Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Public School Religious Indoctrination
04-15-2017, 12:31 AM
(04-14-2017 01:01 PM)Whitehat Wrote:  So y'all are saying that this is in fact absolutely not normal for a southern public school?

What you described sounds like it might be legal in the USA, but I did a little reading yesterday and learned that it's complicated. Here's the ACLU Statement on Religion in Public Schools.

That should give you a good starting point for understanding if your situation is or isn't legally permissible. If it's illegal, I for one wish you'd press it. Nothing like that changes on its own. It has to be forced.

Effectiveness is the Measure of Truth

Neuromagick.com
Pagan Crafts Engraving
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-15-2017, 12:47 AM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2017 12:48 AM by Mider2009.)
Yes the students are allowed to pray on their own in school but if the school is sanctioning the prayers as I think hat is saying then it's not legal. I believe he's said they're having the students pray etc correct? Btw when it says students can pray it means ANY religion, if they're elevating Christianity that's not honoring separation of church and state.

We use to have a moment of silence at the beginning of the day that's it, no single religion was sanctioned, example they didn't say legs have a moment of silence to thank Jesus.
04-15-2017, 12:57 AM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2017 12:57 AM by Feywer96.)
In California Religion and Schools are kept separate or in water-tight compartments. If a teacher is found "indoctrinating" or really getting into religious 'what ever' with the students, the teacher would probably be fired or turned to a different district.

However, when it comes to private schools, it can be different. There's a private school in my small town "just for christians" - which I thumb my nose at every time I pass - only on the grounds that, it's literally indoctrination station Tounge
And anyway, I think in public schools we vaguely go over some of the world religions (the more 'popular' ones anyway) but that's only a foot-note and nothing seriously considered.

My mother always let me make my own decisions and let me come to my own conclusions on things. If I wanted to be a moslem, hindu, christian or jew, I would imagine my family would be supportive (however I'm not!). It's all in the support system. I have a friend who's upbringing was evangelical christian - and in a sense leaving it behind is like "rebellion" because his conflicts with his faith and so forth. His family never would have supported him in his belief system now (Wicca), so it's estranged. It's always good to be a good support system.

I don't think religion should be explicitly taught along-side the ciriculum, it makes no sense to me, and anyway the phrase goes, "Separation of Church and State" - and I am and always will be a strong and vocal proponent about that. If it's not that - then there's something fishy about it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-15-2017, 02:42 AM
I would just tell my kids I dont accept Jesus because he was never real, and because the religion around him is evil and has caused pain all over the earth. I would then teach them the facts that support this. If they want to go study and research on their own and still want to believe in Jesus, then fine, but at least then they have the correct info and can make an informed decision.

I aint raising no dummies.

I also plan on homeschooling. But if my kid asks to go to public school I will let them and just make sure that we talk about what they are learning so I can compliment their public schooling with a little reality - I know for a fact that a lot of the history I was taught in school was bogus for example....

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-20-2017, 11:43 AM
Late getting back to the board. But yeah, I have basically taught my kids that they can go in any religious or no religious direction they choose. Meanwhile I am teaching them how Christianity teaches them to be reliant on a spiritual crutch where they can blame "Satan" for their poor choices and give "God" the glory when things go right. Ugh. Thank you Laughlin for the link to the ACLU. Trying to figure out how to press this without becoming one of those "disgruntled moms on the news stories."
04-20-2017, 02:18 PM
Talk to the school board first, if they ignore you then the state board of education. If that fails get the ACLU involved.

When you go to those stupid plays record the prayers etc.

I like to thank my matron when things happen but as you said I don't believe every bad thing is the devil etc.
04-25-2017, 10:13 AM (This post was last modified: 04-25-2017 10:22 AM by Whitehat.)
I believe that certain things when I ask for them deserve thanks to the spirit or deity who I ask. Totally agree with you on that.
I just wouldn't give thanks in front of a school body for people contributing to a class' new iPads....ugh. Then lead a prayer about it.
The school performances here are bilingual. Which is good, because this means that all that attend can enjoy the performance. So why can't the religion be left out of it so we all feel included?
I'm going to record the next performance and forward it to the ACLU. thank you for the lead on where to go with this.

https://youtu.be/dmzgohHHQh4
Hopefully this link works. I saw this today and it summed up things quite well. The way that many get away with ridiculing other faiths besides the mainstream one.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Connecticut School Shooting xtinguish 16 2,175 01-05-2013 07:35 AM
Last Post: AnimalKind
  [Debate]: Should school hours be shortened? NUMB 35 6,286 05-31-2012 10:56 PM
Last Post: Milkman