Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
candle question.
01-12-2017, 11:16 PM
Wow. Now that is news. A remedy right beside it.

I could research my own question. Im watching a new show and in it i see these long thin candles. Theyre thicker than birthday candles about the width of a pencil maybe or even a slightly fatter pen. They are pretty long to. They look like theyre used for shrines and fit in small holes. Not sure the make...

[Image: bear%203.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2017, 11:18 PM
Those sound like Thai temple candles. I buy them at the Chinese grocery near me. They're great for offerings, though they only come in red, yellow, and white.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-13-2017, 12:06 AM
Yes, they def could be Buddhist offertory candles. Also the Japanese make their own sort made from a relative of poison sumac using the berries (like a bayberry candle), which usually are the colour of beeswax, although can also be red. They use them for home shrines and ancestor veneration. In Mahayana Buddhism, there is s deep prohibition against using animal parts, so candles have to be 100% vegan, and were produced from all sorts of plants (candlenut bark, aforementioned laquer tree) but also beetles (which are semi Buddhist in that they are used in TCM and kampo medicine). Many orthodox and Catholic monasteries still produce small pencil width beeswax tapers according to medieval method. The Orthodox Church requires 100% beeswax, the Catholic Church 51% for all liturgical candles. Obviously the availability of paraffin has changed the dynamic of traditional candle making. The orthodox dipped beeswax candles fit your description, when you go into an orthodox church there are long tables with a depressed top that hold sand, the candles are placed right in the sand in from of the saint. A similar concept with Buddhist and daoist temples. Chinese prefer red or white, red is for esoteric purposes, white is for offeratory purposes.and in Japan this pretty much the same, you ll see red in shingon Buddhist shrines, and white/natural in zen shrines. Same for Daoism. Red is a yang colour, white is a yin colour, red empowers prayers and mantras, white asks for heavenly intercession. The Thai Buddhists also have yantra candles with parchment charms wrapped around them to invoke Lersi saints and do spells. I've never seen them outside Singapore/Thailand. The one thing about Chinese made Buddhist candles is that they are now mineral wax, although the Taiwanese Buddhist temples use beeswax so if you have one in your area inquire if they have a gift shop (many do). You won't have to worry about lead or additives since the core is supposed to be parchment paper.
01-13-2017, 03:54 AM
Thanks a million. I was leaning that way since it was a Russian monk. Being huge Saint Michael fans it seemed likely a religious candle.

[Image: bear%203.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  White Candle for Peace/Blessings/Health and Love. InitiateofArts 0 35 08-20-2017 09:30 AM
Last Post: InitiateofArts
  I have a question... MotherHen 67 1,181 08-13-2017 10:26 AM
Last Post: MotherHen
  Tiny question about the LBRP Omani 5 137 07-28-2017 05:40 AM
Last Post: Omani
  question about offerings wildguitars 6 158 07-23-2017 01:10 AM
Last Post: OldSaint
  Question for all you magicians wizards witches and such Rashnu 27 686 07-22-2017 08:29 AM
Last Post: Magickinqu