Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So I found this medal...
11-19-2016, 07:18 AM
It depicts Mary praying to a cross, which is shooting a green laser beam (for want of a better term) into her "third-eye" region, and there are cherubs behind her; anyone know the meaning of it? Am asking on impulse, this medal was found in a metal bar I used to hang out in all the time (strange place to find a Christian medal/pendant thing) at a time of spiritual upheaval for me, and I have it made into a charm now, just wondering had anyone any idea wtf it means or what the story is behind it?

"Miaow!" Says Boon. "Feck off" Says I.
11-19-2016, 07:27 AM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2016 07:33 AM by JintheNinja.)
is she kneeling? Is Christ crucified on the cross? Is she wearing a blue or grey robe?
As the resident "expert" on folk Catholic marianism I can help you, but I'd need to see it or know more about it.
Is she the only one on the medal? Is it orthodox style? Baroque? Colonial?
There are literally hundreds maybe over a thousand titles of Mary. And her at the foot of the cross usually means she's accompanied by either Mary of magdala (and more often she is the one depicted at the foot of the cross) and Mary of Bethany or both. That's why robe colour is really important.
And robe colour also informs her office.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-19-2016, 07:34 AM
It's either pulling you further along your path, or it's something from your previous "mode of living" trying to prevent you from progressing down your current path. In times of "spiritual upheaval" beware of wolves in sheeps clothing.

I am the high-magus of the ever-wrong. The more I know, the more I know I don't know - therefore I know nothing.
11-19-2016, 07:50 AM
I totally disagree kenpo. It's a symbol of guidance and protection. Maternal love, and spiritual grace. It's not a harkening back to the past.
11-19-2016, 08:08 AM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2016 08:11 AM by kenpodragon.)
Very possibly. However, let's say the original poster was breaking off their Christian upbringing and pursuing a path down with another pantheon. Could the medal be a medal of protection - sure, but it could also be something from their upbringing trying to keep them in their original path rather than having the courage to continue on the path they are currently pondering? In times of "upheaval" we tend to focus on those things which are familiar and comforting to us - instead of progressing, we can fall back into old patterns. Can this falling backwards lead to progression? Possibly, but at the same time it can very possibly prevent us from progressing further down any path.

I am the high-magus of the ever-wrong. The more I know, the more I know I don't know - therefore I know nothing.
11-19-2016, 08:30 AM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2016 08:43 AM by JintheNinja.)
So, Christianity is not a pantheon. Point blank. And pantheons are not interchangeable like wallpaper on an iPhone. If that's your position, then you don't know what you're talking about spiritually. That may be a Wiccan idea, but it's a poor position. Mary represents grace and intercessory power. It doesn't mean it represents the Roman or eastern rite as such, rather as she is Pavarti the queen of heaven, mother of goodness, as she is Durga compassionate mother of intercession. As she is Kali, mother of power, and queen of the world. As she is Sophia beacon of wisdom, grace in iniquity, love in hardship. As she is both the worldly and spiritual. The divine power of intercession, the embodiment of the spirt made manifest. Mary of magdala the curandera, Miriam the prophetess- the great alchemist. Fatima daughter of the hand of grace. The shekinah the compassionate, intercessory and most accessible face of the divine. The exorcist, the protectress, the benevolent, the teacher and the guide. The mother of mortality, the holy death, mother of bones, mother of 7 colours, mother of Angels, and the 7 days, the 7 planets and the 7 wisdoms (ways).

So your literal interpretation of finding something because it represents a link to the past, is in other words, un -spiritual, close minded and Protestant. Nothing to do with Mary.
11-19-2016, 08:43 AM
(11-19-2016 08:30 AM)JintheNinja Wrote:  So, Christianity is not a pantheon. Point blank.
Ok. Your definition.

If you read what was written - the medal could be one of either - a pull from the past or a push to the future. The only one claiming literal interpretations is yourself.

11-19-2016, 08:45 AM
Thanks for all the responses! I wasn't even gone long! Ok so it seems baroque, her robe is blue and it's just her from sort of ribcage upwards in an ecstatic sort of pose; I was brought up Catholic like most Irish but had my fingers crossed (literally - I was just too cool for school) during my confirmation Tounge After a long period away from any kind of Christianity it actually invoked a sense of warmth and safety during a time of complete uncertainty that was dominated by thoughts of evil things; it seems good and I do love it, I have it with a carnelian pendant and some hematite beads on a charm I made and though it gets lost in my house all the time it turns up just to let me know it's still here x'D

11-19-2016, 08:48 AM
It's not my definition. It's the definition of pantheon and then your permutation (subversion) of it. It isn't simply gods of another culture, that can be replaced, exchanged or subbed out. It is divine ideas. And actually my interpretation is far from literal- people can and do receive spiritual signs- and OP made a charm out of it. If you're biased against the sign, then don't answer the question, especially when you don't know enough on topic.
11-19-2016, 08:50 AM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2016 08:54 AM by Wylandriah.)
Oof - anyone need me to hold any earrings? xD

I have to say guys I'm empathising much more with Jin's take on it, she feels like a guiding force tbh

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  something strange I found dannerz 3 571 02-28-2013 10:21 AM
Last Post: Phil_B
  The Tablets of King Sargon - Source of Hebrew Bible Found Phil_B 5 1,337 02-23-2013 11:16 PM
Last Post: Phil_B