Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The magicians on Sci fi channel
08-25-2016, 07:39 AM (This post was last modified: 08-25-2016 07:40 AM by Rashnu.)
It was hard for me to get into it but now I can't wait for the new season! It's not "Amazing" but it's damn good imo

In order to Hear, we must Listen; In order to See, we must Look; and in order to Understand we must Want To.
Nature is the teacher of art..
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-25-2016, 08:27 PM
(08-25-2016 07:39 AM)Rashnu Wrote:  It was hard for me to get into it but now I can't wait for the new season! It's not "Amazing" but it's damn good imo

I had similar misgivings at first. The first few episodes were quite awkward, and the actors were still clearly getting comfortable themselves.

There were several lines where it seemed incredibly poorly acted and rehearsed, but midway through the season it improves and becomes a good show.
Find all posts by this user
08-26-2016, 12:21 AM (This post was last modified: 08-26-2016 12:22 AM by The God-King.)
(08-25-2016 08:27 PM)Master Elodin Wrote:  I had similar misgivings at first. The first few episodes were quite awkward, and the actors were still clearly getting comfortable themselves.

There were several lines where it seemed incredibly poorly acted and rehearsed, but midway through the season it improves and becomes a good show.

That's what happens when every network and their mother is looking to cash in on the "original content" train. They're rushing out new shows like Marvel & DC is rushing out their sequels and reboots! Instead of rushing a pilot to series they should probably do a little more pre-production work and make sure everything is quality from the jump. Get a good director from day one, at least to do the pilot. Pete Berg is a phenomenal director and isn't above doing pilots for shows......most of which go on to become hits!

But I did like the show for the most part and if I was Syfy's Director of Development and Original Programming I would renew for season 2 but if season 2 doesn't surpass the quality of season one I'd be looking to either axe the whole show or sell off stakes and seek co-financing to spread out the risk or sell to Netflix.

You sold your soul to me, need I remind you?

Occult Coaching & Spiritual Services
08-26-2016, 06:27 PM
(08-26-2016 12:21 AM)The God-King Wrote:  
(08-25-2016 08:27 PM)Master Elodin Wrote:  I had similar misgivings at first. The first few episodes were quite awkward, and the actors were still clearly getting comfortable themselves.

That's what happens when every network and their mother is looking to cash in on the "original content" train. They're rushing out new shows like Marvel & DC is rushing out their sequels and reboots! Instead of rushing a pilot to series they should probably do a little more pre-production work and make sure everything is quality from the jump. Get a good director from day one, at least to do the pilot. Pete Berg is a phenomenal director and isn't above doing pilots for shows......most of which go on to become hits!

But I did like the show for the most part and if I was Syfy's Director of Development and Original Programming I would renew for season 2 but if season 2 doesn't surpass the quality of season one I'd be looking to either axe the whole show or sell off stakes and seek co-financing to spread out the risk or sell to Netflix.

Yes, I believe the original content frenzy has a part to play with why the series at first came across as highly unpolished.

The show was good, and it did try, but the shortcomings were highly visible in all areas of production, namely; the actors, especially the Penny character who managed to turn an Anarchistic planeswalking genius mage into a tough talking highly stereotyped 'cool frat boy' talking largely in the average stoner cliche lines. Very disappointing. The Alice character was fairly spot on, though they did attempt to make her into a Carrollian Alice.
Elliot is clearly the best character, Margot being the second imo.

I doubt that the second series will surpass the first, but I am open to being proven horribly wrong by the producers.
08-26-2016, 10:50 PM
(08-26-2016 06:27 PM)Master Elodin Wrote:  Yes, I believe the original content frenzy has a part to play with why the series at first came across as highly unpolished.

The show was good, and it did try, but the shortcomings were highly visible in all areas of production, namely; the actors, especially the Penny character who managed to turn an Anarchistic planeswalking genius mage into a tough talking highly stereotyped 'cool frat boy' talking largely in the average stoner cliche lines. Very disappointing. The Alice character was fairly spot on, though they did attempt to make her into a Carrollian Alice.

I doubt that the second series will surpass the first, but I am open to being proven horribly wrong by the producers.

They definitely should take notes from MTV's The Shanara Chronicles on what NOT to do. Lol.

You sold your soul to me, need I remind you?

Occult Coaching & Spiritual Services
08-26-2016, 11:30 PM
(08-26-2016 10:50 PM)The God-King Wrote:  
(08-26-2016 06:27 PM)Master Elodin Wrote:  Yes, I believe the original content frenzy has a part to play with why the series at first came across as highly unpolished.

They definitely should take notes from MTV's The Shanara Chronicles on what NOT to do. Lol.

Lol. Indeed.
Or, Legend of the Seeker for that matter.
08-26-2016, 11:44 PM
(08-26-2016 06:27 PM)Master Elodin Wrote:  
(08-26-2016 12:21 AM)The God-King Wrote:  

Yes, I believe the original content frenzy has a part to play with why the series at first came across as highly unpolished.

eh, gotta disagree with them being the best characters. I am partial to Julia and Penny....

"Demons I get....people are crazy"

http://www.themagickalelitesupplyshop.com/
http://www.themagickalelitesupplyshop.co...xs-classes
https://twitter.com/MagickalElite
08-27-2016, 01:21 AM
(08-26-2016 11:44 PM)Magick La Croix Wrote:  
(08-26-2016 06:27 PM)Master Elodin Wrote:  
(08-26-2016 12:21 AM)The God-King Wrote:  That's what happens when every network and their mother is looking to cash in on the "original content" train. They're rushing out new shows like Marvel & DC is rushing out their sequels and reboots! Instead of rushing a pilot to series they should probably do a little more pre-production work and make sure everything is quality from the jump. Get a good director from day one, at least to do the pilot. Pete Berg is a phenomenal director and isn't above doing pilots for shows......most of which go on to become hits!

eh, gotta disagree with them being the best characters. I am partial to Julia and Penny....

Julia is great. Penny, I just really liked the novel character so the show character didn't meet that standard.
08-27-2016, 02:52 AM
(08-27-2016 01:21 AM)Master Elodin Wrote:  
(08-26-2016 11:44 PM)Magick La Croix Wrote:  

Julia is great. Penny, I just really liked the novel character so the show character didn't meet that standard.

Understood.....I never read the novel so I am pretty much going off of the show itself....

"Demons I get....people are crazy"

http://www.themagickalelitesupplyshop.com/
http://www.themagickalelitesupplyshop.co...xs-classes
https://twitter.com/MagickalElite
08-27-2016, 02:58 AM
(08-27-2016 02:52 AM)Magick La Croix Wrote:  
(08-27-2016 01:21 AM)Master Elodin Wrote:  
(08-26-2016 11:44 PM)Magick La Croix Wrote:  eh, gotta disagree with them being the best characters. I am partial to Julia and Penny....

Understood.....I never read the novel so I am pretty much going off of the show itself....

For the show alone he is a pretty good actor and character, yeah.