Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
So, is Christianity a form of magick / occultism?
04-20-2017, 05:28 AM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2017 05:29 AM by Zoom1.)
So, what is good to take from Christianity ? What practice or beleif from christianity worth it ?
From a point of view of spiritual and magickal growth ?

I was raised in a very wowo christian familly and sure there were strange things happening so that's why I haven't had a hard time beleiving in occultism. But what made me quitting Christianity is how my parents raised me and how it affected me badly. I wish I was raised normally.
But I do know Christianity has at least some power...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-20-2017, 06:42 AM
I can say yes Christianity can be considered to be magical and occultic act depending on the angle you look at it.
04-20-2017, 10:48 AM
(04-20-2017 05:28 AM)Kokonutts Wrote:  So, what is good to take from Christianity ? What practice or beleif from christianity worth it ?
From a point of view of spiritual and magickal growth ?

Depends on what type of Christianity you're practicing or studying.
At some point, if you are going to attempt to apply these teaching magically, you will find yourself walking down the path of the Gnostics and other mystical traditions.

But if you deprive yourself of the esoteric and just stick to the exoteric,
then you'll get nothing out of it beyond the surface.

It's basically up to the individual whether knowledge of something turns out to be fruitful or not.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-21-2017, 08:19 AM
I first noticed when I was 14 (around the first time I renownced Christianity) that once I had made it public knowledge, I was never treated or even looked at the same way. I could only stand this for so long before I had convinced myself life would be easier if I just conformed back with them. So I did, around 17. However, the original feeling that it wasn't right never left. And the looks and judgmental energies also never left. That culminated into me and my parents becoming un-co-habitable. I lived with friends for awhile. Then, around 18 1/2 I lived with them again to help them fix up their house to sell it and move to Malaysia, where they are now. I then lived with my grandparents for a bit while I had a job, that didn't work out once I lost my job. I then lived on the streets for awhile (taking breaks here and there stying with friends when possible) until I ran into an old friend whom took me in graciously. I stayed with him until I met my current life partner, which I then rotated between living with them (between Orland and Chico California) Then I got another job and lived with my sister for awhile, but after work told me I couldn't work until summer, my sister and everyone whom lived with us at the time told me I had to go. So I've pretty much been abandoned by the Christian community that I was raised in, including my own family. So I have a very complicated relationship with Christianity (and through my studies, in turn, all the Abrahamic faiths really) I'm a Gnostic Wiccan/Pagan. Speaking from personal experience.. I have found little to no Magic in the religion. Only oppression and suffering.
05-18-2017, 05:09 AM
A huge difference and physical/spiritual demarcation exists between institutional religion and spiritual practices. Another liminal border exists between dogmatism and practical / folk religion. The occult elements exist to the left of even folk religion. So speakin in general terms of monoliths. Yes Christianity has a very pronounced, recognized and accessible canon of occult philosophy and practice. However anyone looking to the institution of any denomination to access this knowledge, will be running a fools errand. There are practices that fluidly pass through each boundary, liturgical practices can easily be made occult, theological arguements that support the practice of, but it rarely goes the other way. But in speaking of insitiutional Christianity, we can't refer to something as broad as the entire canon (which includes to occult works) we have refer with specificity to what particular denom. The difference between a liberal Catholicism and an evangelical is actually religious difference (meaning both are seperate religions), rather than simply dogmatic.
05-18-2017, 08:14 PM
If you shift your perspective on the content of the bible yes. I have quoted the bible several times in my recent book to do just that.

When you understand the perspective of how you are reading it, it can be very enlightening.

The first few parts of Genesis when you take that perspective outlines the process of how it all works itself. I plan to do a book eventually on this very topic.

In many ways its ironic.

"Worship no other god before me"... You are the God, this is a concept of understand self divinity, never worship another above your own divinity.
05-19-2017, 05:00 AM (This post was last modified: 05-19-2017 10:33 AM by Mider2009.)
I don't think that line means that....but ok.
05-19-2017, 09:54 AM
@mider,
It doesn't. Not even in the multitudinous gnostic interpretations.
05-21-2017, 02:17 PM
(03-23-2017 09:14 PM)Zoom1 Wrote:  Hello.
The more i dig into occultism, the more i find it similar to Christianity. I come from a Christian family and we do strange stuff. Calling the name of Jesus or Hebrew name of God reminds me of words of power or spells in magick. We can also sense near or far future (most of the time slightly inaccurate) too just like in occultism. The Holy Spirit exists and occurs deep change within oneself. Just like any other spirit or familiar. Prayer sometime works too...

I don't follow anymore Christianity because of how it made my childhood crap, but I'm curious to why Christianity defend using occultism forces although it is already as mysterious as occultism? Heck people even summon angels. Also Christianity clams to be more powerful than occultism. Do you agree? Personally I moved to Christianity to occultism because I felt it can't help me anymore. Or more accurately Christianity and I aren't in the same line of thoughts. I can't certainly not pray God to help me bang chicks.

What do you think?

To answer your question, yes. Occult just means secret or hidden. So does Christianity have secret or hidden practices? Of course they do. All spiritual practices have a variation of "Mysticism" at the very top of the pyramid. Just as an example, receiving the Holy spirit is no different from a Kundalini Awakening. It's all about tapping into the God Consciousness, spirit binding, and invoking/evoking magick.

05-23-2017, 08:09 PM
Of course Christianity is magical and occult. Think transmutation of the bread into the Body of Christ and of the wine into the Blood of Christ, through the miracle of the Mass.

''Innocence, once lost, cannot be regained. Darkness, once gazed upon, can never be lost.''

John Milton

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Question About Christianity The God-King 275 12,051 02-20-2017 09:23 PM
Last Post: FarhnamDrunk
  Reconciling alternative beliefs and their basis in Catholicism/Christianity? Draca 11 650 09-23-2016 12:06 AM
Last Post: FarhnamDrunk
  Questions on Christianity for Occultists Warcloud 34 2,572 05-20-2016 09:41 PM
Last Post: Warcloud
  African Diasporic Christianity vs. European Christianity amxha 60 2,687 03-30-2016 01:26 PM
Last Post: amxha
  Ceremonial Magick? Luciferslight 12 1,294 10-24-2015 10:07 PM
Last Post: Luciferslight