• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Official] WF Book Sharing Manifesto: Authors/Publishers, please read

An official request, or post by staff acting with authority.
Reaction score
Awards
Im planning to utilize the Quareia donation for Josephines book, for starters. Ive already bought Anna Rivas Candle Burning Magic. I was given Christophers book Kaballah, Magic and the Great Work of Self Transformation, as well as a copy of the Golden Dawn 7th ed by a neighbor. More to come as I get paid.

Reaction score
Awards
Interesting, never expected something like this to happen. If I was an occult author I wouldn't bother though, because:
1. I know that torrents exist and you will never beat the file sharing community EVER, it's an exercise in futility. Someone will always have a copy and they will always share it, and then the people who get it will make copies and share it, and on and on it goes.

2. If I genuinely had magic abilities, I'd be writing those books for the sake of sharing knowledge, and the profit I make from sales would merely be an auxiliary benefit, because I could use said magic abilities to very easily make more money in other ways.

Reactions like this from authors only makes me think that they are selling books about regurgitated knowledge they've read, rather than things they actually know from personal experience that they've actually done themselves. That's exactly why they have to be so protective of the "product" because it's basic and easily replicated, and once you see that for yourself you may not buy it.

To me personally a digital version of (any) book feels worthless, unless it's something that has been out of print for 100 years or so (like the stuff on archive.org)
The funny thing is, these modern day occult authors are likely just regurgitating info that can be found in these very books on archive.org

Djnenas

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Earlier this year, I received WF's first DMCA takedown notice (I only noticed it today) on a copyrighted material shared in Book Shares . To be completely frank, I wasn't expecting attention this early in WF's new timeline. About a months into the new WF's book shares section launching, I saw (do not ask me how) that Steve Savedow browsed WF. He didn't contact me regarding any of his books shared here, and honestly, we only have 2000 members, of which probably only 50-100 are really active... so I was shocked to see that a publisher thought it fitting to send me a DMCA. I am going to share the content of the notice below, and address the points I'd like to counter, as well as some other points.

I think it is time for a manifesto.

Here's the notice from Peter Grey of Scarlett Imprint in it's entirety:

Code:
Please, Log in or Register to view codes content!

Here's what I'd like to say:

