treat the environment right.

I know many people into living off-grid. I like the idea, but after getting to know the details I know it isnt the path for me. I am down for solar power, but I prefer to spend my days writing books, making art, helping clients with healing ect, rather then being a farmer. I personally do not enjoy farming type work at all, though a small garden is nice. I also find that to create a nice comfortable and welcoming space for my clients I would not be able to manage things in those popular tiny homes ect - they would prevent me from doing my work (work that I love doing and want to keep doing even if I didnt have bills to pay). Most of the off-grid people I know have to work their asses off and still live without many easy to get comforts.... They often say it is all about freedom and working for themselves - but I am free and work for myself without having to bust my ass so much or give up so much.... So I prefer the way things are going for me right now. If I was really into farming and constructing things around the house ect - then I would be more into to off-grid.

I do enjoy extended periods in nature without electricity or running water ect.... This is different then off-grid living though, as I go back to my regular lifestyle after a couple weeks. I like variety and nature immersion, but I also like nice foods, community, art, social interactions and internet ect....

For me I found the path forward is working for myself, helping others, being environmentally conscious, and creating a comfortable home next to nature but still close to the city (if I want to help others it helps to be close and accessible to them).

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-30-2016, 08:16 AM
Ah yes, LED lighting.
12-06-2016, 10:25 PM
(11-30-2016 05:58 AM)Ontical Wrote:  Off grid is much less primitive these days, what with better technology and farther reaching 4G and 3G internet in more remote areas of countryside. I would definitely be up for it, the problem is that we are becoming increasingly enclosed. Here in the UK, there's no where to just set up and live.

Come to the US. The easiest way, apparently, is to cross in from the Mexican border. No passport required, no extradition, just come on in. Then you can receive all the wonderful benefits such as Obamacare, etc. Then, welfare check in hand, go get you some solar cells and a nice tent over at the local sporting goods store and you are on your way!

Magic: When you pull a rabbit out of a hat...
Magick: When the rabbit pulls you out of a hat...
In either case, you should keep a jaundiced eye on that hat...
12-07-2016, 12:01 PM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2016 02:37 PM by aries.)
(12-06-2016 10:25 PM)SteampunkScientist Wrote:  
(11-30-2016 05:58 AM)Ontical Wrote:  Off grid is much less primitive these days, what with better technology and farther reaching 4G and 3G internet in more remote areas of countryside. I would definitely be up for it, the problem is that we are becoming increasingly enclosed. Here in the UK, there's no where to just set up and live.

Come to the US. The easiest way, apparently, is to cross in from the Mexican border. No passport required, no extradition, just come on in. Then you can receive all the wonderful benefits such as Obamacare, etc. Then, welfare check in hand, go get you some solar cells and a nice tent over at the local sporting goods store and you are on your way!

Yeah that's been happening.
12-13-2016, 12:29 AM
There is no way id jump to the mexican border. Their prisons are not resorts compared to ours.

[Image: bear%203.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Off grid systems Ontical 0 87 08-11-2017 06:08 PM
Last Post: Ontical