Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Serious question
12-21-2015, 11:43 AM (This post was last modified: 12-23-2015 01:44 AM by Absinthe.)
I'm really not trying to be a dick this time. Is there any way members can elect to have their threads function in a bit of a 'free for all' fashion? Like, obviously nothing that grossly goes against the ToS. Just like, if an interesting discussion sort of goes a bit off topic, or if harsh words are spewed, can the mods just sort of let it go on?

Like my threads. If I start a topic, I certainly don't care what people talk about it in. I don't care if they want to just troll me with ever insult they can conceive of. I've always stood strongly against censorship. The shit bothers me. Can people just elect to have their threads not be modded? Pretty sure if members actually have a problem with something they can always 'report' the post. That being the case, is it absolutely necessary to just immediately junk shit left and right when literally no one has a problem with it? Just curious about this possibility. I see discussions as often naturally evolving. Seems that's not even allowed any more.

╔╩═║║╔╗╦║══╩╗════════════╗
║══╠╣╔║║║═══║════════════╚
╣══╝║╚╩╩╚╝══╚╔╗║╦╔╗╦╗╔╗║╦║
╔═╗╔╗║╔╗╔╗║╚╗╠╣╠╣║║║║║║║
╚═╗╠╣║║║╚╝╩║╝╚╚╝╚╝╚╩╝
╚═╝╝║║║║╚║╚╝════════════╔
╚╦═════════╦╝════════════╝
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-21-2015, 01:03 PM
Nope.

She/Her Pronouns

Check out my new blog!

http://crossroadsofsaintsanddevils.blogspot.com/
Find all posts by this user
12-22-2015, 02:25 PM
We use discretion when deciding what to junk or take further action in. The problem with your suggestion is that it promotes disorder. I get that you don't really care if someone swears or all that in your thread, however if people get away with it in your thread they'll think its okay to do it throughout the forum. We just want to promote positive conversations between members. At the end of the day, if members conduct themselves in a professional intellectual manner, they'll be viewed in a more positive light than someone being completely vulgar.

[Image: jlOskTWFZuq8v.png]
You're kinda right about the LQP part. If it wasn't for yourself and a few other members around, I'd never have learned what LQP-ing was. -Svarog
Email me at [email protected]
12-22-2015, 02:35 PM (This post was last modified: 12-22-2015 02:37 PM by Shadow.)
(12-22-2015 02:25 PM)xtinguish Wrote:  We use discretion when deciding what to junk or take further action in. The problem with your suggestion is that it promotes disorder. I get that you don't really care if someone swears or all that in your thread, however if people get away with it in your thread they'll think its okay to do it throughout the forum. We just want to promote positive conversations between members. At the end of the day, if members conduct themselves in a professional intellectual manner, they'll be viewed in a more positive light than someone being completely vulgar.

Thank you for a well thought out response. A breath of fresh air from Absinthe's 'nope' and closing. I can understand the sentiment you expressed. My main concern was allowing for a more developmental perspective for threads rather than a strict 'on topic' paradigm I suppose. I can see that there's two sides to this argument. I just hate seeing threads being closed for going off topic rather than other measures taken. When a thread is closed it becomes useless. Then everyone loses; administration as much as members.

I hope you've been well, xtinguish! I don't see you on the forum as much these days Sad

╔═╗╔╗║╔╗╔╗║╚╗╠╣╠╣║║║║║║║
╚═╗╠╣║║║╚╝╩║╝╚╚╝╚╝╚╩╝
12-22-2015, 03:00 PM
I understand this is no place for staff discussion but I wanted to publicise my thoughts.

I am of the belief that the current state of moderation in many threads is blatantly stifling discussion. As Shadow says, threads always resume their course eventually. And if the OP has a quarrel with how the thread is developing, they can let it be known and then and only then should we shepherd the replies back to the original topic.

Quote:The problem with your suggestion is that it promotes disorder. I get that you don't really care if someone swears or all that in your thread, however if people get away with it in your thread they'll think its okay to do it throughout the forum.

Shadow's suggestion promotes free-flowing discussion. While we do have one or two immature members, we desperately need to stop babying this community. I'll also mention folks that swearing is, in no way, infringing upon the forum rules.

12-23-2015, 01:42 AM (This post was last modified: 12-23-2015 01:44 AM by Absinthe.)
Shadow is a child. He just wants free reign to insult and attack other members. For example, the particular thread he's referring to is his palm reading question. I junked several replies because it was just shadow raging against off topic posts.

She/Her Pronouns

Check out my new blog!

12-23-2015, 07:57 AM
(12-23-2015 01:42 AM)Absinthe Wrote:  Shadow is a child. He just wants free reign to insult and attack other members. For example, the particular thread he's referring to is his palm reading question. I junked several replies because it was just shadow raging against off topic posts.

Don't bother. I've seen you junk entire threads that I wasn't even a part of because you disagreed with the general opinion expressed within. Everyone's childish according to the 'Great Euoi,' who's not even old enough to have a fully developed brain yet (mid twenties is the average, in case anyone was curious). You're honestly not fit to be Staff. TGK's shit at least I can understand for the most part. You, however, need to chill out. The use of 'potty words' and saying 'mean things' to people isn't an indicator of maturity. There's a million other factors that go into social interaction, and you're just labeling the things you don't like as 'childish.'

So before you call someone a child, consider the fact that you can't bare to allow opinions in opposition to your own see the light of day. At least I don't have the need to censor the things I disagree with.

╔═╗╔╗║╔╗╔╗║╚╗╠╣╠╣║║║║║║║
╚═╗╠╣║║║╚╝╩║╝╚╚╝╚╝╚╩╝
12-23-2015, 08:40 AM
I wasn't going to bother. But Xtinguish reopened the thread.
Beyond what I've already stated, I have no need to defend myself. I will not participate in your cock fight.

She/Her Pronouns

Check out my new blog!

12-28-2015, 06:30 PM
(12-23-2015 08:40 AM)Absinthe Wrote:  I wasn't going to bother. But Xtinguish reopened the thread.
Beyond what I've already stated, I have no need to defend myself. I will not participate in your cock fight.

Xtinguish reopened the thread because he knows how to handle any given situation in a mature, professional manner. It's not that you lack the need; you lack the ability as well as the grounds to defend your recent actions. Your actions have been a complete joke and a total abuse of your Staff position. There's been a good several people who've spoken with me and agreed with my stance. It's gotten ridiculous; I think a large part of the problem is you taking yourself faaar too seriously. You need to just seriously chill the fuck out, basically.

╔═╗╔╗║╔╗╔╗║╚╗╠╣╠╣║║║║║║║
╚═╗╠╣║║║╚╝╩║╝╚╚╝╚╝╚╩╝
12-29-2015, 06:07 AM
I've dealt with you before in a mature manner. It doesn't really matter how politely I explain anything, you'll just come back and bitch about it as loudly as you can.
I really don't care if unnamed people agree with you. Unnamed people agree with me as well.
But it's not the revolutionary war. You're not going to overthrow me or some other ridiculous shit.

She/Her Pronouns

Check out my new blog!

Thread Closed