• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Coping With ADHD as an Adult

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
From very early in childhood, I was diagnosed with a couple different behavioral disorders. I was quite the problem child for just about any teacher or caretaker I was thrown at. Over time, though, most of the problems/symptoms I had early in life have either improved with age, or disappeared entirely. While this is expected of childhood mental disorders, since people tend to mature and learn to cope somewhat in life, there still are struggles adults with such conditions face. And sometimes it seems that the further I venture into adult life, the more apparent it is which disorder has lingered the most: my ADHD.

After graduating high school, I made a decision to stop taking the Adderall I was prescribed. I did this because I had noticed for years, how taking it affected me emotionally. Sure, I was productive as all hell with the ability to focus like a normal person. But at the same time, I felt completely dead inside, and it was a feeling I hated. My doctor said it was safe to see for myself whether I really needed ADHD meds anymore, outside the constantly focus-demanding environment that was high school. And though I still had one HELL of a time figuring out how to live without that help, especially while still having to navigate college and dealing with all the demands of life, I can't say I've really regretted that decision. I've learned to adjust, so that I'm at least functional for the most part. I may lock my keys in the car several times a year, or have an ungodly amount of clutter, or completely space out when people tell me stuff sometimes. Even certain aspects of occult practice such as meditation can be difficult, if I'm particularly unable to focus that day.

But for the most part, I'm able to at least survive like a "normal" person. And I make constant efforts to improve and expand what strategies I use, to deal with all the frustrating shit that still affects me. Whether it's caffeine, writing literally everything down, cleaning your room one tiny section at a time, using a magnetic spare key holder for your car, etc. All these little things that help me continue to improve, without just going back to the Adderall and giving up the feeling of being human again.

With that being said, anybody else have tips they'd like to share or anything? Idk, I feel like it's a thing that would great if we had a thread for it. Just general problems that circle back to ADHD, especially as an adult, and how you may have learned to deal with or solve them. Especially if they also relate to the practical side of occultism, because I know firsthand how that can affect things.

Incognitus

Lead Transcriber
Reaction score
Awards
I wish I had some advice for you. I suffer from pretty much constant anxiety and paranoia, and it's a struggle to manage it each day. I do fairly well most days, but to keep things under control I rarely leave the house and control as much as I possibly can in day to day life. An "event" (work problem, car breaking, etc) can take me from being happy to being depressed and sick in minutes. When it comes to work, the #1 thing that seems to help is to be prepared for anything I know that's coming, even if that means being ready 2 weeks in advance. Nothing derails me (mentally) more than having no notice. That's not to say I can't deal with emergencies. I can, and usually do some of my best work during those times, but once the danger has past, I mentally and physically crash to the point where I might not talk for hours.

We live in a weed legal state, near like 10 dispensaries, so I've been using weed to help manage a lot of this (a 5mg edible in the morning seriously helps). I know some may bristle about this, but at the same time they'll tout man-made drugs, which usually have so many side effects that it's just not worth it. I was on some anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds, and sure I didn't feel depressed or anxious... actually I felt nothing at all and it was terrible. Then was told the meds I was on required 6 month liver tests because hey it could possibly destroy your liver too (that was, uh, Serzone, I think).

My brother was diagnosed with ADHD when he was a young, and of course they immediately started him on Ritalin, and I think that shit caused 10 times MORE trouble than it helped. Alternate meds seemed to turn him into a zombie.

Meditation is very difficult for me as well. It's very difficult to quiet my screwed up brain. The closest I get sometimes is putting on ambient music (mostly from the now-defunct ambient-nights.org website) and just phasing out.

I wish you the best of luck. I'm almost 50 and I'm still trying to figure out how to deal with my brain chemistry.

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Advertising, sorry.

I got myself a mind link spider for xmas. Its a mind control toy. F*cking cool!!!

It is quite new and doesnt have many apps. So i did some research and toyed with it. What i found is that it comes (amongst other places) from the health industry and is mainly used for brainproblems like adhd.

Most apps for adults are stress relief related.

I played with it for a while and you can use it to balance your chakra's, get into a better flow and of course mind control a toy.

I can see how it could help with adhd.

The headband is what it is about and there are several versions, i got the kids version:

im really happy with it.

Lol, end advertising, but for real i think its worth a try

Roma

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
I read that ADHD is related to Autism. I have dealt with a few cases of autism and in each case there was both Aluminum in the brain (making the brain less acceptable to the light of the soul) and group/family karma.

When the Al in the brain is reduced, often the soul takes more interest and there is noticeable improvement in human functionality

Yazata

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards

Yazata

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards

Roma

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
The first stage I use is to ask the nature spirit of the sacral chakra to remove the Al. Mostly the nature spirit will cooperate and remove enough of the blockage that the soul (solar angel) may agree to remove more.

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Honestly don't recommend this to anyone, but nicotine + caffeine combined with a little bit of fasting killed 90% of my ADHD which is HUGE for me. Only problem is it's not a permanent fix. So any time I really need to get a lot of shit done really fast I just get some red bulls, use a vape for nicotine (no stinky, and able to use in more areas, and also not too bad for you) and work without eating for like 12-18h.

