Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What is the function of fear?
12-18-2016, 03:51 AM
What is the origin of fear in your opinion? Should we leave without it or learn to live with it?

I'm asking because I realised I can't really live without fear, so there must be a hidden message in fear I can't understand yet. I kinda thought I had no fear, but reality is far more frightening than thoughts. It's different when the danger is there in front of you.

I'm saying this because a big spider came into my house (probably poisonous) and I felt a genuine and pure fear, like never before. Like I said, it's easy to say you have no fear of something, when you're not really confronting it.

So, I thought that maybe we can't ever be without fear, you just do things with fear or without it. I was worried about the occult, I must admit I'm afraid of it and I thought I was unworthy because of it, like someone was denying my evolution, when in fact it was all me. As I see now, fear is natural, you can't be like a superhero or something all the time. Life is scary.

By the way, I managed to capture and save her.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-18-2016, 04:26 AM
Fear is a natural and healthy response informing us that we are entering a dangerous situation. It is encoded in our genetic makeup as a means of protection and a signal to ensure our species survival. As you said "life is scary", but imagine how much scarier it was for our most distant ancestors who were not the apex predators of their landscape. Life is not only scary, but very delicate and it is the fear response that is designed to protect the fragility of our physical existence. It is because of the ability of our ancestors (going at least as far back to the first Australopithecenes) to recognize fear and adapt accordingly that we are here today.

Courage comes from acknowledging the fear response and being able to act responsibly and maintain control of the situation, it does not come from being fearless. To be fearless - that is, to not acknowledge the fear response, is to be reckless.Those who claim to be fearless will tend to make bad and irresponsible decisions in situations of peril because they don't acknowledge the danger. We will never truly get over fear and that is a good thing as it keeps us aware and alert, but if we hide behind it we are just making an excuse to not act - and in most cases it is an excuse to save us the hardship of leaving our comfort zone.

There are spirits that still scare the shit out of me to this day. But magic and spirit work is about walking that liminal threshold between what is known, safe and comfortable and that which is unknown, dangerous and sometimes downright terrifying.

We should own our fear and control it, learn to act by acknowledging the perils that it heralds and not be crippled by it. In the end progress is about pushing boundaries, and fear is that gatekeeper that we must all acknowledge, confront and master, but never ignore.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-18-2016, 11:03 AM
Life is not only scary, but very delicate and it is the fear response that is designed to protect the fragility of our physical existence.
12-18-2016, 11:55 AM
in three simple words: to scare you...!!

By honor to G.A.D.U..!!
12-18-2016, 12:19 PM
Please be cognizant of where you post threads. We have specific sections for a reason. Please pay attention before posting a new thread. Moving this to a more appropriate section.

You sold your soul to me, need I remind you?

Occult Coaching & Spiritual Services
12-19-2016, 10:08 AM
Well said Leonardo, it really widened my view. As I see now, fear is natural and should not be erased from us n any way, but we must be sincere about it, though. It's not a problem to admit you're afraid, the problem lies in denying your fear. If something is hostile to you, of course you should be afraid. It doesn't matter if it's a spider, a god or a demon. Admit your fear is better than playing cool and denying it.

Sorry OP, I'll be more conscious next time.
12-20-2016, 01:43 AM
When fear turns into a paralyzing debilitating terror is when you have problems. Sonetimes a little fright can pep your emotional engines.

[Image: bear%203.png]
12-20-2016, 05:51 AM
HPA Axis, Cortisol, fight or flight.

"I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living" ~ A. N.
12-20-2016, 06:46 AM
I usually see fear as a teacher. I dont think fear is bad unless it controls you - if it blocks you from doing what you want then that is of course no good. But if you learn how to face your fears you can learn a ton from them.

Of course there is also an aspect of fear where you see a bear in the woods and feel scared and know it isnt safe and you need to be careful..... Also acting as a teacher in this fashion.

Face your fears, and fear will become and ally. Let your fears control you and fear will be your prison. The way you respond and react to fear determines your relationship with it.

12-20-2016, 06:49 AM
Fear has long been considered extremely important. Fear is also the eternal state of those given awareness and the gateway to all knowledge (ironically or weirdly or whatever lol).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Removing all fear Detta 31 2,314 08-25-2013 12:20 AM
Last Post: Haziel
  Fear of Unpredictability Phil_B 12 1,487 03-22-2013 06:17 AM
Last Post: Asmodean