Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Beginning
01-06-2017, 08:26 AM
Hey guys! Being at the comfy armchair for a long time, I am taking the beginning of this year as a fresh incentive to focus on practice... Hope I don't get distracted. Again.

I know most of you mix different traditions and have their own path, so I am happy to be here to learn stuff from different paradigms.

I love you guys Hehe
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2017, 06:23 PM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2017 06:24 PM by thescotty.)
Hey Spell, welcome to the forums Smiling

I was in your shoes and let me tell you man: There are A LOT of different disciplines, paradigms, methods... you name it. If you're the kind of person to easily get distracted (like myself) I suggest you pick something you like and learning it first before trying to branch out and trying different things. There's just too much! Have you ever seen a child in a candy/toy store? They want this! And that, too! NO, THIS ONE!! That's how I felt when I started. Then I focused down, zoned in on sigil magick and I've been learning everything I can about, and only about, sigil magick.

So yeah, if you're the kind to get distracted by the next shiny thing, I suggest you don't go looking for them. Pick one, develop the discipline to do it right. When you finally hit a wall because you want to do something that you can't in your preferred discipline, branch out. There's just too much information overload otherwise.

EDIT: Additionally, there's also the aspect that most disciplines "borrow" from other disciplines. So you'll eventually branch out whether you want to or not.

Also, sweet username. I'm surprised it hadn't been taken already!
01-06-2017, 06:36 PM
Welcome.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTgw1Fu1NEhJqtcNymPgK...D7k6i-usJw]
01-06-2017, 10:36 PM
(01-06-2017 06:23 PM)thescotty Wrote:  Hey Spell, welcome to the forums Smiling

I was in your shoes and let me tell you man: There are A LOT of different disciplines, paradigms, methods... you name it. If you're the kind of person to easily get distracted (like myself) I suggest you pick something you like and learning it first before trying to branch out and trying different things. There's just too much! Have you ever seen a child in a candy/toy store? They want this! And that, too! NO, THIS ONE!! That's how I felt when I started. Then I focused down, zoned in on sigil magick and I've been learning everything I can about, and only about, sigil magick.

So yeah, if you're the kind to get distracted by the next shiny thing, I suggest you don't go looking for them. Pick one, develop the discipline to do it right. When you finally hit a wall because you want to do something that you can't in your preferred discipline, branch out. There's just too much information overload otherwise.

EDIT: Additionally, there's also the aspect that most disciplines "borrow" from other disciplines. So you'll eventually branch out whether you want to or not.

Also, sweet username. I'm surprised it hadn't been taken already!

I know, right? It's easy to go down the rabbit hole. That's the beauty and the dangers of the occult.

You got it right. What's not to like about sigil work? HappyHappyHappyHappy
A sigil have a broad range of uses, and that's the most noticeable tool magicians use in different traditions.

Also, I've realised one can't research enough about magic at the point to feel safe. It got disfigured and pieced back together the best some people could, so it's not supposed to be perfect, not even safe.

Thanks for passing by! Smiling

(01-06-2017 06:36 PM)Death Is Coming Wrote:  Welcome.

Thank you!
01-06-2017, 11:56 PM
Welcome there! thescotty has some good advice there for you. I know I was one that jumped around until finally finding "home", and even then, my home gets a room added here and there Tounge

Find something that really calls your attention and stick to it. Also remember to practice the basics such as meditation, visualization, basic energy work and cleansing/protection. If you couple those things with whatever you go for, it should provide a decent foundation to branch out later like was mentioned. Speaking of branching, say you picked ceremonial magick as your "thing", and then a couple months later you find a tradition that really resonates with you; don't force yourself to stay on the path you initially chose. If something calls you, don't ignore it. There's a fine line between dabbling with anything and everything, and testing the waters of something you find interest in.

a speck in the sand in the desert of where...
01-07-2017, 09:10 PM
practice meditation dude it is the basis for everything ...
and welcome
01-07-2017, 09:28 PM
It's nice to read about other people that end up taming the urge to work everything ala Leonardo da Vinci Happy
Lovely! Your responses were of much help. Thanks to each of you guys!
01-08-2017, 04:11 AM
welcome.

[Image: ht019r-QALMNVhpVakYhQeekcPWE7voF3pUwS2TD...uGN9w=h310]
01-08-2017, 04:24 AM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2017 04:26 AM by bandaboy.)
Welcome. You are very lucky to have that armchair opportunity. Some in this forum including i did not have that privilege. The moment you discover the occult and through this find some one has been throwing negative magic through a powerful shaman, then you realize that you need to do something about it.
Enjoy the opportunity to research, and enjoy the best resources on the forum.
It might seem like a newb forum, but when you ask the right questions, the powerful magicians start replying.
Welcome.
01-08-2017, 06:05 AM
(01-08-2017 04:24 AM)bandaboy Wrote:  Welcome. You are very lucky to have that armchair opportunity. Some in this forum including i did not have that privilege. The moment you discover the occult and through this find some one has been throwing negative magic through a powerful shaman, then you realize that you need to do something about it.
Enjoy the opportunity to research, and enjoy the best resources on the forum.
It might seem like a newb forum, but when you ask the right questions, the powerful magicians start replying.
Welcome.
Thank you! Hope you had overcome such difficulties. Smiling