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
Honestly don't recommend this to anyone, but nicotine + caffeine combined with a little bit of fasting killed 90% of my ADHD which is HUGE for me. Only problem is it's not a permanent fix. So any time I really need to get a lot of shit done really fast I just get some red bulls, use a vape for nicotine (no stinky, and able to use in more areas, and also not too bad for you) and work without eating for like 12-18h.
I honestly could never bring myself to smoke because of the experience growing up with my dad as a chronic smoker, but I have also found caffeine can help. At least some of the time, anyway. It's really a tightrope, because too much will make me more spazzy. Just enough, though, and I'm in the zone.

Jaide

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
(no stinky, and able to use in more areas, and also not too bad for you)
Hate to be the buzzkill but vaping nicotine comes with all the hazards of smoking nicotine except maybe lung cancer.

With that being said, anybody else have tips they'd like to share or anything? Idk, I feel like it's a thing that would great if we had a thread for it. Just general problems that circle back to ADHD, especially as an adult, and how you may have learned to deal with or solve them. Especially if they also relate to the practical side of occultism, because I know firsthand how that can affect things.
I have resisted my ADHD diagnosis for about 20 years, but they've finally recognized that it's not a male-centric disease and are doing more research on how it presents in girls and women, and that forced me to stop pretending I don't have it. Mostly bc I have all the symptoms. Heh. I guess that one shrink knew what he was talking about after all.

I'm still learning what helps, and what doesn't, and smoking copious amounts of weed makes it worse. Who knew? But I'm finding a small dose (5mg in the morning) helps keep the anxiety and perfectionism at bay and helps me to focus on my tasks. Apparently untreated ADHD in women causes severe imposter syndrome and the constant worry that we're not doing enough or being enough, and boy, do I feel that. But microdosing cannabis has helped with that a lot.

Beyond that, I use a lot of mantras. "Don't put it down, put it away" is a big one for me. You'd be surprised how quickly a house gets messy when someone with ADHD spends a day forgetting to put things away.

I was going to give you a few other mantras, but true to form, my ADHD has stolen the rest of my thoughts. Are you on IG? I can suggest a couple accounts that might help if you'd like.

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Hate to be the buzzkill but vaping nicotine comes with all the hazards of smoking nicotine except maybe lung cancer.
Nope, objectively incorrect.
  1. Vaping is not smoking, there is no smoke when vaping (unless you are doing something very wrong) hence the name vaping. It's vapor, which is liquid that is evaporated. Smoke comes from burning. If you are vaping correctly, nothing gets burned.
  2. There is no such thing as "smoking nicotine" there is only "smoking tobacco". Tobacco is organic matter, and the tobacco found in cigarettes contains many additives that make it much more harmful and addictive, some added purposely for that, some not but resulting in that. Burning organic matter, especially when laced with chemical additives releases several dangerous chemicals that are way more toxic and carcinogenic than nicotine itself.
  3. Nicotine itself beyond being addictive has nearly no permanent harmful effects on the human body, especially in the quantities found in typical vaping devices.
  4. Smoking any organic matter, whether it's weed, tobacco, etc is way more harmful to you than vaping nicotine.

Roma

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Smoking any organic matter, whether it's weed, tobacco, etc is way more harmful to you than vaping nicotine.
It took industry 350 years to admit that smoking tobacco was harmful. Perhaps vaping will have a quicker run

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
It took industry 350 years to admit that smoking tobacco was harmful. Perhaps vaping will have a quicker run
No one is saying it's harmless. Just less harmful than tobacco.

Also, it's not just tobacco, smoking anything is harmful. (Yes, that includes weed)

Also 2: Vaping is way more tightly regulated than tobacco.

Also 3: Burning organic matter creates a lot of tar, carbon particles, and carbon monoxide at base, and at worst, can contain many more dangerous compounds from the incomplete oxidation of large organic molecules found in cells, including highly carcinogenic compounds. By contrast, the liquid you vape has 4 main ingredients: PG, VG, Nicotine, and flavorings. Most of the health risks of vaping come from the flavorings, which when heated can transform into unsafe compounds/chemicals. This was a legitimate health risk in the early days of vaping when people would put any old food-grade flavoring into vape liquid. But it is so harshly and tightly regulated now, that almost all vape liquid purchased from reputable sellers in the US and Europe are only allowed to add flavorings that have been tested for reactions at the temperature ranges in vaping devices. Is it perfect? No. Is it completely safe? No. But to think it poses even remotely the same health risk as smoking/burning organic matter is beyond delusional. Especially these days. Remember, big tobacco is always lobbying for the cigarette industry, and against the vaping industry, you can see it in the sheer volume of studies sponsored by tobacco companies that make up the vast majority of studies that actually condemn vaping. The vaping industry is the underdog, and that being the case they are still making such a compelling case for it's health benefits should make it obvious the far cry differences in health risks. Remember, the underdog is always subject to more restrictions and forced to adhere to much tighter standards. Which I don't mind because that's what made them so much healthier than smoking. To the point that countries without (less) legal bribery/corruption (...oops, I meant "lobbying") like the UK have officially endorsed vaping as a safer means to quit smoking. Like I said, I never claimed it's harmless, and I would not encourage anyone to get into it unless they were already a smoker... but the health risks are a tiny fraction of those from smoking.

