Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Understanding The Symbolism of Evocation Tools
01-01-2014, 02:51 PM
I've never used the full Goetic method, but the lion skin belt seems to me to be a symbol of attainment, a symbol of something worked for and earned through vigorous effort. Im just speculating, but that's how I've always looked at it. If it is the case, the skin of any highly predatory animal would be a suitable substitute; bear or bobcat here in the US would fit if you ask me.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-02-2014, 01:28 AM
(01-01-2014 02:51 PM)Andreeje Wrote:  I've never used the full Goetic method, but the lion skin belt seems to me to be a symbol of attainment, a symbol of something worked for and earned through vigorous effort. Im just speculating, but that's how I've always looked at it. If it is the case, the skin of any highly predatory animal would be a suitable substitute; bear or bobcat here in the US would fit if you ask me.

I've never used a lion skin belt, then again I never needed one as I don't work with the Goetia for my evocations so the text I use doesn't require it. However, it seems that the belt is the least used tool from the Goetia, probably because it is one of the hardest to acquire. I found this post by a far more experienced magician than myself. He seems to have a handle on the lion skin belt and it's origins and meaning/symbolism:

Quote:The Lion skin girdle is, imo, one of the least real important tools. First of all, it was not a Lion, it was a Lyon. This animal is known now as a civet - and is not actually a feline. Gird about with civet is a reference to wearing a perfume of the holy annointing oil. The king would wear such a hide as part of his office. I am no such kind, so there is no need to wear it. I do use humanely derived civet musk though. Of course, this is produced by the civet and back it the day it was probably very available to make a hide belt. Many Magicians before the black plague had domesticated civets as familiars and they were very common in virility workings in Asia and Africa. They are very intelligent and were believed to be one of the most medicinal animals there was. http://www.jstor.org/pss/4330947

The confusion comes from the fact that in Near Eastern languages, there are hundreds of words in Hebrew and Arabic that were just translated as "Lion". Zabad is the word which means "civet" and was often translated as "Lion" when Islamic Magic merged in the near total occupation of Spain before the exile of the Jews which was the beginning of the European Solomonic revival. By then, there was a lot of the work that had seen variation.

You sold your soul to me, need I remind you?

Occult Coaching & Spiritual Services
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-11-2016, 01:45 AM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2016 02:10 AM by Knight of the Temple.)
(02-18-2013 06:38 AM)The God-King Wrote:  
(02-18-2013 05:55 AM)Euoi Wrote:  I read on another occult forum that the symbolism of the Lionskin belt is that it identifies the wearer with a solar demi-god. As The Lion/Leo is ruled by the Sun, and such demi-gods as Herakles defeated a great Lion and wore his skin.

I can't say that I agree. Here is a good explanation of the lionskin belt:

Quote:The Lion skin girdle is, imo, one of the least real important tools. First of all, it was not a Lion, it was a Lyon. This animal is known now as a civet - and is not actually a feline. Gird about with civet is a reference to wearing a perfume of the holy annointing oil. The king would wear such a hide as part of his office. I am no such kind, so there is no need to wear it. I do use humanely derived civet musk though. Of course, this is produced by the civet and back it the day it was probably very available to make a hide belt. Many Magicians before the black plague had domesticated civets as familiars and they were very common in virility workings in Asia and Africa. They are very intelligent and were believed to be one of the most medicinal animals there was. http://www.jstor.org/pss/4330947

The confusion comes from the fact that in Near Eastern languages, there are hundreds of words in Hebrew and Arabic that were just translated as "Lion". Zabad is the word which means "civet" and was often translated as "Lion" when Islamic Magic merged in the near total occupation of Spain before the exile of the Jews which was the beginning of the European Solomonic revival. By then, there was a lot of the work that had seen variation.

The word Lyon, was taken from the greek λεων, itself an invented word, from the Aramaic Lebhi (Levi). It is not the creature Aryeh. Levi means to "I am [become] the heart" as was cognate to the entrance of a lion to a pride as a means to stop a war. This is why they say the name means "Joined." This is from roots meaning "L" "eb "hi", I am the STRONG of L; thus the victor of a struggle. The CHAMPION. Thus the "lion skin" belt is a championship belt. Furthermore, I think the lionskin belt is from the lore of constellation known as Orion, as the belt of the three Kings, or Wise Men. This constellation Orion is known in Assyrian as the "The Shepherd of Heaven." The constellation in Hebrew is Kesil, and means "stupid brute." In Aramaic it is Nephil, and its descendents are called the "Nephilim." Goliath was a nephelim, and so the belt being of the Lebhi makes sense, but this would be the belt of David, who was quite small.

