Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Robots, automation and A.I. invading the job market
01-06-2017, 10:45 AM
A.I. and robotics could replace 6% of U.S. jobs by 2021

http://www.computerworld.com/article/312...-2021.html

And this is just the beginning.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/...-warn.html

If you are somewhat young, or older with children or grandchildren, what kind of thoughts does this spawn in your mind?

Personally, I'm relatively concerned, because this is a growing trend with no point of return and someday most of us will become obsolete. Will this lead to Zeitgeist/Elysium type of world? What do you think
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2017, 11:04 AM
(01-06-2017 10:45 AM)Yoda Wrote:  A.I. and robotics could replace 6% of U.S. jobs by 2021

http://www.computerworld.com/article/312...-2021.html

And this is just the beginning.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/...-warn.html

If you are somewhat young, or older with children or grandchildren, what kind of thoughts does this spawn in your mind?

Personally, I'm relatively concerned, because this is a growing trend with no point of return and someday most of us will become obsolete. Will this lead to Zeitgeist/Elysium type of world? What do you think

This could be great if people weren't forced to work for a living. We have more than enough resources for the people on the planet, but they are being managed by greedy people. This is the obvious next step in societal evolution. When we are smart enough to have non sentient or artificially sentient workers to do things FOR us.
People that live to work and work to live have a sad view on life. I don't believe this is our natural state, and maybe these worker bots can bring us closer to whatever that is.

When you say "someday most of us will become obsolete", is that really such a bad thing? Think about workers at fast food restaurants. I have personally worked at one of these and I can tell you it takes no skill. I have worked with people that were on meth 90% of the time and they did it fine. To be honest I'd rather a sanitary robot handle my food than those people. Obviously I'm not saying all people at fast food restaurants are on meth, but I can tell you firsthand, it doesn't take skill.

That being said, as humans we can apply skills that we have to whatever we are doing. Think about digging a hole. I believe we can all agree it doesn't take skill to dig a hole (6 ft). Ask a small child to dig a hole and they will use their hands. Ask an adult to dig a hole and they are more likely to use a tool, such as a stick or maybe they will think far enough ahead and find a shovel. Using tools is a skill they we inherited from our ancestors, but is taught in our societies. Therefore, it takes no skill to dig a hole, yet skills can be applied to the simplest of things, such as digging a hole.

On a slightly less dreamy perspective, maybe you can buy a worker bot to do the work for you and you get a % of the work.
For example: You buy a worker bot to work at a farm, and you get $5 US a day. Buy 20 bots and boom, you have a good wage to live on. Maybe after constant repairs you get 4 $US a day, but that's still pretty good.

If we could get out of our sheeple mindset that has been instilled in us, we could see the opportunity this is presenting. But for this to be a GOOD or GREAT opportunity, we have to make some changes. A lot of changes.
01-07-2017, 12:14 AM
I don't see any downsides honestly, only benefits. Humans shouldn't be investing so much time in such mundane tasks. If we had bots and AI to do the dirty work, we would have so much more time to do more productive things that could really advance our civilization. I've talked to people about it, especially now that I'm getting into computer programing, and they almost always say the same thing: "Oh, but we'll lose our jobs!". Well maybe they will, but I sure as hell won't.

You see, this shift that is occurring, that is setting us up for a world of robots, AI and automation, KNOWLEDGE IS KEY! A person with no advanced skills will be easily replaced by a machine that doesn't whine or ask for a raise. A person who stays on top of technology understands that robots and AI can only attain a certain level of real knowledge. They don't know how to make a robot, unless we teach them how. So that person should then recognize that developing skills that will be in demand in that type of world will literally mean survival.

Learn to program or engineer and you won't be replaced. If anything, you'll find more opportunities than ever before. With a world filled with bots and AI, someone is going to need to think of them, build them, and fix them.

I have 3 kids, the oldest 9 years old. Luckily she has an interest in programming, learning HTML/CSS as we speak. But I'm already teaching them the importance in starting to learn at least 2 skills that will be relevant in the future. The two skills I recommend them in programming and IT. If at this age, they can start learning very basic concepts, as they get older and hopefully see the importance of these skills they will work to refine them and be a valuable knowledge worker.

Btw if you don't know what knowledge worker means, look it up. very interesting term. I believe they will be in extreme demand in the next 10 years and up.

Look at this link. Linkedin compiled the top skills from 2016 and how they will get you jobs in 2017.
Top Skills of 2017
Notice anything? Wink

a speck in the sand in the desert of where...
01-20-2017, 01:45 AM
Fun fact- I work for a company that builds these person-replacing automation machines. The reality of the matter is, if you choose not to adapt, you will not prosper. I went and gathered skills directly related to robotics, without being overly specialized, and now I have a career that will not disappear.

The other reality people forget is exactly what Ryen said. Somebody has to build them, maintain them, and fix them. I do exactly that, and I am always recommending to other young people to do the same.
01-20-2017, 02:08 AM
(01-20-2017 01:45 AM)Anastasiya Wrote:  Fun fact- I work for a company that builds these person-replacing automation machines. The reality of the matter is, if you choose not to adapt, you will not prosper. I went and gathered skills directly related to robotics, without being overly specialized, and now I have a career that will not disappear.

The other reality people forget is exactly what Ryen said. Somebody has to build them, maintain them, and fix them. I do exactly that, and I am always recommending to other young people to do the same.

Nice career choice! Definitely job security in the robotics market. What you did is exactly what I try to recommend my younger friends and family to do, shit even older folks. It's going to be very unfortunate when workers start getting replaced and THEN they want to learn the skills. Don't let that happen!

a speck in the sand in the desert of where...