Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Understanding The Symbolism of Evocation Tools
02-18-2013, 01:16 AM
One must understand the symbolism and cosmology of the tools and circle before one can substitute or omit them

Recently I've been saying this a lot but I realized that I really don't explain what I mean. It was a post that I made in Euoi's "Solomonic Evocation" thread that made me realize that I haven't gone into detail of what I mean by that statement. I hope to clear it up in this thread.

Each and every tool in Grimoire Tradition evocation has an underlying mean, it represents something. The post I made in Euoi's thread was about the sword. I made the statement that the sword represents the element of Fire and is used as a punishment tool (though it has other uses) in Solomonic evocation. This is what I was referencing. One must understand what the tools represent and why. How is the sword used to punish the spirit? (by using the sword to put the seal into the fire) Why is it the sword and not the wand? (the wand represents air, which is an intelligence element, not an element of physical punishment). These are questions the novice needs to ask about the tools and have answered.

Unfortunately the grimoires themselves don't go into detail as they were written with the expectation that the magician already knew these things. Hence why I always say the magician should have at least a year's experience,if not more, in ritual magic (not basic spell casting) before venturing into evocation. However, just asking the above questions won't bring the novice to full understanding. Using the Hexagram of Solomon as an example:

[Image: 47641_300.jpg]

You can see the Sacred Names and appellations inscribed on the hexagram. What do they mean? How do they function and for what purpose. Luckily for me the work has already been done. See this site:

http://theoccultandmagick.blogspot.com/2...agram.html

Whether the author is a practicing magician or an armchair theorist doesn't matter. He explains each and every part of the hexagram, it's meaning, purpose and even the etymology and origins of certain words and prefixes. This is the extent the novice must go to in order to understand the ritual mechanics. The same study must be done with the circle and the names around it. One must have a thorough understanding of each and every ritual element before they can substitute it for something else.

Another thing the magus must understand is that the reason that Grimoire Tradition generally does not require one to enter a trance state to perform evocation like many modern methods do (though it does and can help) is because the tools help the magician enter this state subconsciously. Each tool is strategically placed and used in certain ritual aspects in order to place the the magus in the required state to perceive spirits. But doing it yourself consciously won't harm the ritual process.

The above is why there are hundreds of grimoires in the Grimoire Tradition, all with different tools and ritual requirements. Their authors understood the underlying mechanics of things and was able to pretty much create their own system by omitting and/or substituting tools. This is why the Grimorium Verum differs from the Grand Grimoire which varies from the Key of Solomon which is different than De Nigromancia.

Hopefully I've been able to shed some light on what I mean by "understanding the symbolism behind the tools". Please keep in mind that understanding ritual elements isn't required for the practice of evocation in the grimoires proper. But if you want to substitute anything or take anything out you must understand the hows and whys of that tool before you remove it. Good luck.

You sold your soul to me, need I remind you?

Occult Coaching & Spiritual Services
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-18-2013, 05:55 AM
I read on another occult forum that the symbolism of the Lionskin belt is that it identifies the wearer with a solar demi-god. As The Lion/Leo is ruled by the Sun, and such demi-gods as Herakles defeated a great Lion and wore his skin. In the same post, it suggested that the lionskin can be substituted with a belt engraved with the 12 zodiac signs (12 labors of Herakles) and consecrated with the power of Leo and the sun.
What do you think of this?

To me, I see the obvious problem in that Herakles was a Greek hero, and the Lemegeton is written in a Jewish context. Though, of course, one could argue that Solomon had many Pagan wives and this may have influenced him.
But there is also that Herakles is the son of Zeus, not Helios or Apollo, therefore a demi-god of the planet Jupiter.

She/Her Pronouns

Check out my new blog!

http://crossroadsofsaintsanddevils.blogspot.com/
Find all posts by this user
02-18-2013, 06:38 AM
(02-18-2013 05:55 AM)Euoi Wrote:  I read on another occult forum that the symbolism of the Lionskin belt is that it identifies the wearer with a solar demi-god. As The Lion/Leo is ruled by the Sun, and such demi-gods as Herakles defeated a great Lion and wore his skin.

I can't say that I agree. Here is a good explanation of the lionskin belt:

Quote:The Lion skin girdle is, imo, one of the least real important tools. First of all, it was not a Lion, it was a Lyon. This animal is known now as a civet - and is not actually a feline. Gird about with civet is a reference to wearing a perfume of the holy annointing oil. The king would wear such a hide as part of his office. I am no such kind, so there is no need to wear it. I do use humanely derived civet musk though. Of course, this is produced by the civet and back it the day it was probably very available to make a hide belt. Many Magicians before the black plague had domesticated civets as familiars and they were very common in virility workings in Asia and Africa. They are very intelligent and were believed to be one of the most medicinal animals there was. http://www.jstor.org/pss/4330947

The confusion comes from the fact that in Near Eastern languages, there are hundreds of words in Hebrew and Arabic that were just translated as "Lion". Zabad is the word which means "civet" and was often translated as "Lion" when Islamic Magic merged in the near total occupation of Spain before the exile of the Jews which was the beginning of the European Solomonic revival. By then, there was a lot of the work that had seen variation.

