Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are the most essential herbs.
01-09-2018, 06:24 AM
What are the most essntial herbs one should have in magick? What are the herbs/plants that ate universaly used the most?

thanks to all who answer
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2018, 01:54 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2018 02:11 PM by Scottish_Pride.)
Vanilla’s thing is adding power to a spell, that’s pretty versatile and useful.

Sage or Angelica for when shit gets ugly and you need an exorcism. I know lots of people say that only white sage works, but having had it work in a very scary pinch with nothing else I’d beg to differ.

Lavendar is good for mental and emotional problems, it’s the one who coddles when really needed.

Lemons are good for clearing things out in an uplifting way, a great trick is to clean your ritual tools with a lemon peel

Jasmine seems to be very strong for healing matters of the heart. Just smelling them makes my chest area feel suddenly relieved.

Rue is effective for bouncing back hexes.

Rosemary is a classic if you’re a student and want to keep up grades. Wrap a sprig in a paper talisman with the spell written out and seal closed with string or a rubber band of corresponding color. Keep it in your binder or schoolbag, have it by your side at tests. I like to have it on the right-hand side and a “success” rock talisman or some sort of lucky charm on the left.

Patchouli is a common thing for grounding or earthy-type stuff.

Blackberry is sacred to Brigid.

Coffe is a grounder after rituals, especially with milk or something fatty.

Oranges, hibiscus, red/hot pink rose, chamomile and vanilla are a crazy, crazy effective combo for dates. PM me for the recipe I figured this out with.

And having been through too damn many exorcisms than one would ever care for, if salt was an herb I’d say to add it to the list in a heartbeat. Yes, yes, yes. Strange hotels can potentially be dangerous when it comes to hostile spirits, so either a protective amulet or an exorcism kit consisting of a smudge stick and salt is recommended if you’re the type who tends to run into spirits.

If you’re working with Fae, growing your own stuff is the best, most guaranteed way to make you popular with them wherever you go. Just potted plants will do, there are methods to doing it well that I’ll be more than willing to talk about.

If you want, I’ll send you a PDF for a very good herb book I have as reference. It also gives beginner instructions and overview for the various methods of using them.

I would love to hear more on the subject of what plants others have found work well! This is a question that’s been running through my mind lately, as it’s the time of year I begin planning this year’s new garden plantings.

There is one real moral in this world when you think about it, and it's called "Don't Be A Dick".
01-09-2018, 02:52 PM
I would appreciate the pdf reference book!
Theres so much to learn it feels like it would take forever.

I always wanted to know why cinnamon for example is such a big deal. why do these herbs work? is it the chemical nature or just correspondences? or both?
01-09-2018, 05:56 PM
1-Cinnamon to draw money and love also used for gambling luck and for business as well.
in hoodoo it's popular to put few drops of cinnamon essential oil to a bucket of water then you would use the water to wash your business from the front to the back to draw in more customers and sales
2-Chamomile money, luck in gambling, break hexes and money jinxes. Drink it before meditation or spell work it will relax and calm you down
3-Basil wealth, abundance, protection, protects the house from evil
4-Ginger adds heat to love spells draw money, and for protection
5-Nutmeg my fav. To use in money luck, gambling luck, money drawing, or luck in general.
6-Orange and lemon whether the essential oil or the dried peel I like to use them in attraction work and by attraction I don't mean love it could be anything I'm trying to attract love,money,career etc..
7-Cloves money, protection, and gambling luck
8-Red/cayenne pepper or black pepper cursing, cause people to break up, move unwanted people away from your life, protects repel and reverse negative energy or curses
9-Sage cleanse the house also reverse jinxes
10- bay leaves uncrossing
11- frankincense protection, burn on charcoal to cleanse the house, or burn it when you are doing spells to increase the power of your work.
I read somewhere that if you burn frankincense while performing a ritual it protects you from negative entities and only allow beneficial spirits to come I don't know if it's true.
12- Anise protect from the evil eye and from misfortunes. Helps increase clairvoyant abilities and induce prophetic dreams.
13- rosemary protection, ward off evil from the house and bring good luck and peace to the house as well. Not related to magick but rosemary is good for hair and scalp.
14- jasmine used in love spells and to enhance psychic abilities I like to use the essential oil in an oil diffuser I feel it helps uplift the energy in the house
15- Mint prosperity, ward off evil, repel enemies, break jinxes, add to floor wash to cleanse the house.
16- and finally sea salt I agree with Scott although not a herb but I Def think it should be added to the list.
And to answer your question these herbs work because they have a spirit you talk to the herb and tell it what you want
01-11-2018, 05:20 AM
Sage. If you pick one, it should be sage.

Don't make me put my wizard shit on. I mean fucking business when I've got my wizard shit on.
01-11-2018, 06:18 AM
There aren't really any herbs that are used universally, because there aren't really any herbs that grow universally. Every climate has its own plants, and most plants can only grow in a couple of environments. Some can't grow out of their environments even with a ton of effort. Do you have any idea how hard it is to grow Frankincense or Dragonsblood? Surprised

The best thing you can do, if you're serious about learning Herb Craft in depth, is learn what plants are native to the place you live and learn how to use those magically. Don't just rely on correspondences or other people's opinions either. Go hiking and look for them, grow some of them even if it's just in a small pot, and talk to them. Let the plant spirit tell you what it can be used for, what you can use it for, in your own pursuits and with your own skill set.

