• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

A book of four Celtic mages

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I have to say I am not familiar with this, but I am interested where books are concerned. Are there any more details you'd be able to provide me so that I may find the book for WF's Library?

Reaction score
Awards
I have to say I am not familiar with this, but I am interested where books are concerned. Are there any more details you'd be able to provide me so that I may find the book for WF's Library?
Where I read other than google searches, which mostly popup Wicvca or feminist related material on Celtic mythology and lore; the site is:
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Supposedly there were four mages who were early in the foundation of the Celts, and my guess is elemental magic. Makes sense, four elements.
But that is my guess.

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Where I read other than google searches, which mostly popup Wicvca or feminist related material on Celtic mythology and lore; the site is:
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Supposedly there were four mages who were early in the foundation of the Celts, and my guess is elemental magic. Makes sense, four elements.
But that is my guess.
Interesting, thank you. I'll look into it.

Reaction score
Awards
That is the book. Apparently, the Tuatha De D. studied all kinds of magic, and four mages each consecrated an item to bring for the battle before the birth of the Gods/Goddesses would fight in it. This is interesting.

Reaction score
Awards
But an excerpt:
"

THIS TALE BELOW IS THE BATTLE OF MAG TUIRED AND THE BIRTH OF BRES SON OF ELATHA AND HIS REIGN​

1. The Tuatha De Danann were in the northern islands of the world, studying occult lore and sorcery, druidic arts and witchcraft and magical skill, until they surpassed the sages of the pagan arts.

2. They studied occult lore and secret knowledge and diabolic arts in four cities: Falias, Gorias, Murias, and Findias.

3. From Falias was brought the Stone of Fal which was located in Tara. It used to cry out beneath every king that would take Ireland.

4. From Gorias was brought the spear which Lug had. No battle was ever sustained against it, or against the man who held it in his hand.

5. From Findias was brought the sword of Nuadu. No one ever escaped from it once it was drawn from its deadly sheath, and no one could resist it.

6. From Murias was brought the Dagda's cauldron. No company ever went away from it unsatisfied.

7. There were four wizards in those four cities. Morfesa was in Falias; Esras was in Gorias; Uiscias was in Findias; Semias was in Murias. Those are the four poets from whom the Tuatha De learned occult lore and secret knowledge.

8. The Tuatha De then made an alliance with the Fomoire, and Balor the grandson of Net gave his daughter Ethne to Cian the son of Dian Cecht. And she bore the glorious child, Lug.

9. The Tuatha De came with a great fleet to Ireland to take it by force from the Fir Bolg. Upon reaching the territory of Corcu Belgatan (which is Conmaicne Mara today), they at once burned their boats so that they would not think of fleeing to them. The smoke and the mist which came from the ships filled the land and the air which was near them. For that reason it has been thought that they arrived in clouds of mist.

10. The battle of Mag Tuired was fought between them and the Fir Bolg. The Fir Bolg were defeated, and 100,000 of them were killed including the king, Eochaid mac Eire."

Reaction score
Awards
Okay ... I guess Ive answered my own question. However, these stories are interesting for a couple reasons.
According to our worldy logic, gods are born before man. It seems this is still the case, as the Tuatha De Danaan (Dana-Aine?) were skilled in all varieties of magic and associated arts, and from four cities weapons were brought that man worshipped, and gave birth to the Celtic gods and goddesses as we know.
There is also the possibility that the Fae were in those four cities, or at least were studied in those four cities. Yeats "Twilight of the
Celts" is all about his encountering the Fae or Fairy Folk.

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
But an excerpt:
"

THIS TALE BELOW IS THE BATTLE OF MAG TUIRED AND THE BIRTH OF BRES SON OF ELATHA AND HIS REIGN​

1. The Tuatha De Danann were in the northern islands of the world, studying occult lore and sorcery, druidic arts and witchcraft and magical skill, until they surpassed the sages of the pagan arts.

2. They studied occult lore and secret knowledge and diabolic arts in four cities: Falias, Gorias, Murias, and Findias.

3. From Falias was brought the Stone of Fal which was located in Tara. It used to cry out beneath every king that would take Ireland.

4. From Gorias was brought the spear which Lug had. No battle was ever sustained against it, or against the man who held it in his hand.

5. From Findias was brought the sword of Nuadu. No one ever escaped from it once it was drawn from its deadly sheath, and no one could resist it.

6. From Murias was brought the Dagda's cauldron. No company ever went away from it unsatisfied.

7. There were four wizards in those four cities. Morfesa was in Falias; Esras was in Gorias; Uiscias was in Findias; Semias was in Murias. Those are the four poets from whom the Tuatha De learned occult lore and secret knowledge.

8. The Tuatha De then made an alliance with the Fomoire, and Balor the grandson of Net gave his daughter Ethne to Cian the son of Dian Cecht. And she bore the glorious child, Lug.

9. The Tuatha De came with a great fleet to Ireland to take it by force from the Fir Bolg. Upon reaching the territory of Corcu Belgatan (which is Conmaicne Mara today), they at once burned their boats so that they would not think of fleeing to them. The smoke and the mist which came from the ships filled the land and the air which was near them. For that reason it has been thought that they arrived in clouds of mist.

10. The battle of Mag Tuired was fought between them and the Fir Bolg. The Fir Bolg were defeated, and 100,000 of them were killed including the king, Eochaid mac Eire."
Yep, sounds familiar to how stuff plays out in the Book of Invasions. But the "mist" in some versions is simply a mist conjured on the water as they arrived. In others, they also ask the island itself for cooperation as they arrive.