Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to get religious icons?
12-21-2016, 07:31 AM
I would love love to visit Central Europe. I have never been, Hungary has always held a lot of interest for me. Very cool. I don't eat wheat, but from what I've had in general the food does seem quite appealing.

The eastern rite saints are very appealing, and I love orthodox art. I am just exploring it more now, as I wasn't that exposed to it before. I love the mysticism and asceticism.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-21-2016, 07:32 AM
Magical hotspot!
12-21-2016, 09:31 PM
I wish the world wasnt so enraged in wars. I wanted to be an archaeologist as a child but funding and other paths led elsewhere. Think of the religious past that could be unearthed.

Now i read of destruction of ancient sites across the world. Thats sad but part of me knows they exist somewhere in time, space, thought in an exalted paragon form.

[Image: bear%203.png]
12-22-2016, 03:45 AM (This post was last modified: 12-22-2016 03:47 AM by Santamuerte.)
(12-21-2016 06:19 AM)JintheNinja Wrote:  Can I ask what Saint? Just because I have a couple resources for the obscure ones. But of course I fully understand why you wouldn't want to say.

The Catholic gift shop at the shrine here (our lady of perpetual help) also is only open weds and every last Sunday of the month 12-4 both times, so really inconvenient. But most of my starter prayer cards and statues came from there. Like absinthe very cogently says, it's very much okay to start with a prayer card and work forward. Something will come up somewhere after you've put in some time. Vintage prayer cards are a great option also. There is an eBay seller from Portugal who has really nice ones.

I have no problem saying which one. St moses the black. I havent found any of him yet, although I'm sure some exist and are hopefully for sale.

(12-21-2016 02:51 AM)Santamuerte Wrote:  
(12-21-2016 01:53 AM)Nightwolf Wrote:  There must be a shop or a religious shop you can look up in your area to find what you're looking for
I've tried but the only thing I could find is a gift shop run by some carmelite nuns, that has really inconvenient business hours that don't go well with my gift shop. Plus I don't really want to make the time to go there if I'm not even sure they have any.

Plus I'm looking for a very specific saint to get an icon of that they probably won't have.

I just now realize that I said gift shop instead of schedule.

*facepalm*

✝ In nomine patris et filii et spiritus sancti ☦
12-22-2016, 03:54 AM
A quick Google search found me this icon:

http://orthodoxchristiansupply.com/produ...x-icon-001

Awake becomes
what once was known,
forgetfulness is fleeting.
12-22-2016, 05:22 AM (This post was last modified: 12-23-2016 08:01 AM by JintheNinja.)
Oh Moses the Ethiopian! He and I are old pals. Hahah yes, I have him as icon. And as Hagen gives the link so too he is found. He's not that rare. He's common in Trinidad as a work Saint, and I can even buy him as a novena candle in the city (only one place but still). You can also go into an Ethiopian grocery or Rastafarian store, they often have his icon in Ethiopian style. we have a large Ethiopian and Jamaican diaspora so that's not so uncommon, you just have to know where to look. most of the stores don't have links or online reviews.

@farnham likewise, I had dreams of Lara croft/Indiana jones as a kid, but I took one class on intro and another on biblical archaeology, and realized it was NOTHING like the movies the really interesting, magical, occult studies take place in comparitive religion, history, and area studies. Material based approaches to history are also widely criticized for their lack of indigenous engagement and history of artifact theft by colonial powers. My aboriginal studies profs were very offended (and rightly so) by many aspects of it,
12-22-2016, 05:47 AM
I think an The Artis Magistra icon might be pretty darn cool, how would you guys design it or draw it?
12-22-2016, 07:07 AM
TAM... You got mail. Er pm. YOUR ICON AWAITS.

Sorry guys... Couldnt post it. Pm if you want a copy.

[Image: bear%203.png]
12-22-2016, 07:46 AM (This post was last modified: 12-22-2016 07:49 AM by The Artis Magistra.)
Haha, its really good. I really liked it, and I'll be thinking about it too, it touched me. Not even being sarcastic!

Actually, that would be really cool as a "Saint style Icon" as well. Upside down, tentacles, its actually a very apt representation.

Hey, maybe Elysium Mons can make a version of it, appropriate for the website so censored or whatever, that I can use as my display picture or something, but in doing so I'd recommend they let their imagination go free as much as possible and not necessarily stick to what is depicted very precisely.
12-22-2016, 11:40 PM
(12-22-2016 05:22 AM)JintheNinja Wrote:  Oh Moses the Ethiopian! He and I are old pals. Hahah yes, I have him as icon. And as Hagen gives the link so too he is found. He's not that rare. He's common in Trinidad as a work Saint, and I can even buy him as a novena candle in the city (only one place but still). You can also go into an Ethiopian grocery or Rastafarian store, they often have his icon in Ethiopian style. we have a large Ethiopian and Jamaican diaspora so that's not so uncommon, you just have to know where to look. most of the stores don't have links or online reviews.

Where do you live? I'm not trying to intrude, just a bit interested about where to find things related to my patron saint.

✝ In nomine patris et filii et spiritus sancti ☦

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  encountered religious creature jadedagony 2 231 03-13-2017 07:21 PM
Last Post: FarhnamDrunk
  The Phenomenon of New Religious Movements Feywer96 18 990 12-16-2016 06:12 AM
Last Post: The Artis Magistra
  magician and religious at the same time barach713 7 709 05-17-2016 12:07 AM
Last Post: barach713
  Religious Figures and the HGA altesatmar 2 520 05-20-2015 02:53 AM
Last Post: altesatmar
  What is the religious purpose of life? C4Vendetta 13 1,715 08-25-2012 09:01 PM
Last Post: dawayesmeeth