WF Admin's Statement:
  1. I completely hear and understand the wishes of authors and publishers to protect their livelihood. I am a creative by trade, and I understand the amount of work that goes into researching, writing, illustrating and publishing a book. Whatever ends up happening, I will not hold it against any author/illustrator/publisher.
  2. WF does not host any copyrighted files on our servers. Legally speaking, some rando out there is purchasing, converting, and sharing these files on MEGA, and sending the links to me printed on 8.5” x 11” card stock via anonymous, untracable postage. I simply share the links I receive. You may contact MEGA to have these links taken down.
  3. WF is hosted in a jurisdiction that most likely will disregard your DMCA.
  4. WF's admin is located in a jurisdiction that will most likely ignore any legal contact.
  5. I have always wanted to find ways to support Occult and Esoteric authors and publishers in a way that does not conflict with the manifesto below. I am open to ideas from members/authors/publishers on how I can help support them in other ways than simply not sharing these weird links to PDFs that some alien is sending me.
Book Sharing Manifesto:
  1. As the name of this subject betrays, occult knowledge is by nature obscured, censored, and difficult to find. While that sanctions all due respect and praise to occult authors, illustrators, publishers, and anyone else who dedicates time, money, and hard work towards creating and distributing occult knowledge, it also validates our crusade to make all of this content even more accessible and available. I am sorry, but I just feel too strongly that it is our duty to propogate this material as widely as possible.
  2. If you can afford to pay for the books you have obtained, read, and enjoyed from WF, then you must purchase them (at least the digital versions). It is your absolute duty to do so.
  3. Authors/publishers: please understand — 99% of the people who download free PDFs of your books would never have purchased them. For many, it is simply too difficult to match their desire to learn and absorb this knowledge with their ability to finance it. Does that really mean they do not deserve to lay their eyes upon the content of your books? Do you truly believe that? Do you want to extinguish that flame? Please have mercy.
  4. If anything, many of those who would not have otherwise purchased a single book, may download 100, and fall in love with one, which then they would purchase. I truly cannot believe the premise that sharing PDFs online significantly impacts your bottom line as publishers/authors.
  5. I will try to be more diligent about providing links to purchase the books that are linked here. I may even institute a rule that compels anyone sharing MEGA links to PDFs to find and share the link to the digital download of said book.
  6. When/if WF ever becomes profitable, I swear on my name, I will make suitable donations to authors/publishers who are featured here, and/or who make exceptional occult publications. I recognize that this is unlikely to directly compensate for the volume of downloaded PDFs if tallied, but I hope it will mean something, especially in light of points 3 and 4 of the manifesto.
  7. Going forward, I will never paywall/time-lock any downloads of book PDFs to upgraded user accounts (with the exception of large collections/archives such as the WF grand library, which I don't expect to gain any copyright attention anyway).
Please... members... authors... publishers... anyone... share your thoughts with me. Am I completely in the wrong? Is there no wiggle room in the morality of sharing this knowledge? I am open to feedback, and open to having my mind changed, but please do so respectfully and logically. I do not want to make this about legality. Frankly – and judge me all you want for this – I do not give a single fuck about the legality of any of these issues, and even if I did, as I mentioned above in the Admin Statement, there are no copyrighted content hosted on WF's servers. We are merely sharing content that has been hosted by others and shared on the internet. This is more about morality, philosophy, and understanding each other. Please help me understand your viewpoints.
Honestly, they should be paying YOU a stipend as affiliate for marketing (in a way) their book content on your website!!! Allow me to explain: I am a Witch and a mom of two with a very limited budget. Reading is a passion to me and with all the variety out there nowadays, sometimes it becomes overwhelming to seep through the garbage to find the true gems. Part of this tedious process is downloading PDF's that are freely offered online. For instance, some books by Stephen Skinner or David Rankine could run you upwards of $50 dollars... even if USED... that is a bit much for somebody in a tight budget like myself... I gotta know what i'm getting before i start saving money to dish out on just one book. Here is where those free PDF's come into play. I do not like reading on a screen. I am oldfashioned when it comes to reading, i like having my books on my hand already printed. As a magician also, it is preferable. I know i'm not the only one. There's other people out there that feel the same way. So, not everybody that download free PDF's is looking for a freebie in order to avoid having to purchase the book. On the contrary. So, i believe you should be getting some comission for generating clients.... paying clients for their books. Do not believe for a second that you are negatively interfering with anybody's livelihood. Books get purchased regardless whether they are available for free online or not. Remember that today most purchases have 30 days free return windows and whomsoever doesn't want to keep the book could purchase it, read it then return it and get their money back. Simple as that. A well written book with valuable information is a treasure everyone wants to keep. Nowadays everybody and anybody can write and publish a book no matter how much it sucks!! We as paying clients deserve to have the absolute best for what we pay. Also, there is nothing wrong with acknowledging the universality of this information, it is human beings birth right to have free access to it, but let's not forget that there's still some that believe it should remain occult and hidden from public sight... I hope my view serves it's purpose and shows you another perspective on how else to support authors even if albeit such controversial way.

Bo Hanson

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Of course, the digital book should stay here. With this, it shows us, members of WZ, that if the book is good enough for the reader, then we, the members of Wizard Forum will buy the book, right? The author of the book (Peter Gray) should thank you and should make a donation to WZ for marketing (in a way) their book. I totally agree with Djnenas thoughts.

People, don't forget: OCCULT KNOWKEDGE SHOULD BE FREE IN THESE DAYS OF WORLD GLOBALIZATION!

Atlantis

Visitor
Reaction score
Of all occult authors, as I remember, only a few are encouraging the free sharing of their own material. But most of them are not happy with it. That's the fact. Read carefully: most authors are NOT happy with it! Some of them are just saying it and complain, others are angry and some authors are ready to sue the wrongdoer. It's same with the publishers, but the bigger ones seem not to have time for smaller crimes. Again, few publishers are quite strict and they WILL use their power to hunt who is sharing their books and he/she will pay the price no matter how small crime it is. That being said, I can't see this as white and black answer all the time, there are "gray" portions, for ex. with out-of-print books or when prices are clear rip-offs and SIM...As for me everyday I get into temptation to download that Helios book here from WF, but I struggle and I divert my interests to beautiful legal books that seems I have to study them more (physical or digital, both are okay for me). Hope this contributes to someone here. Thanks.

