Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WF School of Magick
12-19-2015, 02:28 PM
Yeah absolutely right, Vitki. I think we'd only be able to offer a strictly theoretical course. Our students would learn of the importance of good habits like meditation etc. They receive knowledge only and no practical experience. It would be an armchair approach which is obviously sub-optimal but better than nothing at all IMO. Knowledge is not a burden to carry!

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-19-2015, 02:39 PM
It's not that knowledge is a burden. It's that the study of different systems in the beginning of a students path is counterproductive to the student attaining results.

The beginning witch(etc) should focus solely on the path they are going to practice until they have a solid foundation and practice that is deeply ingrained in them. Before that, learning multiple, and almost always conflicting traditions will cause the mind to create blocks in their practice.

For example

If you are taught the color for the element of air is yellow, like in the golden dawn, but are also studying bardon or eastern (Indian) magic where the color of air is blue. You will create contradictions in yourself

Another example is the Chinese five elements vs the western five elements.

After you are firmly rooted in your tradition (by which I mean at least 2 years of consistent study and practice), then you are able to look at other traditions without getting caught up in them. Able to pick out knowledge and adapt it for you without it or you losing potency
Find all posts by this user
12-19-2015, 02:55 PM (This post was last modified: 12-19-2015 02:57 PM by Harvey.)
Quote:It's that the study of different systems in the beginning of a students path is counterproductive to the student attaining results.

I'm not saying one should half-ass ten different systems all at the same time and dabble in a bit of this and that without ever reaching any significant depth in any one discipline... The school would simply test peoples' knowledge of certain topics. As far as I can envision, it will never say, "do xyz ritual". Instead, it'll explain what the xyz ritual is, how and why it's used etc.

In this sense, there's nothing counterproductive about learning about a wide spectrum of topics. But I agree that it would be silly to do this if the course involved prac work and/or a vested, closed-minded belief in the discipline's teaching.

Quote:If you are taught the color for the element of air is yellow, like in the golden dawn, but are also studying bardon or eastern (Indian) magic where the color of air is blue. You will create contradictions in yourself

Unless you're okay with saying the following, "the colour for the element of air is yellow as taught in the Golden Dawn but in Eastern magic the colour of air is blue". People are aware now of two perspectives and one contradiction = 3 knowledge points! Besides, I think the course will be a one subject at a time approach instead of multiple. Could be wrong about that though.

12-19-2015, 03:12 PM
Well I'm sure it'll all turn out fine Smiling do you guys have a rough outline of what everyone is going to teach yet?
Find all posts by this user
12-19-2015, 11:14 PM
Nope! Haven't drafted up a curriculum as of yet. Still to confirm a few things with the big dogs upstairs but hopefully we'll have some more news re this shortly. Smiling

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  A no-trolling personal magick journals section Lady Eva 10 1,284 03-18-2015 08:57 PM
Last Post: Harvey
  Wizard Forum's School of Magic The God-King 70 5,082 02-10-2015 02:21 AM
Last Post: Frater.Akenu
  Folk Magick Forum guero 17 1,598 08-27-2014 03:56 AM
Last Post: Mider2009