Also 4: Anyways I feel like I am derailing the thread now, so I'll put a lid on it. Maybe worth its own thread though.

Last edited:

Mider2009

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I’m bi polar, have horrible anxiety, it started in my teens then got worse as a adult. I hear you man, coping is a daily thing

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
I'm still learning what helps, and what doesn't, and smoking copious amounts of weed makes it worse. Who knew? But I'm finding a small dose (5mg in the morning) helps keep the anxiety and perfectionism at bay and helps me to focus on my tasks. Apparently untreated ADHD in women causes severe imposter syndrome and the constant worry that we're not doing enough or being enough, and boy, do I feel that. But microdosing cannabis has helped with that a lot.
GOD I fucking feel this so bad. Partly due to the specific brand of abuse I dealt with when I was younger, but it's something I still deal with. Actual weed's not legal where I live, but I had thought of trying Delta 8 at some point. See if that helps whenever the mental hell gets a bit too much.

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
Beyond that, I use a lot of mantras. "Don't put it down, put it away" is a big one for me. You'd be surprised how quickly a house gets messy when someone with ADHD spends a day forgetting to put things away.
Absolutely, this is one thing that's just a neverending battle for me! My room is a fucking demilitarized zone. I've heard of "Don't put it down, put it away", and there are times I'll remember it but times I won't. I've learned to take any of the instances where I remember to put shit away, and use the hell out of them. Sudden bursts of motivation at 3am are always the best, lol

Jaide

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
GOD I fucking feel this so bad. Partly due to the specific brand of abuse I dealt with when I was younger, but it's something I still deal with. Actual weed's not legal where I live, but I had thought of trying Delta 8 at some point. See if that helps whenever the mental hell gets a bit too much.
You could also consider talking to a dr about Vyvanse. Friend of mine is taking it, and it’s got her on an even keel without all the zombie feelings.

C4Orange

Visitor
Reaction score
From very early in childhood, I was diagnosed with a couple different behavioral disorders. I was quite the problem child for just about any teacher or caretaker I was thrown at. Over time, though, most of the problems/symptoms I had early in life have either improved with age, or disappeared entirely. While this is expected of childhood mental disorders, since people tend to mature and learn to cope somewhat in life, there still are struggles adults with such conditions face. And sometimes it seems that the further I venture into adult life, the more apparent it is which disorder has lingered the most: my ADHD.

After graduating high school, I made a decision to stop taking the Adderall I was prescribed. I did this because I had noticed for years, how taking it affected me emotionally. Sure, I was productive as all hell with the ability to focus like a normal person. But at the same time, I felt completely dead inside, and it was a feeling I hated. My doctor said it was safe to see for myself whether I really needed ADHD meds anymore, outside the constantly focus-demanding environment that was high school. And though I still had one HELL of a time figuring out how to live without that help, especially while still having to navigate college and dealing with all the demands of life, I can't say I've really regretted that decision. I've learned to adjust, so that I'm at least functional for the most part. I may lock my keys in the car several times a year, or have an ungodly amount of clutter, or completely space out when people tell me stuff sometimes. Even certain aspects of occult practice such as meditation can be difficult, if I'm particularly unable to focus that day.

But for the most part, I'm able to at least survive like a "normal" person. And I make constant efforts to improve and expand what strategies I use, to deal with all the frustrating shit that still affects me. Whether it's caffeine, writing literally everything down, cleaning your room one tiny section at a time, using a magnetic spare key holder for your car, etc. All these little things that help me continue to improve, without just going back to the Adderall and giving up the feeling of being human again.

There are more medications than just Adderall, and the doseage is quite important. This "feeling dead inside" can be related to a to intense reduction of your common state of arousal. Your physiology should adapt after a while and you should only get the benefits of the medication (focus, increased memory and impulse control).
In my opinion, you could try other active substances and experiment with the doseage under professional supervision. In my opinion adhd medication is like a tailored suit fit to your individual needs.

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
There are more medications than just Adderall, and the doseage is quite important. This "feeling dead inside" can be related to a to intense reduction of your common state of arousal. Your physiology should adapt after a while and you should only get the benefits of the medication (focus, increased memory and impulse control).
In my opinion, you could try other active substances and experiment with the doseage under professional supervision. In my opinion adhd medication is like a tailored suit fit to your individual needs.
Man, that's kinda weird then. I had been on the Adderall for over a couple years straight, and when I brought my problems up to the doc he just shrugged and suggested quitting it outright. Didn't seem to offer any alternatives at all. Though it was only after I graduated that quitting it became feasible, since I still needed to focus for class.

Sometimes I feel like if I really wanted to try medications again, I'd be kinda screwed due to the cost, sadly. Even back then, my parents would occasionally bitch about how expensive my medications were. It almost made me feel bad for needing them.