Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Question asked by Socrates
01-07-2017, 07:03 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2017 07:42 PM by -NIGHTMARE-.)
(03-28-2016 10:50 AM)Magickinqu Wrote:  I know that I am intelligent because I know I know nothing. Socrates
True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing. Socrates
The unexamined life is not worth living. Socrates
^
^
^
in order to become something
you must be nothing
& even then you are noone

in order to become someone
you must be noone
& even then you are nothing

the conscience evokes life not death

'Welcome to My Nightmare'
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2017, 09:25 PM
(06-28-2012 09:23 AM)Combustion Wrote:  We talked about this in philosophy class today:

Is something holy because the gods approve of it, or do the gods approve of it because it is holy?
i'll take a shot at it..
the question itself creates a dilemma which remains unresolved
Catch-22 (logic)
(a dilemma or difficult circumstance because of mutually conflicting conditions)
from what i understand the question was used lesson form to make one strive to 'think'

01-07-2017, 10:47 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2017 10:49 PM by Ontical.)
(06-28-2012 09:23 AM)Combustion Wrote:  We talked about this in philosophy class today:

Is something holy because the gods approve of it, or do the gods approve of it because it is holy?

I think a dialectical monism is required here, the propositions works both ways.

If H then A
H
Therefore A

If A then H
A
Therefore H

01-08-2017, 04:26 AM
^would that not force it to become an equal circumstance which in fact it is not?
example of your comment:
...Form Does not Differ From the Void, And the Void Does Not Differ From Form. Form is Void and Void is Form...
http://naturyl.humanists.net/diamon.html

01-08-2017, 04:57 AM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2017 05:03 AM by Ontical.)
Do you mean a logical equivalence? I'm not familiar with equal circumstrance.

I was thinking that you can't have one without the other, if something is holy then by definition it is divine, for a God. If there are Gods, then by definiton there are holy things. Dualist monism, one and two, both and. Two sides of the same coin.

01-08-2017, 05:32 AM
(01-08-2017 04:57 AM)Ontical Wrote:  Do you mean a logical equivalence? I'm not familiar with equal circumstrance.

I was thinking that you can't have one without the other, if something is holy then by definition it is divine, for a God. If there are Gods, then by definiton there are holy things. Dualist monism, one and two, both and. Two sides of the same coin.

Socrates' skillful argument shows that this definition is insufficient: though what is holy may be approved of by the gods, the two cannot be the same thing. If the gods approve of something because it is holy, then their approval cannot be what makes it holy. Alternatively, if it is holy because the gods approve of it, then we still don't know for what reason the gods approve of it. It seems that any attempt to ground our definition of holiness in the will or approval of the gods is bound to fail. We might normally associate holiness with some sort of divine will, but Plato seems to be suggesting that we should think along another line altogether.

http://www.sparknotes.com/philosophy/eut...ion1.rhtml

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Alexander the Great etc. Selene 9 734 12-04-2016 11:13 PM
Last Post: Ontical
  A Socrates quote all of you should know. lolzor60 4 828 03-14-2016 09:35 AM
Last Post: GuruWithin
  A question from the 2008 "world's trickiest exam" Harvey 6 636 11-13-2015 09:54 AM
Last Post: Valazar
  [Question] Do you think life is predetermined? Star 31 3,147 12-29-2013 02:51 PM
Last Post: guero
  Another psychological experiment (maths question) Oldskool. 5 805 11-13-2012 06:51 AM
Last Post: Oldskool.