Define your goals, meet your neighbors, and then make a list of your most essential herbs.

~:Shin:~

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-11-2018, 06:58 AM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2018 07:00 AM by Scottish_Pride.)
Very good advice, Shin. And yes, even the Genghis Khans of the planet world that pop up as weeds on multiple continents still have their limits due to different environments. I like to look for the most invasive weeds physically possible where I live and find a use for them. Or what I can grow.

If I try to look it up though, it seems like often I have to switch sides of the planet in terms of sources for researching them. On one hand, the bulk of the wild plants that ever have info on them outside of a botany database are from Asia specifically native to the new world, very often from South America. On the other, of course everybody and their dog tries to grow the plants from the old world that survived being forced by European colonists to live in this fucking furnace of a region centuries ago. Maybe that shit worked back in the paradise of a climate where the 13 colonies were, but there comes a point where you gotta fucking adapt. I’m not bitching though. At least if it’s an annual you can usually still grow the colder-climate plants in the dead of winter where they’d normally be grown in the summer back home. In Soviet Russia, summer kill plant.

What I often like to do when it comes to learning correspondences is go out and talk to the plant first, then for shites and giggles I’ll look up correspondences if available to see if it lines up with what people say.

There is one real moral in this world when you think about it, and it's called "Don't Be A Dick".
01-11-2018, 07:36 PM
Thanks for everyone who replied/ies
01-12-2018, 12:03 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2018 12:16 PM by JintheNinja.)
elder flower - reverse, protect, cleanse

eucalyptus- repels, reverses, cleanse

hyssop- cleanse, purify, mild protectant

angelica - does about everything, reverses, protects, gives power, invokes angels, exorcises, cleanse, blockbuster, etc etc

solomon’s seal root - gives power and wisdom, repels, reverses, exorcises, purifies

thuja- protect, cleanse, gives voice to prayers, sanctifies, gives personal power

nutmeg- as already mentioned on of the best money draw herbs - probably first in line.

cinquefoil- gives the hand of power, cleanse, protect, draws money, love, and power, opens roads.

rose- kind of an unexpected powerhouse- cleanse, renew, love, sanctification, open roads

bay laurel- highly protectant, success, reverse

blue flag- strongest money draw root

household herbs ie garlic , cinnamon, ginger, anis, fennel, oregano

agrimony- reverses, protects, empowers to success

guinea pepper- power, luck, protection

high john- success, power, wisdom, block bust, protects, luck

all the resins - frank, myrrh , dragons blood, camphor , benzoin, mastic /sweetgum, coral

essential oil of bergamot - gives personal power, success , keeps enemies from besting you.

if i could only choose a small bit of my apothecary those would be it.

but if i curated the list for scottish pride

i’d include my southern allies- pokeweed, guinea hen weed, jimsonweed, texas hibiscus, passionflower, pepperweed, epazote, butterfly weed (pleurisy), indian paint flower, agarita, wild bergamot (monarda).

could do a lot of work with any of the above.
01-12-2018, 01:45 PM
(01-12-2018 12:03 PM)JintheNinja Wrote:  elder flower - reverse, protect, cleanse

eucalyptus- repels, reverses, cleanse

hyssop- cleanse, purify, mild protectant

angelica - does about everything, reverses, protects, gives power, invokes angels, exorcises, cleanse, blockbuster, etc etc

solomon’s seal root - gives power and wisdom, repels, reverses, exorcises, purifies

thuja- protect, cleanse, gives voice to prayers, sanctifies, gives personal power

nutmeg- as already mentioned on of the best money draw herbs - probably first in line.

cinquefoil- gives the hand of power, cleanse, protect, draws money, love, and power, opens roads.

rose- kind of an unexpected powerhouse- cleanse, renew, love, sanctification, open roads

bay laurel- highly protectant, success, reverse

blue flag- strongest money draw root

household herbs ie garlic , cinnamon, ginger, anis, fennel, oregano

agrimony- reverses, protects, empowers to success

guinea pepper- power, luck, protection

high john- success, power, wisdom, block bust, protects, luck

all the resins - frank, myrrh , dragons blood, camphor , benzoin, mastic /sweetgum, coral

essential oil of bergamot - gives personal power, success , keeps enemies from besting you.

if i could only choose a small bit of my apothecary those would be it.

but if i curated the list for scottish pride

i’d include my southern allies- pokeweed, guinea hen weed, jimsonweed, texas hibiscus, passionflower, pepperweed, epazote, butterfly weed (pleurisy), indian paint flower, agarita, wild bergamot (monarda).

could do a lot of work with any of the above.

I have never read about pokeweed being used in any magical practices. Could you elaborate on it specifically please? I am very curious! It grows everywhere in my neck of the woods.

I'm crazy, getting crazier.. Trying to figure out how things work and what's possible.Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Spiritual and Magical Properties of Essential Oils - Excellent Resource whatis777 0 381 11-15-2015 10:18 PM
Last Post: whatis777
  Where to Get Herbs guero 30 2,304 04-26-2015 05:11 PM
Last Post: Hagen Van Horne