Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Question asked by Socrates
03-14-2016, 05:16 PM
When something is holy it's usually set aside for special use.

In the jewish religions certain items and people where holy while others where not and it was a crime punishable by death to harm or misuse these said items and people's.

Same with the Christian religion, saints, holy water, the priesthood, etc.

So the better question is, how can you just make yourself holy without the gods approval.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-14-2016, 05:35 PM (This post was last modified: 03-14-2016 05:38 PM by GuruWithin.)
You can't.
If the process of being holy requires a deities approval, you can't deem yourself holy. Unless you believe that we are each our own God/Goddess.

Technically you can call yourself whatever you wilt, but in this situation it would not be true if the Gods/Goddesses didn't approve or deem it so themselves.

The Hermit, F.R.C.

"There is nothing so inspiring, so filled with peace, happiness, perfect health, joy, and contentment as the development of the spiritual nature."
- H. Spencer Lewis, founder of the Rosicrucian Order, AMORC. 1915.
03-24-2016, 02:01 AM
For Socrates, there are truths that even the Gods can not change. Gods are perfect beings and therefore they don't cheat, lie or do anything like that. His beliefs about the Gods are different from the other people of his time. That is one of the many reasons why he was sentenced to death. The truth (and the holy) is always the same for Socrates and the Gods love it because perfect beings love the truth. Please excuse the mistakes i have probably made, english is not my first language. Peace.
03-28-2016, 07:20 AM
Socrates said the best quote of all time and at the end of the Day it applies to all of us in areas
" I know nothing!"
This is the way to live life
It Dont mean I actually know nothing
Read between the lines...Nothing is cement
We must always keep an open mind and keep learning

Http://Arcanumtarotmagick.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMXvPfa...JzHQSOR0lg
To KNOW, To DARE, To WILL, TO KEEP SILENCE-such are the four words of the Magus! Eliphas Levi.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-28-2016, 07:27 AM (This post was last modified: 03-28-2016 07:28 AM by Feywer96.)
(06-28-2012 09:23 AM)Combustion Wrote:  We talked about this in philosophy class today:

Is something holy because the gods approve of it, or do the gods approve of it because it is holy?

What is meant when the word "approve" is used?
What is meant when the word "holy" is used?

I think on the surface level, the first answer is seemingly the "correct" one.

But what constitutes "the Gods", and their dispositions?

What may be held holy to one may be but another to another.

(03-28-2016 07:20 AM)Magickinqu Wrote:  Socrates said the best quote of all time and at the end of the Day it applies to all of us in areas
" I know nothing!"
This is the way to live life
It Dont mean I actually know nothing
Read between the lines...Nothing is cement
We must always keep an open mind and keep learning

Yes. A Billion% agreed my Friend!
03-28-2016, 07:32 AM
The moment you think you know the ultimate truth a the moment you should realize you're clueless Wink
03-28-2016, 07:34 AM
(03-28-2016 07:32 AM)Mider2009 Wrote:  The moment you think you know the ultimate truth a the moment you should realize you're clueless Wink

;D
03-28-2016, 10:50 AM
I know that I am intelligent because I know I know nothing. Socrates
True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing. Socrates
The unexamined life is not worth living. Socrates

Http://Arcanumtarotmagick.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMXvPfa...JzHQSOR0lg
To KNOW, To DARE, To WILL, TO KEEP SILENCE-such are the four words of the Magus! Eliphas Levi.
07-02-2016, 02:46 PM
(06-28-2012 09:23 AM)Combustion Wrote:  We talked about this in philosophy class today:

Is something holy because the gods approve of it, or do the gods approve of it because it is holy?

Holiness is consubstantial with gods' desires.

Their approval is secondary.
07-14-2016, 02:17 AM

you are questing like, "which come first EGG or CHICKEN".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Alexander the Great etc. Selene 9 1,165 12-04-2016 11:13 PM
Last Post: Ontical
  A Socrates quote all of you should know. lolzor60 4 993 03-14-2016 09:35 AM
Last Post: GuruWithin
  A question from the 2008 "world's trickiest exam" Harvey 6 985 11-13-2015 09:54 AM
Last Post: Valazar
  [Question] Do you think life is predetermined? Star 31 3,951 12-29-2013 02:51 PM
Last Post: guero
  Another psychological experiment (maths question) Oldskool. 5 1,061 11-13-2012 06:51 AM
Last Post: Oldskool.