The word Lyon, was taken from the greek λεων, itself an invented word, from the Aramaic Lebhi (Levi). It is not the creature Aryeh. Levi means to "I am [become] the heart" as was cognate to the entrance of a lion to a pride as a means to stop a war. This is why they say the name means "Joined." This is from roots meaning "L" "eb "hi", I am the STRONG of L; thus the victor of a struggle. The CHAMPION. Thus the "lion skin" belt is a championship belt. Furthermore, I think the lionskin belt is from the lore of constellation known as Orion, as the belt of the three Kings, or Wise Men. This constellation Orion is known in Assyrian as the "The Shepherd of Heaven." The constellation in Hebrew is Kesil, and means "stupid brute." In Aramaic it is Nephil, and its descendents are called the "Nephilim." Goliath was a nephelim, and so the belt being of the Lebhi makes sense, but this would be the belt of David, who was quite small.

19 words are said to mean Lion in the bible. I think one of the best example that simply illustrates this is incorrect is the following: Psalms 91:13

In the Vulgate, this is written as such:
super aspidem et basiliscum calcabis conculcabis leonem et draconem

This means "Upon" "the basilisk," the false king," "the lion" "shall make his way", and [shall make his way through] the dragon.

This is in King James:
Thou shalt tread upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon shalt thou trample under feet.

Powerful image, but is it fitting for the image of small david slaying mighty in stature goliath?

The Aramiac reveals a different theme:

'al sahal wa-peten tidrok tiormos kephir wa-tannin

First of all the word "Lion" or Aryeh is NOT found. We see two words translated as such, Shalal, and Kepir. Shalal means "the mightiest roar" and the "kepir" means bursting forth. The mightiest animal in terms of roaring is not the Lion, but the Tiger. The tiger's roar can travel over two miles further than the Lion. Shalal fighting a "pethen" is a mighty battle indeed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTCAmaxG ... re=related

As for the Kephir, it is an animal making its way through the "dragon." This is the family of the creatures we know as mongoose http://www.reshafim.org.il/ad/egypt/bestiary/civet.htm

Some people clearly know this such as Aryeh Kaplan, whose name means "Lion" "Tiger."
Also, you may not know this but the Tiger is the animal of virility ande power - its sanskrit name is even "vyagra"

The reasons are simple, a translation often encouters words that are not in the language - especially in the case of animals, where the vietnamese word for civet translates in english in general to "fox." Keep in mind most civilizations never had a concept as sophisticated as species. Theophrastus, in the 4th Century B.C. tried to organize a crude idea of species of plant - and he found some peoples had 500 words for the same plant! As it is in Arabic there are hundreds of words that are translated as Lion without a glance. The civet was the most fragrant of the belts and when the Bedouin were discovered, they used civet hide and musk to depict their tribal authories. Therefore, I think the civet is the appropriate animal.

(02-18-2013 05:55 AM)Euoi Wrote:  In the same post, it suggested that the lionskin can be substituted with a belt engraved with the 12 zodiac signs (12 labors of Herakles) and consecrated with the power of Leo and the sun.
What do you think of this?

I cannot comment on substitution here, I have never used the lionskin belt. I don't practice from the Goetia directly, I only evoke the spirits within. I work from other grimoires such as the Black Dragon and the PGM.

02-18-2013, 06:50 AM
So is the lionskin belt even needed?
By the way, how would you use the PGM to conjure goetic spirits?

She/Her Pronouns

Check out my new blog!

02-18-2013, 07:35 AM (This post was last modified: 02-18-2013 07:36 AM by The God-King.)
(02-18-2013 06:50 AM)Euoi Wrote:  So is the lionskin belt even needed?

I haven't used the PGM to evoke Goetic spirits, only planetary spirits but the process would be the same. Switch out names and seals and maybe a tool or two here and there and you should be gold. Can't say for sure though as I've evoked Goetic spirits exclusively with the Black Dragon.

I can't speak honestly on the need of the lionskin belt. I use a totally different grimoire to evoke from. I only use the Goetia for the tools and spirits, not the ritual format. Due to this I have never had a need for the lionskin belt, but then again, I've never used the Goetia ritual format. To stay true to the grimoire I still recommend getting it. If you want to omit it you have to understand what it is that you're omitting....hence this thread.

02-18-2013, 08:26 AM (This post was last modified: 02-18-2013 08:26 AM by Harry.)

