Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So I found this medal...
11-19-2016, 08:56 AM
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pantheon

Pantheon - the gods of a people. For Christianity this denotes the worship of One God but also the reverence of many entities. There is your pantheon. Spin it as you will, but pantheon none the less.

It seems that the OP had a fond affection to her medal and as such seems to be guiding her along the path she needs to be on. Your first assumption seems to be correct.

I am the high-magus of the ever-wrong. The more I know, the more I know I don't know - therefore I know nothing.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-19-2016, 08:56 AM
Also, Jin, she's alone in the foreground with the cherubs behind her, I'll have to track it down for a pic that could take a couple days it hides itself Tounge

"Miaow!" Says Boon. "Feck off" Says I.
11-19-2016, 09:00 AM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2016 09:09 AM by JintheNinja.)
@kenpo, ONLY the Roman and eastern rites believe in multiple spirits. Again your definition is flawed. And in those Mary isn't a God, she is divine. And xtianity actually has many permutations, henotheism, pantheism. Panentheism, syncretism strict vs subtle monotheism. All different. so whilst Judeo-Christianity represents a pantheon of ONE God (strictly biblically of course, since solomons temple had asherah enshrined and possibly Baal- hadad), pantheon actually much better describes an academic tendency to describe religion based on the Greek polytheist model. Which of course isn't universal. God can be a simple or complex idea. And the def you give of pantheon doesn't encompass cosmology which is better word, as creation is inherent in the myth,

That's what her role is wy, she doesn't have to be Mary of Catholicism, it's the divine feminine the power of God (in Judaism it is the female part of God, the Holy Spirit that interceedes not God in total). She of course can be Mary, and her role often surpasses that of Christ for Catholics as you may know.

More on the actual medal. Okay so it's Mary receiving "grace," blue is the colour of grace, her robe symbolizes her embodying that power. It's a guiding Mary, a protective mary. It's not a Mary of provision (one who provides material comfort), but a Mary of spiritual good. And encompassed by cherubs, also invokes her as Mary queen of Angels. I don't know if you work with angels, but she serves as a pillar to invoke them. Something to contemplate. Sounds really beautiful and I am sorry your thread got a bit off topic.
11-19-2016, 09:13 AM
(11-19-2016 09:00 AM)JintheNinja Wrote:  @kenpo, ONLY the Roman and eastern rites believe in multiple spirits. Again your definition is flawed. And in those Mary isn't a God, she is divine. And xtianity actually has many permutations, henotheism, pantheism. Panentheism, syncretism strict vs subtle monotheism. All different. so whilst Judeo-Christianity represents a pantheon of ONE God (strictly biblically of course, since solomons temple had asherah enshrined and possibly Baal- hadad), pantheon actually much better describes an academic tendency to describe religion based on the Greek polytheist model. Which of course isn't universal. God can be a simple or complex idea. And the def you give of pantheon doesn't encompass cosmology which is better word, as creation is inherent in the myth,

That's what her role is wy, she doesn't have to be Mary of Catholicism, it's the divine feminine the power of God (in Judaism it is the female part of God, the Holy Spirit that interceedes not God in total). She of course can be Mary, and her role often surpasses that of Christ for Catholics as you may know.

More on the actual medal. Okay so it's Mary receiving "grace," blue is the colour of grace, her robe symbolizes her embodying that power. It's a guiding Mary, a protective mary. It's not a Mary of provision (one who provides material comfort), but a Mary of spiritual good. And encompassed by cherubs, also invokes her as Mary queen of Angels. I don't know if you work with angels, but she serves as a pillar to invoke them. Something to contemplate. Sounds really beautiful and I am sorry your thread got a bit off topic.

^^^^^^^^^Listen to Jin, he's right on this one.
Its closer to a cosmology, a way of framing one's relationship with the universe.
Christianity is a Greek religion based in Henosis and Theurgy.
It might piggyback off the Israelite lore quite a bit, but it is infused with several mystical ideas from Orphism, Mithraism, and various gnostic sects including Pythagorean thought.

