Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to get religious icons?
12-20-2016, 09:16 AM
Do any of you happen to know of any places online where I could buy reasonably priced Catholic/orthodox icons?

✝ In nomine patris et filii et spiritus sancti ☦
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-20-2016, 09:28 AM
eBay is by far the best, what's the Greek guys handle,... gianniscollected, I ve ordered tons of things from him multiple times. He will bundle shipping for you and is super reasonably priced and really nice guy too. You ll find a lot of the more interesting saints as orthodox icons-including Cyprian. Don't buy just to buy though, wait until something comes up you REALLY like, it's wor having patience. Even with the santo statues, avoid etsy if you can, there is also a former seller eu collected that sells monastery icons from their website on solid wood. I bought a wood Saint Michael santo from Guatemala a couple years ago on etsy, it was really pricy and the shipping almost made me faint, and although the seller was nice, it was certainly not the quality I would have hoped for the price. There is another seller, who has awesome antique Mexican and Guatemalan statues but they're super pricey but they are super amazing quality. However because I can't and won't pander to falxifer crowd I will only give the link in pm.
12-20-2016, 01:59 PM
Wow, that sounds like a really exciting shop!
12-21-2016, 01:53 AM
There must be a shop or a religious shop you can look up in your area to find what you're looking for
12-21-2016, 02:51 AM
(12-21-2016 01:53 AM)Nightwolf Wrote:  There must be a shop or a religious shop you can look up in your area to find what you're looking for
I've tried but the only thing I could find is a gift shop run by some carmelite nuns, that has really inconvenient business hours that don't go well with my gift shop. Plus I don't really want to make the time to go there if I'm not even sure they have any.

Plus I'm looking for a very specific saint to get an icon of that they probably won't have.

✝ In nomine patris et filii et spiritus sancti ☦
12-21-2016, 03:27 AM
You can look up Catholic giftshops near you and call them ahead of time. Also, you might at least be able to nab a prayer card which is effective for working with a saint, tho I do prefer statues because they can be draped in rosaries or other ex voto charms. I actually have a really old statue of a saint passed down to me from my family and he is literally COVERED in rosaries, each one for a prayer answered.
Anyway, I've had trouble looking for saint icons before. Even when I prayed to the saint, I would not be able to find one. Then, when the time was right, I'd miraculously discover one on amazon or another place. So you might want to start with a prayer card and work your way up. Icons are kind of a commitment imo.

She/Her Pronouns

Check out my new blog!

http://crossroadsofsaintsanddevils.blogspot.com/
12-21-2016, 06:19 AM
Can I ask what Saint? Just because I have a couple resources for the obscure ones. But of course I fully understand why you wouldn't want to say.

The Catholic gift shop at the shrine here (our lady of perpetual help) also is only open weds and every last Sunday of the month 12-4 both times, so really inconvenient. But most of my starter prayer cards and statues came from there. Like absinthe very cogently says, it's very much okay to start with a prayer card and work forward. Something will come up somewhere after you've put in some time. Vintage prayer cards are a great option also. There is an eBay seller from Portugal who has really nice ones.
12-21-2016, 06:32 AM
Well, if you are ever in Budapest...there is this place on Castle Hill that has one of the most beautiful collection of religious icons that I have ever seen Tounge

[Image: IMG_6540-e1482265661450.jpg]

But yes, as Absinthe and Jin have mentioned, try your local catholic gift shop or a dealer on ebay or elsewhere online. Best option would be to try to get one from an area of the world where the saint in question is highly venerated as they will have more varried and more unique options.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-21-2016, 06:34 AM
Leo, that shop looks amazing! R u based in Budapest?
12-21-2016, 06:47 AM
(12-21-2016 06:34 AM)JintheNinja Wrote:  Leo, that shop looks amazing! R u based in Budapest?

No, I wish!! I'm in the US. I was recently in Central Europe and absolutely fell in love with Budapest...the people, the architecture, the culture and food are simply amazing.

That store Artikon is beautiful though, didn't really cater to the saints my family venerates, but nonetheless well worth the visit for anyone who finds themselves in the city.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  encountered religious creature jadedagony 2 206 03-13-2017 07:21 PM
Last Post: FarhnamDrunk
  The Phenomenon of New Religious Movements Feywer96 18 888 12-16-2016 06:12 AM
Last Post: The Artis Magistra
  magician and religious at the same time barach713 7 656 05-17-2016 12:07 AM
Last Post: barach713
  Religious Figures and the HGA altesatmar 2 491 05-20-2015 02:53 AM
Last Post: altesatmar
  What is the religious purpose of life? C4Vendetta 13 1,651 08-25-2012 09:01 PM
Last Post: dawayesmeeth