• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Book Club Book of the Month Club starts now!

A communal reading and discussion exercise for a particular book/series.

WantlerWandlerX

Neophyte
Reaction score
I consider myself somewhat of a PDF lover so I have a lot of texts. I have some copyrighted material (I won't post those) but IMO if the author is deceased then they don't care about purchases; so I had the idea of starting a book of the month club. I'll cloud drop one manual per month, nothing too lengthy. Nothing too concise either like spellbooks or I'll post multiple spellbooks. I won't advertise anything demonic either unless it's something like a history book about vampirism (which I plan to). About the copyrighed stuff, most of these texts are from the early 1900s on. Just let me know if I make an oopsie and I'll switch the materiel.

The first book WILL be the Abramelin which is about divine magic. I just started it and will be reading along. There's three parts, but I'll post one at a time so there's no extra pressure. And sure you can speed along by finding the same texts online but chill, book clubs are about discussion, hearth spirit, coffee, bring your own coffee. Any insights and questions/answers are, of coarse, welcome.

Happy Holidays!

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I swear you were talking to me about starting a book club but I couldn't find the PM... Was that all in my head?

Even found a PM from @The God-King about a book club/discussion type thing on discord, though I felt that wouldn't garner enough actively interested participants at that time.

@WantlerWandlerX couple of things. As mentioned above, a few people have already expressed interest in doing a book club type thing. There's 2 ways to approach this, either anyone can start their own book club with their own slightly different vision for it, or you can all collaborate and try to make something cohesive and all-inclusive.

I know you were the first to post about the book club publicly, but @Incognitus has already posted 2 "Book Reports".

Also, if you have seen [Official] - New Forum Layout Discussion Thread you'll know that "Book Club" is a planned/upcoming section of the forums, where anyone will be able to open a thread and discuss any book they like. That'll likely be the format going forward, as opposed to a singular thread run by one person who dictates what books people should be reading.

Regarding copyrighted material and newer books, WF is not concerned about anything not hosted directly on WF. If you want to post a MEGA link to some PDFs, which has already been done on this forum, I certainly won't stop you. My server/hosting provider is only really concerned with the content that is hosted on their servers. It's not like we're a full blown warez site. If you wanna share or discuss a book occassionally, host it on MEGA and share it. If it becomes a problem, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Keen to hear everyone's thoughts.

Incognitus

Lead Transcriber
Reaction score
Awards
My thought was to have a a group of people actively reading through the same book and discussing. Not really like the report threads, because that's all 1 sided with little discussion. Something where there's a forum thread and perhaps a discord discussion once (twice?) a month, with a transcript posted to the forum for people who couldn't be there.

I'm just not sure if there are any people interested in dedicating some time per month like that. Abramelin isn't a terrible thing to start with, and I would hope to include books from many different paths, to give different perspectives even if you aren't reading a book for your specific practice. I was thinking we could come up with a list of 3 or 5 books and vote on which to read, so it's not just being decided by whoever is running the book club.

I'd love to hear if people are interested. I don't want to discourage @WantlerWandlerX at all. I'm certainly behind on my book threads due to the holidays and log4j BS. I hope to start my regular posts again tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

WantlerWandlerX

Neophyte
Reaction score
@SkullTraill I butted my head on that a little swiftly, I should have explored more get a hold of what's going on. Funny enough I posted this, then found the official book thread. I laugh at myself finding out there was already something like that, and even better conceptually.

I like the idea of different texts being voted on. I mentioned a history book about vampirism which is the Diary of Gamaliel, but I want to hear other people give titles and not have book recommendations by just me. I'll see what others think of before I even vote. If not enough people are down with reading one book at the same time, the book discussion thread is amazing.

Using discord would make things more like a conversation, in the moment.

@Incognitus no discouragement at all I do see where slowing the role is a good phrase

Incognitus

Lead Transcriber
Reaction score
Awards
@SkullTraill I butted my head on that a little swiftly, I should have explored more get a hold of what's going on. Funny enough I posted this, then found the official book thread. I laugh at myself finding out there was already something like that, and even better conceptually.

I like the idea of different texts being voted on. I mentioned a history book about vampirism which is the Diary of Gamaliel, but I want to hear other people give titles and not have book recommendations by just me. I'll see what others think of before I even vote. If not enough people are down with reading one book at the same time, the book discussion thread is amazing.

Using discord would make things more like a conversation, in the moment.

@Incognitus no discouragement at all I do see where slowing the role is a good phrase
Maybe we can coordinate and work on it together? I'm looking to get started early to mid-January (after New Years and the work madness that goes along with it), if you're interested.

Reaction score
Awards
My books are The Art and Practice of Geomancy by Greer, and The Alchemists Handbook by Frater Albertus. I am also on the side reading Israel Regardie and the Philosophers Stone by Lisiewski. These are Zelator assigned reading. A few more that are not in the library atm, may have to order them. Nothing Special: Living Zen is one.
On the side, Im taking on Three Books of Occult Philosophy. If Im going to recommend a book, I should give it a good read again. Fantastic book.