Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pop Culture Magic!
09-14-2017, 12:34 PM
What are your thoughts and experiences with this type of magic? Are you for, against, or neutral towards this practice?

Why I Love Pop Culture Magic

1) Magical and spiritual energy is generated by the constant consumption and personal interpretations of popular culture.

2) Creativity is the driving force of popular culture, so creating a spell, ritual, or devotion based on ones favorite superhero, antihero, or musical group/performer helps our own creative expression.

3) Mythology and legend were once the popular culture of ages passed, so we can reimagine our favorite characters as avatars of mythological and religious beings.

4) We can create our own characters, music, and stories and through the use of social media we then create a hypersigil that empowers our own unique currents.

"There is something inherently magical about breath and light and balls of energy." Adam Blackthorne

I am an amorphous sigil of beingless ecstasy, I am a spell cast by blind idiots shot through my Fathers Wand into my Mothers Chalice. I am a slave created to set myself free.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-14-2017, 03:19 PM
I love pop culture magic too xD I made a post about it before, basically saying that because I believe in multiverse theory that I believe all of these characters exist somewhere, and certain beings aren't necessarily bound to the physics of their world e.g. Daedra from Elder Scrolls, and can make super powerful allies that aren't in demand in our world.
Also I reckon the "spirit" or impression on consciousness of particular characters can be majorly helpful to channel in certain situations, or even just to listen to for advice etc., they can be more vocal than saints or angels if you have a deeper connection to them Smiling

Would you mind expanding a bit on no 4 in this, Unlien?

A pebble at the source of the Nile and all the world is changed.
09-14-2017, 05:41 PM
I am new to the practice but I have found a lot of synchronicity working with certain characters. Certain characters and fantasy lands connect deeper with me than others similar to how certain ancient beings and styles of magic fit for more traditional types.

You can use fanfiction or original work, basically a sigil on repeat. Utilizing a character for example, you can create blogs written by the character, share art and story lines via social media. The more the character is shared with others the more energy it generates towards its creative potential. It's basically an egregor programmed by their appearance, abilities, attitudes and stories.

"There is something inherently magical about breath and light and balls of energy." Adam Blackthorne

I am an amorphous sigil of beingless ecstasy, I am a spell cast by blind idiots shot through my Fathers Wand into my Mothers Chalice. I am a slave created to set myself free.
09-14-2017, 08:32 PM (This post was last modified: 09-14-2017 08:50 PM by Wylandriah91.)
Ah ok, excellent stuff Happy I'm generally of the opinion that gods, unless you're talking about spirit or source or energy ("creator" or architect whatevs), are more or less egregores, albeit sometimes very old and powerful ones. Have you ever read any Terry Pratchett?

A pebble at the source of the Nile and all the world is changed.
09-14-2017, 10:47 PM (This post was last modified: 09-14-2017 10:52 PM by Rashnu.)
I highly enjoy the idea of it, as a CM it is very intriguing, I've heard many success stories using Slendermen as part of a pantheon when using baneful magick spells and I'd like to consider using Goku myself to help me with my work out routine as I've gotten lazy with it lately so we'll see Smiling
And Goku's even has a useful symbol, the emblem on his chest for when he trained with master Roshi, the one he used when he trained under Whis and there was another one from King Kai :3

Also on a side note, who is that sigil magician that used his own.comic books to make his will a reality? Famous mags, can't remember his name but that just goes to show you, putting your will and and energy can create reality.

In order to Hear, we must Listen; In order to See, we must Look; and in order to Understand we must Want To.
Nature is the teacher of art..
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-15-2017, 08:08 AM
I have not read Terry Pratchett. I am more of a graphic novel, cartoon, and movie enthusiast with my pop culture. I do agree that most ancient beings are just pop culture icons of the times. No offense to other peoples' religions, but I find a mix of both tradition and modern pop culture to be the best for me.

The comic artist is Grant Morrison, where I actually picked up the idea, and word, 'hypersigil'. Allen Moore also uses his magical personality when writing comics, my favorite being the Promethea series. I often use Goku and Vegeta as training influences. Goku and Vegeta over a beaten Batman and Superman as a cover to my personal Psi journal with Yoda on the inside cover. I have a lot of pop culture influences for meditation, magic, and martial arts.

I utilize some famous living stars for other workings, but I have been more concentrated on Deadpool as of late.

09-15-2017, 10:52 AM
You mean to tell me that Sam, Dean and Castiel (even Crowley and Chuck) are alive somewhere in another universe? Can someone please catapult me right into that universe?
09-15-2017, 11:00 AM (This post was last modified: 09-15-2017 11:01 AM by Zhor.)
It's an interesting thing. Also: a lot of what remain fictional settings here are built upon some solid though theme-based understanding of aspects of occult practice.
Take the Dresden Files for instance. Does a hell of a lot better job than Harry Potter, that's for bloody well sure. Gather up your inspiration wherever you find it.
09-15-2017, 11:13 AM
I think that shows like Supernatural and Constantine (based off the Hell Blazer comics )are pretty accurate in a lot of their stuff.
Of course, most things are embellished because of the whole hollywood thing but the basis of alot of their stories are legit.
I do not think at any extent that these things are 100% on point but they are shockingly truthful in alot of ways and they get dismissed and looked over as just tv shows. For the most part they are but there is definitely some truth to them.
09-16-2017, 10:04 AM (This post was last modified: 09-16-2017 10:07 AM by Unlien.)
A lot of stories and shows these days have a lot of accuracy to them, even if blown out of proportion. Charmed used the Power of Three and family bonds, The Craft plays on contacting Nature to fuel ones own magic, Vampire Diaries uses gemstones and plays on the Salem Witch Trials, only turning it towards vampires in their own Mystic Falls.

But that's not why I am interested in this style, I like the creativity that goes into pop culture images and how I can use that creativity to further my own progress, like using Deadpool to kill off abusive people from traumatic memories, using UFO beams to clear my Chakras, or utilizing Gwen Dylan (from the iZombie comic series) as an interdimensional goddess and occult teacher for practices such as eating Lovecraftian entities, astral travel, and retrocognition (past life recall).

I love getting lost in my favorite music only to find myself returning to fond memories, new realizations, and hope for the future through vibration of sound. I also write to my favorite instrumental music and my partner creates playlists based on her own characters.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Pop culture paganism Wylandriah91 20 292 07-30-2017 01:46 PM
Last Post: ZackDuckers
  Planetary Magic vs Enoquian Magic Raziel Fire 35 2,957 07-20-2016 02:43 AM
Last Post: Orismen
  Spill / Ogham Magic spell magic. juledianwindrider 7 853 06-11-2016 11:40 AM
Last Post: Feywer96
  appropriation of culture in Magick in General Magickinqu 28 1,461 03-02-2016 11:38 PM
Last Post: A LEADER
  Know Thyself-To do magic is to realize that you are and can do magic Martinez 10 2,018 01-09-2016 04:34 PM
Last Post: Martinez