Of course it's needed look at what it says on the pentacle of Solomon, OVBDYH Obadiah, through greco-phoenician Αβδιού "I serve YH(VH)"
BLALTON "The Lord' conjunct of "Ba'al al" and ton [The Name of] the Lord [is] Lord of Lords
BLANI I am your Ba'al Consider also: Bello is war in proto-latin I am thy Warlord (i.e. Leader of thy armies)
OLYH Uplifted by YH(VH) I am uplifted by YHVH I am uplifted by YH(VH)
OLYZH Your Great Joy The Great joy of You Your Great (Joy)

Meaning [The Name of] the Lord [is] Lord of Lords
I am thy Warlord (i.e. Leader of thy armies)
I am uplifted by YH(VH) Your Great (Joy).

This identifies you as the leader of YHVH's armies, which is exactly what the lionskin belt says.

It identifies you as the King/warlord.

I am Moses Thy Prophet, unto Whom Thou didst commit Thy Mysteries, the Ceremonies of Israel.

1+4+7+12+32+42+72+93+156+111+358=888=ΙΗΣΟΥΣ=YHShVH=
326=3+2+6=11=418/2=0=358=7=151=ALP HH YVD HH=
YHVH ALHYM YHVH AChD
02-18-2013, 09:30 AM
(02-18-2013 08:26 AM)Harry Wrote:  look at what it says on the pentacle of Solomon, OVBDYH Obadiah, through greco-phoenician Αβδιού "I serve YH(VH)"
BLALTON "The Lord' conjunct of "Ba'al al" and ton [The Name of] the Lord [is] Lord of Lords
BLANI I am your Ba'al Consider also: Bello is war in proto-latin I am thy Warlord (i.e. Leader of thy armies)

This identifies you as the leader of YHVH's armies, which is exactly what the lionskin belt says.

Good info on the meanings.

02-19-2013, 06:57 AM
(02-18-2013 08:26 AM)Harry Wrote:  

Of course it's needed look at what it says on the pentacle of Solomon, OVBDYH Obadiah, through greco-phoenician Αβδιού "I serve YH(VH)"

Ah, thanks for explaining that to me. I'm just looking for a way to possibly save myself money (Not that I'm cheap, but money is a bit tight nowadays).

Is there another way one could identify oneself as a King/Warlord of YHVH's army?

She/Her Pronouns

Check out my new blog!

02-19-2013, 07:02 AM (This post was last modified: 02-19-2013 07:04 AM by Harry.)
(02-19-2013 06:57 AM)Euoi Wrote:  
(02-18-2013 08:26 AM)Harry Wrote:  

Ah, thanks for explaining that to me. I'm just looking for a way to possibly save myself money (Not that I'm cheap, but money is a bit tight nowadays).

Is there another way one could identify oneself as a King/Warlord of YHVH's army?

Of course, there are other tools, such as a crown and the like also praying regularly and even taking communion before evocation basically puts you on good grounds for evocation.

Basically look and find out what makes sense that would establish you in such a position. The lion skin belt is just one thing that establishes it, even your circle and robe establishes it.

I am Moses Thy Prophet, unto Whom Thou didst commit Thy Mysteries, the Ceremonies of Israel.

1+4+7+12+32+42+72+93+156+111+358=888=ΙΗΣΟΥΣ=YHShVH=
326=3+2+6=11=418/2=0=358=7=151=ALP HH YVD HH=
YHVH ALHYM YHVH AChD
02-19-2013, 07:19 AM
(02-19-2013 07:02 AM)Harry Wrote:  
(02-19-2013 06:57 AM)Euoi Wrote:  
(02-18-2013 08:26 AM)Harry Wrote:  Of course it's needed look at what it says on the pentacle of Solomon, OVBDYH Obadiah, through greco-phoenician Αβδιού "I serve YH(VH)"

Of course, there are other tools, such as a crown and the like also praying regularly and even taking communion before evocation basically puts you on good grounds for evocation.

Basically look and find out what makes sense that would establish you in such a position. The lion skin belt is just one thing that establishes it, even your circle and robe establishes it.

Well, I'm not allowed to take communion, being unbaptized and all (unless, non-Catholic denominations do that too, but I don't feel like that would be "right").
And I would only pray to the Abrahamic God in preparation for evocation, like I already set a date for it. Not just regularly pray to him in anticipation that I might perform an evocation soon.
I think I might end up having to shell out 300 bucks.

Unless! Could I make a belt, not of lionskin, but imbue it with the qualities it represents? Like, tying in with what I said a few posts ago, calling down the powers of the Sun and Leo to consecrate the belt?

She/Her Pronouns

Check out my new blog!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Physical vs. Visible Evocation: Which is Better? The God-King 58 6,223 Today 01:28 AM
Last Post: The Artis Magistra
  How evocation feels and look like Calicifer 0 113 03-24-2017 12:28 AM
Last Post: Calicifer
  invocation évocation anges goétie anges magie blanche village97 0 46 03-23-2017 07:05 PM
Last Post: village97
  Evocation failure Plinto 30 840 03-12-2017 11:41 AM
Last Post: Reizo
  In Solomonic evocation Dman3213 2 125 03-08-2017 04:08 AM
Last Post: amxha