• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Accomplishing astral projection

Parallax

Neophyte
Reaction score
So I was doing a technique I found in a book of astral projection meditations.
Where you visualize a white orb above you attached to by a golden thread to your crown. Meditating on entering into it.
I calmed my body and my mind and when meditating on it, I saw myself fully enter the orb but I didn’t project, rather I felt a ripple from my shoulder into the rest of my body. And my calm mind seem to reset with thoughts flooding to me.

what does this mean you think? I’m going to continue this type of meditation but I am curious if it’s a matter of keeping up the practice or if I am stuck.

Reaction score
Awards
I think it is first stirrings. Eventually you should get to a point where your body "rocks", and you go into a visionary state. Thats as far as Ive gotten before twice. Lucid dreaming is supposed to help as well.

In short, I think you're doing it correctly, it just needs time and practice.

Ancient

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
I didn’t project, rather I felt a ripple from my shoulder into the rest of my body. And my calm mind seem to reset with thoughts flooding to me.

Sounds like you woke yourself up fully again with the excitement of that “ripple”. As diluculo mentioned, and I’m sure you’re aware, physical sensations such as rocking, vibrating, spinning, rolling, snapping, etc., are all signs that you are nearing the exit stage. The trick is to treat this like one of those pesky thoughts that pops into your mind while meditating and ignore it. As soon as you focus on it or get excited you bring your attention back to the physical world, which is not conducive to successful projections.

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
I have read many books in the last year about AP/OoBE techniques, but the only thing clear to me now is that everyone who writes a book has a different experience. I was trying different things from books for a while, but I gave it up, figuring that I must not be ready yet. Meanwhile, I keep a dream diary in which I have recorded something nearly every day. I may not always remember complete dreams, but my dream recall is much better than it used to be. More importantly, I know the mental state of my dreams. How can I put this...

In our waking hours, we go through many states of consciousness. We're not simply "awake" but we can be daydreaming, remembering, intently focusing on a physical thing, meditating, etc. Regardless, we're so familiar with these states of consciousness that we don't mistake them for anything but our waking reality even though our minds are often changing focus on a whim.

Dreams can also vary a lot in content and even in degrees of lucidity, but when you return to waking consciousness you know that they were just dreams. At least, you should be able to recall enough to know if the memory of the dream felt like your typical dream state of consciousness. That's why one should write down the dreams: you'll know when you experience an altered state of consciousness that was neither "dream" nor "awake."

I have experienced sleep paralysis in the past. It happened fairly often when I was working long hours on night shifts back in the day. I would be semi-conscious and immobile in the dark with an inexplicable loud noise inside my head. I felt as if I needed to move some part of my body to regain control, but this didn't always work. My fear gradually lessened, and eventually I learned that it was not dangerous. Back then I didn't know this was a means to having OoBE.

Then last month I had sleep paralysis again, not due to any sleep deprivation though. Only this time there was no loud internal low frequency noise. Unlike a dream, I knew exactly where I was in bed, but I couldn't move my body. I did, however, will myself to move. Frankly, it was the weirdest thing I've ever felt. I did move into a sitting position, but I felt stuck in that same altered state of consciousness that I felt at the beginning of the paralysis. My vision was distorted and blurry in my mostly dark room. I could hear my breath, but the sound was like listening through a tube. I stood up, but I had no real sense of balance. I touched my face and felt my clothes as if to assure myself it was real. I moved to the light switch, and I thought I turned it on, but nothing happened. I turned around to look up at the ceiling fan, but the room was dark and blurry. It was right then that it occurred to me I was still in bed. It was a moment later I "woke up." I never have dreams like that. As best as I can figure, it was an etheric projection (finally) that I was able to recall. My etheric senses aren't very good, but maybe that improves in time.

The point I'm making is, become familiar with your mind's various states of consciousness by meditation and dream recall, and keep a diary of your work. If you don't experience AP right away, don't worry too much. It may happen when you least expect it.

Jiggywiggy

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
I have read many books in the last year about AP/OoBE techniques, but the only thing clear to me now is that everyone who writes a book has a different experience. I was trying different things from books for a while, but I gave it up, figuring that I must not be ready yet. Meanwhile, I keep a dream diary in which I have recorded something nearly every day. I may not always remember complete dreams, but my dream recall is much better than it used to be. More importantly, I know the mental state of my dreams. How can I put this...

