Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The magicians on Sci fi channel
02-02-2016, 01:55 PM
(02-02-2016 01:08 PM)The God-King Wrote:  
(02-02-2016 01:53 AM)Feywer96 Wrote:  I saw an advert on tele and thought about how it will create a whole new slew of idiots thinking thats how magic works. I dont care for shows of this nature.

This used to piss me off back in my early days. I'm a huge fan of Charmed and when I was in high school people would always ask me to do magic like they do and I'm like ITS JUST TV PEOPLE! It's the magic of Hollywood (read as editing), not real magic. Smh. People are too gullible. Sheep. The lot of them! Sheep! BAAAAA! (that's a sheep sound guys lol).

Oh god, I had idiots in highschool that would say, "oh you practice magic? Summon a demon right here dude, right now" and I'd laugh and say, "That's not how magic works!". Anyone producing 'instant magic' is fooling someone.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2016, 03:20 PM
The show portrays magic as instant, but the books they were based off of describe the art as laborious, intensive, and highly involved. It appears immediate, and there are fanciful elements, but they also memorize planetary positions, correspondance charts, and excruciating hand gestures.
Find all posts by this user
02-02-2016, 03:37 PM
(02-02-2016 01:55 PM)Feywer96 Wrote:  Oh god, I had idiots in highschool that would say, "oh you practice magic? Summon a demon right here dude, right now" and I'd laugh and say, "That's not how magic works!". Anyone producing 'instant magic' is fooling someone.

One girl asked me to shapeshift in the middle of class. I'm like " bitch if I could shapeshift the last place I'd be is sitting in health class!"

You sold your soul to me, need I remind you?

Occult Coaching & Spiritual Services
02-02-2016, 03:38 PM
(02-02-2016 03:20 PM)Arcanist Wrote:  The show portrays magic as instant, but the books they were based off of describe the art as laborious, intensive, and highly involved. It appears immediate, and there are fanciful elements, but they also memorize planetary positions, correspondance charts, and excruciating hand gestures.

That would provide a very boring show so I can see why they simplified it.

You sold your soul to me, need I remind you?

Occult Coaching & Spiritual Services
02-02-2016, 05:06 PM
They have to harry potterize it to make it more fantasy friendly. If they make a show with real reinacted rituals,etc the Christian Jewish Islam will boycott the show and not let anyone watch it. By making it overtly Fantasy its marketable because its obvious that its not real magic. And you know how much people hate real magic.. Always want to prove its not real.. Even to their own detriment.
02-25-2016, 11:17 AM
Late to the party but this is my favorite show that I actually watch right now!! Of course, you all summarized it pretty well as far as the fantasy aspect but nonetheless, since I know what I am watching and know thats not how real magick works, its a very entertaining show!!

"Demons I get....people are crazy"

http://www.themagickalelitesupplyshop.com/
http://www.themagickalelitesupplyshop.co...xs-classes
https://twitter.com/MagickalElite
02-25-2016, 11:27 AM
Anyone watching The Shannara Chronicles?
02-25-2016, 11:39 AM (This post was last modified: 02-25-2016 11:44 AM by Blackhandpath.)
2 phenomenal writers......JRR TOLKIEN.
and JK ROWLING.
They are Trend setters for sure.
As far as shameless, da bomb!!
Even liked the UK VERSION

Terry Brooks should be a Lil bit upset how the shanara series is going. But, it's drawing attention to his craft, so all good.
02-27-2016, 05:54 PM (This post was last modified: 02-27-2016 06:26 PM by juledianwindrider.)
(02-02-2016 03:20 PM)Arcanist Wrote:  The show portrays magic as instant, but the books they were based off of describe the art as laborious, intensive, and highly involved. It appears immediate, and there are fanciful elements, but they also memorize planetary positions, correspondance charts, and excruciating hand gestures.

They also say that generally pretty much everything accessible on the internet to the general Joe (us) is nonsense and rubbish, in other words we the 'outsiders', might if they (we) are lucky get a few spells to work, but can generally be referred to as 'hedge witches' or predominantly clueless.

In line with this thought - if you could do magic like blast a door off its hinges who would you show ? Who could you show ? Its on these grounds that sometimes I wonder. Does it mean because you've never seen it that it doesn't exist ? It would only be a matter of twisting manipulating energy in theory and we do that everyday. It may not even exist now, but I personally believe that magic will develop and does develop, after all, as we expand and develop in the universe we will become godlike to some more primitive life forms. God made man in his own image, in the beginning was the word. I for one wouldn't be at all surprised if there really IS a school like that out there, and people really can do such things. Maybe the astral is the key, I dont know. But alas at 46 I can rest pretty much assured, that I have absolutely no gift in that department, alongside all my other extraordinarily dull and weak mediocrities lol.

Over the years one begins to accept ones incapacities and falibilities; if not enjoy the lack of them in others more readily. My Motto is just coz you cant play darts, doesn't mean to say you cant throw darts. I'm thoroughly enjoying the audio book of The Magicians, its taking me back to the my teenage David Eddings days, sigh those books caused me to fail my O levels, but with a contemporary accent of swearing booze and sex, and still, still, even at 46, sometimes I wonder maybe even still hope that its true. Is that not magic in itself, the ability to wonder, the ability to apply reason, science and logic in order to formulate an opinion ? Perhaps this is WHY so few can actually do it ? There are no exactitudes in the universe, perhaps to apply reason and logic and scientific principles is to KILL ones true magical ability, IMAGINATION. I wonder whether and if you did become capable of such things, and were truly consider what may happen if you show anyone, you never would or could. A catch 22 ? Please, im tired just watching her.

J
08-25-2016, 02:35 AM (This post was last modified: 08-25-2016 02:42 AM by Master Elodin.)
(02-01-2016 10:56 AM)A LEADER Wrote:  Any of you watch it yet? Thoughts?
Its pretty good so far, ive got it recording to DVR. Gonna see where it goes.

Adore this TV series. Outside of magical practice have not actually watched any television in several years. Specifically watched this show.

It is a bit cheesy, but by the end of the first season it becomes thoroughly enchanting Wink

(02-02-2016 05:06 PM)A LEADER Wrote:  They have to harry potterize it to make it more fantasy friendly. If they make a show with real reinacted rituals,etc the Christian Jewish Islam will boycott the show and not let anyone watch it. By making it overtly Fantasy its marketable because its obvious that its not real magic. And you know how much people hate real magic.. Always want to prove its not real.. Even to their own detriment.

Hm, not sure if you have read the original novel series or not. It is an entirely unique magical system presented in the literature. The trilogy by Lev Grossman is also vastly deeper than the dramatic nadirs reached by the show.

It is always overtly fantasy in the novels as well, and there was no relation to real world magic in the novels either. Take Welters, for example, which was possibly based off of a conflagration of Quidditch, Chess and The Glass Bead Game Wink

The Magicians was a very adult and very dark samyam between Harry Potter and Narnia, and the television show managed an excellent portrayal of this.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell + The Magicians Yotam 4 215 01-20-2017 10:41 PM
Last Post: Fronin