19 words are said to mean Lion in the bible. I think one of the best example that simply illustrates this is incorrect is the following: Psalms 91:13

In the Vulgate, this is written as such:
super aspidem et basiliscum calcabis conculcabis leonem et draconem

This means "Upon" "the basilisk," the false king," "the lion" "shall make his way", and [shall make his way through] the dragon.

This is in King James:
Thou shalt tread upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon shalt thou trample under feet.

Powerful image, but is it fitting for the image of small david slaying mighty in stature goliath?

The Aramiac reveals a different theme:

'al sahal wa-peten tidrok tiormos kephir wa-tannin

First of all the word "Lion" or Aryeh is NOT found. We see two words translated as such, Shalal, and Kepir. Shalal means "the mightiest roar" and the "kepir" means bursting forth. The mightiest animal in terms of roaring is not the Lion, but the Tiger. The tiger's roar can travel over two miles further than the Lion. Shalal fighting a "pethen" is a mighty battle indeed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTCAmaxG ... re=related

As for the Kephir, it is an animal making its way through the "dragon." This is the family of the creatures we know as mongoose http://www.reshafim.org.il/ad/egypt/bestiary/civet.htm

Some people clearly know this such as Aryeh Kaplan, whose name means "Lion" "Tiger."
Also, you may not know this but the Tiger is the animal of virility ande power - its sanskrit name is even "vyagra"

The reasons are simple, a translation often encouters words that are not in the language - especially in the case of animals, where the vietnamese word for civet translates in english in general to "fox." Keep in mind most civilizations never had a concept as sophisticated as species. Theophrastus, in the 4th Century B.C. tried to organize a crude idea of species of plant - and he found some peoples had 500 words for the same plant! As it is in Arabic there are hundreds of words that are translated as Lion without a glance. The civet was the most fragrant of the belts and when the Bedouin were discovered, they used civet hide and musk to depict their tribal authories. Therefore, I think the civet is the appropriate animal.

(02-18-2013 05:55 AM)Euoi Wrote:  In the same post, it suggested that the lionskin can be substituted with a belt engraved with the 12 zodiac signs (12 labors of Herakles) and consecrated with the power of Leo and the sun.
What do you think of this?

I cannot comment on substitution here, I have never used the lionskin belt. I don't practice from the Goetia directly, I only evoke the spirits within. I work from other grimoires such as the Black Dragon and the PGM.

No offence to you, but to the orignal author, raum215, peddling his usual pseudoscientific form of paleo linguistics, I mean nothing but offence. It's not a good post, but long-winded blathering hiding behind an apparent learnedness based upon making assertions with which no orthodox linguistic authorities will likely concur.

1.Lyon is nothing but an archaic spelling of lion common at the time the Ars Goetia was written.

2. There is no evidence that the part of the Ars Goetia dealing with the lion skin belt was translated from a Semitic source - or any other source for that matter - so the point is moot and the long, winding, questionable discussion of the Bible translation irrelevant.

(02-18-2013 05:55 AM)Absinthe Wrote:  I read on another occult forum that the symbolism of the Lionskin belt is that it identifies the wearer with a solar demi-god. As The Lion/Leo is ruled by the Sun, and such demi-gods as Herakles defeated a great Lion and wore his skin. In the same post, it suggested that the lionskin can be substituted with a belt engraved with the 12 zodiac signs (12 labors of Herakles) and consecrated with the power of Leo and the sun.
What do you think of this?

To me, I see the obvious problem in that Herakles was a Greek hero, and the Lemegeton is written in a Jewish context. Though, of course, one could argue that Solomon had many Pagan wives and this may have influenced him.
But there is also that Herakles is the son of Zeus, not Helios or Apollo, therefore a demi-god of the planet Jupiter.

In the ancient system of the 12 Olympians, Jupiter is the ruling deity of Leo, which implies kingship, as the lion indeed does.

More to the point, the view of the girdle as astrological in significance is correct (the texts itself, which is the same as that of the circle, is of astrological significance) and it doesn't need to be linked to Hercules; the Hebrews were well-aware of the Zodiac. The zodiac is known as the girdle of the heavens, and Leo the king of the Zodiac - the conclusion is obvious.

[Image: Image9.jpg]

Gershom Scholem, Jewish Gnosticism, Merkabah Mysticism, and Talmudic Tradition
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Physical vs. Visible Evocation: Which is Better? The God-King 47 6,024 Today 08:12 AM
Last Post: The God-King
  invocation évocation anges goétie anges magie blanche village97 0 27 Yesterday 07:05 PM
Last Post: village97
  Evocation failure Plinto 30 807 03-12-2017 11:41 AM
Last Post: Reizo
  In Solomonic evocation Dman3213 2 119 03-08-2017 04:08 AM
Last Post: amxha
  Sallos Evocation and Results TR109 3 276 03-07-2017 11:31 AM
Last Post: Magus_austriacus