In our waking hours, we go through many states of consciousness. We're not simply "awake" but we can be daydreaming, remembering, intently focusing on a physical thing, meditating, etc. Regardless, we're so familiar with these states of consciousness that we don't mistake them for anything but our waking reality even though our minds are often changing focus on a whim.

Dreams can also vary a lot in content and even in degrees of lucidity, but when you return to waking consciousness you know that they were just dreams. At least, you should be able to recall enough to know if the memory of the dream felt like your typical dream state of consciousness. That's why one should write down the dreams: you'll know when you experience an altered state of consciousness that was neither "dream" nor "awake."

I have experienced sleep paralysis in the past. It happened fairly often when I was working long hours on night shifts back in the day. I would be semi-conscious and immobile in the dark with an inexplicable loud noise inside my head. I felt as if I needed to move some part of my body to regain control, but this didn't always work. My fear gradually lessened, and eventually I learned that it was not dangerous. Back then I didn't know this was a means to having OoBE.

Then last month I had sleep paralysis again, not due to any sleep deprivation though. Only this time there was no loud internal low frequency noise. Unlike a dream, I knew exactly where I was in bed, but I couldn't move my body. I did, however, will myself to move. Frankly, it was the weirdest thing I've ever felt. I did move into a sitting position, but I felt stuck in that same altered state of consciousness that I felt at the beginning of the paralysis. My vision was distorted and blurry in my mostly dark room. I could hear my breath, but the sound was like listening through a tube. I stood up, but I had no real sense of balance. I touched my face and felt my clothes as if to assure myself it was real. I moved to the light switch, and I thought I turned it on, but nothing happened. I turned around to look up at the ceiling fan, but the room was dark and blurry. It was right then that it occurred to me I was still in bed. It was a moment later I "woke up." I never have dreams like that. As best as I can figure, it was an etheric projection (finally) that I was able to recall. My etheric senses aren't very good, but maybe that improves in time.

The point I'm making is, become familiar with your mind's various states of consciousness by meditation and dream recall, and keep a diary of your work. If you don't experience AP right away, don't worry too much. It may happen when you least expect it.
I know exactly the feeling your talking about. Im very jelous, I almost get to this point and wake up. Last night when I woke up from my attempt the room was blurry but I saw some cool visuals on my ceiling. I think it was a lion face smiling back at me (the visuals I saw). Congrats.

Also I concur with Ancient. It takes practice and ignoring your thoughts/reactions. I remember starting out only getting to 5 minutes then 10 and so on. It gets easier imo.

Parallax

Neophyte
Reaction score
Well I have successfully
Sounds like you woke yourself up fully again with the excitement of that “ripple”. As diluculo mentioned, and I’m sure you’re aware, physical sensations such as rocking, vibrating, spinning, rolling, snapping, etc., are all signs that you are nearing the exit stage. The trick is to treat this like one of those pesky thoughts that pops into your mind while meditating and ignore it. As soon as you focus on it or get excited you bring your attention back to the physical world, which is not conducive to successful projections.
induced these sensual experiences, I’ve tried doing it in the complete dark. I think my body is too alert to it now and is reacting too much. I’ll probably just have to keep doing it until I’m use to it and stop being tight in anticipation.

Reaction score
Awards
I look forward to it...that is, in learning to astral project.
My first time I was in a tunnel or hallway of stone, and a large half oval door ahead with some hooded figure seated in front of it.
I chickened out and came to.

Bo Hanson

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
I think it is first stirrings. Eventually you should get to a point where your body "rocks", and you go into a visionary state. Thats as far as Ive gotten before twice. Lucid dreaming is supposed to help as well.

In short, I think you're doing it correctly, it just needs time and practice.
Actually, you should get to a point where you will feel the vibration, buzzing sounds or something else in your body. This is the time when you are ready to leave the body but many will stuck here. How long did you come?

Reaction score
Awards
One was involuntary during Wicca days and working the cone of power from Drawing Down the Moon.
The second was semi voluntary, iow, I was invited. I went down a labyrinth medieval hallway and at the end was a hooded figure standing before a door with his back to me and I chickened out and woke up.