I remember someone here recommended Fideler's Jesus:Sun of God,
which basically explains all of this.

"For, precisely as when our souls are moved by some ordinary cause,
so the soul moves all the members of the body to contribute something
toward the accomplishment of a contemplated work."
- [X]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-19-2016, 09:14 AM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2016 09:51 AM by Wylandriah.)
kenpo I do appreciate your input, don't think I don't, and as someone who tends to "pick and choose" as people often say in a derogatory way I appreciate the distinctions and the info you've put forward Smiling

Thank you very much Jin! The beam is green however, is there any extra significance to that?

On a sort of side-note, my boyfriend had a dream a while ago about the afterlife - everyone was connected to a blue beam through their forehead and could ask any question and have it answered; it resonated with me for a lot of reasons.

Grace as a concept is a key issue in my life as well and it's comforting to think about Smiling

Don't apologise! The interplay of lighter and darker perspectives on this website is one of the reasons I find it so magical and refreshing, and I both appreciate that people took the time to answer and that I sparked a conversation Smiling keep going, guys, don't mind me!

11-19-2016, 09:32 AM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2016 09:40 AM by JintheNinja.)
Thank wy and amxha for bearing through my long winded ness. I have a sinus thing I am not my usual quick self. And thank amxha for that great eloboration. I totally agree.

Green is the colour (in liturgical Catholicism) of "hope" - Mary praying to the cross represents Mary contemplating the metaphorical death, suffering for her material loss (as a mother does) but knowing that God has a greater design and recognizing that. It's the colour of the Pentecost, the Holy Spirit. If you look at early paintings of Christs baptism by John, John is usually depicted as wearing green. Or the ray of the spirit is depicted as green.

If we take it a step further, green in Latin is the root of the word verdant ("viride"). Meaning earthly, fertile, abundant. So hope is abundant in the world full of misery as long as we look to grace. Grace being a thoroughly esoteric concept in Catholic lore, having many meanings. Grace can simply be the power to engage with spirit (theurgy as amxha so eloquently puts it) on behalf of suffering (the healing gift- the true power of the Mage), and it can also be a virtue of character, not to allow the mire of the world to lead us to more basal desires.

And as to your bfs dream. Well I believe the dead, both the elevated and the earthly are with us and around us. I don't know your particular practice. But something I could tentatively suggest is to bring in some pictures of your close relatives who have passed, and give them some light. Gabriel is often assigned to the illumination of awareness through the colours blue and white. Which again may or may not refer back to Mary queen of Angels.
11-19-2016, 09:41 AM
Thanks so much for that, Jin - you've really helped cast a new and more understanding light over the whole thing and I appreciate that so, so much; what you've said makes so much sense within the context of what was happening at the time that it can't just be coincidental Smiling Many thanks to you and to amxha ^_^

11-19-2016, 10:39 AM
I'd consider finding a token of Mary a positive thing, even if I am that Heathen guy disliking Christianity in general. Me and my ex-girlfriend found this little silver medal of Mary inside a handbag purchased at a thrift shop and it became one of our favourite objects for luck. I kept it for several years until making it an offering of some sorts, leaving it at some place significant at the time.

Awake becomes
what once was known,
forgetfulness is fleeting.
11-19-2016, 10:44 AM
She seems like such a loving, maternal energy doesn't she? I wasn't even considering her at the time and then I saw the thing and just felt sheer loveliness and such a sense of connection with being laser-beamed in the head x'D

11-19-2016, 10:47 AM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2016 10:49 AM by JintheNinja.)
plenty of room in the cosmos for spiritual symbols of all kinds. @hagen U really have the funniest luck when it comes to saints and Catholica. U always are getting and using them in some way. Doesn't diminish your heathen-ness. In fact I think it speaks to the spiritual truth it has. And that you're able to look at it in a broad ecumenical way, speaks to you as person.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  something strange I found dannerz 3 571 02-28-2013 10:21 AM
Last Post: Phil_B
  The Tablets of King Sargon - Source of Hebrew Bible Found Phil_B 5 1,336 02-23-2013 11:16 PM
Last Post: Phil_B