Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's your opinion on Quantum Physics?
08-15-2014, 10:41 AM
Okay....this has been dead for 8 months, I know...but, having been interested in the field for some time...have stick, will poke.

Asmodean nailed it. Anything than can be quantified as quantum physics (re: mechanics) is basically an accepted concept that falls into an ever-growing subcategory of Physics. These are generally accepted as proven "laws", with solid and tested mathmatical equations as backing.

The vast majority of what the public VIEWS as quantum physics is actually best defined as "quantum theory", another (inarguably more complex) branch of theoretical physics.

As Below, so Sideways.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-15-2014, 11:03 AM (This post was last modified: 08-15-2014 11:03 AM by HenochiusSimon.)
I spent a lot of time getting a layman's understanding of quantum math and physics / mechanics; as much as is possible with zero skill in math or physics.

I know a few scientists and engineers that really dislike quantum theory.

I get entirely pissed off when quantum mechanics, or math, or theory is used in any way to describe spiritual, religious, mystical realities. Its really fucking n00bish, and especially the physicists that basically wanted to become celebrities, going on film and TV and whatnnot touting the glories of how quantum mechanics and the unified field are what mystics have called God ... its total horseshit, dont buy it.

I ran into an amazing compilation of Essays by Ken Wilber. He basically curates the mystical writings of the actual founders of Modern Mechanics, including Einstein, Pauli, Schrodinger, Plank, and a bunch of others. Its called "Quantum Questions", and it is amazing because all the founders of mechanics were actually profoundly mystical and spiritual people, just like Newton was more of an alchemist than anything else.

They all say the same thing ... quantum mechanics is a language that describes the objective universe, but is not the objective universe itself. It has no business being used as an analogy to the realm of the spiritual/aesthetic.

T

My God is will and triumphs in his paths
My God is love and sweetly suffers all
~ Aurobindo from 'Savitri'

Shit Happens, Flowers Grow
~ Bloom Shop Motto
08-15-2014, 11:03 AM
Here is an interesting video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2clykIEvyz8

It takes the sadness of life
To appreciate the beauty of death~
08-15-2014, 11:11 AM
At first I was all like ... ok, here we go ... but that was actually really good and says what I was trying to say in my above post very clearly.

the part where he says that physics and lab based work is not to be intermingled with 'meaning' ... is a really good point.

He suggests that views on this matter are changing, but I disagree with the implication (its subtle) that the next gen scientists will be more open to discussing what the meaning of their results are.

good video.

T

~ Bloom Shop Motto
08-15-2014, 11:21 AM
(08-15-2014 11:11 AM)HenochiusSimon Wrote:  At first I was all like ... ok, here we go ... but that was actually really good and says what I was trying to say in my above post very clearly.

the part where he says that physics and lab based work is not to be intermingled with 'meaning' ... is a really good point.

He suggests that views on this matter are changing, but I disagree with the implication (its subtle) that the next gen scientists will be more open to discussing what the meaning of their results are.

good video.

T

I agree with your statement, Also if I may add. I like your signature:shit happens, flowers grow.

08-15-2014, 11:29 AM (This post was last modified: 08-15-2014 11:29 AM by HenochiusSimon.)
me and another Ram (aries) met and used to run together here and there in a tiny mountain town in Colorado, getting into trouble in the name of spirituality or some shiz we told ourselves Cool . We partied a lot, and he wrote a whole theme song based on the concept. But we were all on our own benders and going through dark times; its amazing the friends you meet during such times. It was like a Zen koan to us, and would get expanded into waxing poetic and stuff:

you can love me
you can hate me
I'm just here to let you know
keep shoveling your shit
cause the flowers' gonna grow

T

~ Bloom Shop Motto
08-15-2014, 11:38 AM
I like that allot, I'm going through my own dark night of the soul. And that statement makes sense.

08-26-2014, 08:30 PM (This post was last modified: 08-29-2014 05:02 AM by richardjack67.)
Quantum physics deals with the behavior of the smallest things in our universe

http://www.tripedition.com/7-Day-Yellows...-Park.html
09-15-2014, 08:53 AM
True richard but at a scientific standpoint that term is being thrown around way too often for my liking, its really about how objects on a quantum scale relate to the universe around it... or is it about objects on regular scale and how they behave with quantum scale mechanisms?, hence where the math comes in, To truly understand quantum physics you first would have to look at dynamic systems, then have an understanding on other systems. Its progression that is taken too lightly, sure Quantum physics sounds fun and exciting, hence why it is so well liked, in reality, Newton proposed a theory on dynamic systems, start there, that's where the excitement of quantum physics comes in. They are trying to figure out how everything relates to one another to better understand the universe, doing this on a quantized scale is a good idea (imo) however, they are having problems in the math area due to lack of understanding in the field of Chaos theory, trying to add up all these equations into a working model is a lot more complex than most people think.. they cant even understand the chaotic nature of electrons, that being said, where is quantum physics really going?.. Its going to be a long journey to understand objects on a quantized scale then when and if they do they just may change beliefs on how things work on a classical scale.
I'm no expert, and have trouble understanding the math as well, however.. understanding quantum physics is something I rather enjoy trying to do.

In order to Hear, we must Listen; In order to See, we must Look; and in order to Understand we must Want To.
Nature is the teacher of art..
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-15-2014, 03:12 PM
As above, so below, quantum scales are relative to a big picture. All relative in small and big numbers!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  olin perceptron physics nadir 5 1,134 12-14-2016 02:33 PM
Last Post: SteampunkScientist
  Quantum Physics radicalrave 10 777 03-19-2016 12:45 AM
Last Post: Knight of the Temple
  The Tao of Physics magari 1 321 02-24-2016 05:47 AM
Last Post: GuruWithin