Celestia

Visitor
Reaction score
I myself have put a lot of money and time into trying to get certain books. I've traveled for them. Spent a lot of money on one book to see what's in it, only to be disappointed, or sometimes surprised. And reselling that book is not an easy task; it might sit for years before selling, and you might never sell it again. Or you'll get lucky and sell it for even more. I appreciate the comments made here by everyone. Yeah, a lot of occult books are just a bunch of garbage, really. Others are some of the greatest stuff ever written. It truly is harder to find the good stuff, and people, myself included, are often looking in the wrong places, IMO.

I really appreciate what SkullTraill has said about the ideology when it comes to books and knowledge. Some people take the approach that occult knowledge should only be for certain people and that it should be hidden away. But who's job is it to decide who is worthy or not? In what I've experienced, it's often a game of ego that involves a lot of shenanigans, and no real meaning that just does a lot of harm to everyone involved. I 100% agree with SkullTraill, and take the same position: I hope to spread the knowledge to others as best I can. When I find a rare book that is meant to be read, and the author is dead, and it is needed for humanity's self-discovery, I make an effort to get it to them. Those who are not really interested in genuine study won't read them anyway and put in the effort. IMHO, we don't need to put up a gate, their attention span and effort will act as the gate. Those who are truly interested will take the time to delve into texts and put in the time. Those who aren't really interested, will get bored and not take the time. I honestly think the last thing we need is to hide away this knowledge that was hidden from humanity for so long, and so I very much revere the stance taken here by Skull. I always felt that way about this.

When it comes to physical vs. non-physical books, I feel that physical books are great, and preferred even, but they have downsides. They wear out over time. And you cannot search them with a CTRL-F or "find" function. An eBook is a bit more eternal, assuming you store it well. And really, how well you can read an eBook is determined by how nice of a device you have. Reading on a phone or laptop kind of sucks when it's all you have, but reading on a large 12" tablet, or a premium e-Paper device, or even a kindle (with built in dictionary/encyclopedia) can be an absolute joy. I don't have much at the moment but I've had some of those in the past. Books with large pages/pictures are great on a 12" tablet, but you have to make the investment, to finally view your large eBook library. Otherwise that knowledge sits and never gets consumed. I will have to make the investment at some point because I have a large eBook library, but they're useless sitting on a hard drive. If a nice device helps me to get the knowledge from a file into my head, then IMO it was worth the investment.

I don't think WizardForums needs to be terribly, terribly worried about authors. There's sites out there who's main goal is hosting files and only hosting files, and even they aren't necessarily the biggest target. I would think you could address situations when asked, but this is primarily a forum. You'll probably get an angry author every once in awhile, but probably not that often. And I have to pose a question relevant to authors: if you are only going to print 200 books, or you are going to stop printing your book and make it unavailable, how do you expect it to be read? I find this one of the most frustrating situations, when a book can no longer be found or purchased, other than a few used copies floating around for $200-$800. These are the books I will try to buy and then digitize. And then perhaps share with others. Because why not? You, the author, are not selling it anymore anyway. In the case that it was available for $20-$50, or whatever the regular pricing, then I can absolutely understand. But I absolutely see the merit in sharing books that are soon to become "lost". And they do become lost. Once all the copies are gone, and the author's dead, and no one digitized it, That's it. A shame in my mind, if it was a book of meaning and value to humanity.

I feel very good when I spend $200+ and turn a rare book into an eBook, and then spread it across the internet tubes for many people to read. It wasn't meant to sit on a shelf and collect dust, or belong only to one wealthy collector, in my mind. It was meant to be consumed, and deposited in the brain (and maybe deeper, the soul?). A book is useless, sitting on a shelf, with its pages unturned. And all the prices of rare books are truly inflated anyway, in my experience. I've paid the big price before to see what's in something, only to find out it's just a bunch of junk. But sometimes you do luck out. The catch is that you'll never know until you spend the money and see what's inside.

I know this is only my opinion and it's not everyone's, but the time for occult knowledge to be truly hidden is over now, in the days of the internet. Now people can casually discuss it across the world in their own homes. You can walk into a Barnes and Noble and buy a paperback copy of The Secret Teachings (which I have done ;)). There's still a hidden aspect to it, but the only thing "keeping people out" is when they or the universe (however you see it) decide to go looking for it. Honestly, I feel that's how it should be. But of course, everyone's view differs.

I greatly appreciate a community like this that is friendly towards those seeking it. When I get a chance, I'll happily share some of the stuff that I have.