• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Help] Creating in C a space operations simulator

Someone's asking for help!
Reaction score
Awards
For some reason, Ubuntu 14 is crippled with gcc - most standard header files are absent from the filesystem, verified through a find statement.

1. How carefully can you theoretically program it based on correct use of the C Programming language to later port to a system with full include files for gcc?

3. So, here is a second problem - how do you, in C, program pass a f(x) as an argument, passed through a function, such as a Delta element of a differentiation equation?

Reaction score
Awards
Regarding competition....

I do these projects for my self first and foremost, trying not to steal intellectual property from others.

I believe in open source.
I do not believe in being trampled, disrupted, bullied or stolen from.

Therefore if you look to compete with me, you compete only against yourself.

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
I'm not sure what the point is using a Linux distro from 2014. Ubuntu generally has free long term support out to five years maximum and paid support to ten years. All the latest C/C++ will be in current distro releases like Ubuntu 22.04. If you're really wanting the latest cutting-edge open source environment, you'd get a rolling release distro like OpenSUSE Tumbleweed or Arch Linux. 🤓

Reaction score
Awards
Because I'm poor, struggle, and have to resort to creativity to solve the given one of many problems at hand.

I had had it with windows 7 crashing each and everything, even though the Broadcom adapter could work if it wanted to. Not sure about the wired connection. So I found a Linux CD with Ubuntu. 14.04. Network adapters suddenly don't work.

So there's that.

Reaction score
Awards
It pissed me off when the magsafe end frayed and stopped supplying power to the MacBook where I had everything. Multiple projects expired or on hold now. That is minimum 80 dollars I don't have, stupid power adapters..

Reaction score
Awards
Might be just as well.
It struck me most Linux or Unix users use a fair amount but not full knowledge.
Parties had to wake Linus himself to fix Linux parameters when there was a huge security problem.
The find command for example, use probably a handful of the arguments, mainly only used when which or where return nothing. I could however, fully use that program, that find command, know it all. Same with sed, awk, grep, tar etc.

Reaction score
Awards
So, learn fully the use of the C programming language.

So you could essentially be writing what most consider code, While it may be just pseudocode to you.

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
You got a USB stick with about 1 GB? You can download the ISO and boot that old laptop with it. Maybe try something like Puppy Linux which can run on any potato.

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
1. How carefully can you theoretically program it based on correct use of the C Programming language to later port to a system with full include files for gcc?
You can compile a binaries for major systems. Otherwise just update and install latest gcc and anyone can build your source code if they have gcc.

3. So, here is a second problem - how do you, in C, program pass a f(x) as an argument, passed through a function, such as a Delta element of a differentiation equation?
You cant just do that. You would have to parse a string. There are already many math parsing libraries out there that you can use.

Reaction score
Awards
I think I will do that, get updates or upgrades on CD or USB, and port things that way. Gcc Ubuntu and whatnot.

Reaction score
Awards
I have found myself learning Python quicker by going by ebnf for the language, and modeling c and python programs off each other and cleaning up appropriately. What it has taught me is that I can program in C according to ANSI standard. And am learning Python to boot. I'd prefer to stick to low level C in terms of heavy register and assembler use, and pythong from network level down to physical layer.

Reaction score
Awards
Will look into these distros via a second source that's online that can burn an iso. For the life of me. By the book and intuitively, I've done all steps..cannot figure out other than hw malfunction .. which is likely, what is wrong with the adapter. It still could be a cable issue. Once I have some cash for one will test 8t to see if that's the wired issue. I think the wifi adapter is unsupported by the distro.

Reaction score
Awards
Did try to program a full adder. 4 bit comparator and a couple other programs. Will still do the space stuff. Though for my idea it would require is to build a fully functional craft like a flying saucer or the like, that would hold enough fuel tank mass calculated into it all to provide thrust and leave/bidirectional travel/renter. Out of my league academically. Not an engineer.

Reaction score
Awards
Would like to figure out how to program an actual hardware device that is essentially a powered breadboard and connects the used dots. This would require reading at the physical wire or lead level, and though I know some languages make it possible. Such as verilog and some apps like airtime have files indicating it handling it at that level. So that is what I'm tackling. Is exyltremely low-level digital and solid state electronics level, to read plug and 0lay components building complete circuits. Like a realtime electronic lab kit with readable display of circuit built and available output.

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
Would like to figure out how to program an actual hardware device that is essentially a powered breadboard and connects the used dots. This would require reading at the physical wire or lead level, and though I know some languages make it possible. Such as verilog and some apps like airtime have files indicating it handling it at that level. So that is what I'm tackling. Is exyltremely low-level digital and solid state electronics level, to read plug and 0lay components building complete circuits. Like a realtime electronic lab kit with readable display of circuit built and available output.
A Programmable Logic Controller? Back in the day I worked with PLCs in some settings. I recall mainly using Allen-Bradley. The software graphically displayed ladder logic "programs" where sensor inputs affected outputs connected to relays and other equipment.