Post Reply 
 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Westworld
10-07-2016, 05:35 AM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2016 05:38 AM by xannie.)
Post: #1
Is anyone watching Westworld?

This is a new HBO series that started last Sunday. It is a science fiction story projected in a world where we have cured every disease and our AI and machinery is highly advanced. The story is told loosely from the perspective of the AI where they inhabit a virtual reality world where human patrons can come to experience it. Like all AI stories, they become self-aware. The main difference with Westworld however is that the AI does not appear to be identified as an Other.

The Atlantic also wrote a compelling article on the show:
"Even Shelley, so far ahead of her time, told her monster’s story—despite his extensive monologues—from the perspective of her human narrators.
Westworld expands the circle once again. The series doesn’t merely present androids as protagonists or victims. It grants them the defining victory of the outsider: the right at last to tell—haltingly, given their emergent capacities—their stories for themselves."

What are your thoughts on this?

"And the soul, if it is to know itself, into a soul must look. The stranger and the enemy, we saw him in the mirror." Seferis
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2016, 08:09 AM
Post: #2
Fucking AMAZING! Reminds me of the show 'Humans,' but better done.

╔╩═║║╔╗╦║══╩╗════════════╗
║══╠╣╔║║║═══║════════════╚
╣══╝║╚╩╩╚╝══╚╔╗║╦╔╗╦╗╔╗║╦║
╔═╗╔╗║╔╗╔╗║╚╗╠╣╠╣║║║║║║║
╚═╗╠╣║║║╚╝╩║╝╚╚╝╚╝╚╩╝
╚═╝╝║║║║╚║╚╝════════════╔
╚╦═════════╦╝════════════╝
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2016, 08:36 AM
Post: #3
Did you watch Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex?

I think that is probably my favorite series up to now that deals with the subject of AI advancement. The Tachikoma story line and repeated discussion on cybernetic implants always fascinated me.

The thing in Westworld is that the AI's physically inhabit 3D printed bodies and look human. I'm expecting the show to get much darker than GITS.

"And the soul, if it is to know itself, into a soul must look. The stranger and the enemy, we saw him in the mirror." Seferis
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2016, 09:02 AM
Post: #4
I watched a little of the Ghost in the Shell series. Extremely thought provoking show. I should have watched it more thoroughly. I love how the AI's getting a subconscious. In 'Humans,' dude just discovered a code that lead to 'consciousness.' I also liked shows like the original .hack//sign. Shit was wild!

╔╩═║║╔╗╦║══╩╗════════════╗
║══╠╣╔║║║═══║════════════╚
╣══╝║╚╩╩╚╝══╚╔╗║╦╔╗╦╗╔╗║╦║
╔═╗╔╗║╔╗╔╗║╚╗╠╣╠╣║║║║║║║
╚═╗╠╣║║║╚╝╩║╝╚╚╝╚╝╚╩╝
╚═╝╝║║║║╚║╚╝════════════╔
╚╦═════════╦╝════════════╝
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2016, 09:05 AM
Post: #5
Well it's only the pilot but so far it's pretty good. They're hoping it replaces Game of Thrones since it's going to be finished after another 2 or 3 seasons. They're betting $100 million on it so it kind of has to be good. I do hope that the acting gets a bit better. There were several scenes where I knew I was watching a TV show. I don't like when that happens. Film and TV are designed for escapism. The pilot only took hold of me for about 80% of the show. The rest I was fully aware that this is a set, with actors, they're just reciting lines, etc. It didn't feel real for that remaining 20%. If they can fix that issue, I think we have a real GoT replacement on our hands!

Other than that, good show. Anthony Hopkins is worth that $175,000 per episode he's getting.

You sold your soul to me, need I remind you?

Occult Coaching & Spiritual Services
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2016, 11:34 AM
Post: #6
(10-08-2016 09:05 AM)The God-King Wrote:  Well it's only the pilot but so far it's pretty good. They're hoping it replaces Game of Thrones since it's going to be finished after another 2 or 3 seasons. They're betting $100 million on it so it kind of has to be good. I do hope that the acting gets a bit better. There were several scenes where I knew I was watching a TV show. I don't like when that happens. Film and TV are designed for escapism. The pilot only took hold of me for about 80% of the show. The rest I was fully aware that this is a set, with actors, they're just reciting lines, etc. It didn't feel real for that remaining 20%. If they can fix that issue, I think we have a real GoT replacement on our hands!

Other than that, good show. Anthony Hopkins is worth that $175,000 per episode he's getting.

Those scenes weren't the ones purely involving the robots though, was it? If so, this may have been intentional. They're still robots, and they aren't done integrating that 'subconscious ' program Hopkins programmed for them.

╔╩═║║╔╗╦║══╩╗════════════╗
║══╠╣╔║║║═══║════════════╚
╣══╝║╚╩╩╚╝══╚╔╗║╦╔╗╦╗╔╗║╦║
╔═╗╔╗║╔╗╔╗║╚╗╠╣╠╣║║║║║║║
╚═╗╠╣║║║╚╝╩║╝╚╚╝╚╝╚╩╝
╚═╝╝║║║║╚║╚╝════════════╔
╚╦═════════╦╝════════════╝
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2016, 12:28 PM
Post: #7
I just watched ep 2 on HBO Now and thought it was pretty good. I did not get the sense that I was watching a TV show though like TGK mentioned.

"And the soul, if it is to know itself, into a soul must look. The stranger and the enemy, we saw him in the mirror." Seferis
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2016, 01:19 PM
Post: #8
I dont get the channel but i was a fan of the original movie and its sequel. Never saw the short lived tv show before this reboot.

[Image: bear%203.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2016, 04:40 AM
Post: #9
(10-08-2016 11:34 AM)Shadow Wrote:  Those scenes weren't the ones purely involving the robots though, was it? If so, this may have been intentional. They're still robots, and they aren't done integrating that 'subconscious ' program Hopkins programmed for them.

The one scene that stood out was when (sorry I don't know character names yet) the main character robot chick was on her knees about to get beat up or sexually assaulted by that one old guy. Then that young dude came around and tried to stop him. He pulled out his gun and shot but nothing happened to the first man. The first man then used his gun to shot the other guy. The robot guy then died. That whole scene was poorly done. It was almost as if they were running late with shooting time and rushed through it. Terrible scene with terrible acting. None of it was believable in my opinion.

You sold your soul to me, need I remind you?

Occult Coaching & Spiritual Services
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-15-2016, 05:47 AM
Post: #10
Good news. The show got renewed for season 2!

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/westworl...201917477/

You sold your soul to me, need I remind you?

Occult Coaching & Spiritual Services
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply 


Forum Jump:


User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)