• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Tutorial] Fog Machine Solution (can also be used for disinfectant fogging with a few tweaks)

Informative post.

Grundy

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I'm feeling pretty productive atm. In the middle of the pandemic its always a good idea to have some disinfectant stuff onhand. This is by far my favorite means of disinfecting rooms/cars etc. If you see those guys with a like fogging gun that shoots smoke all over rooms to disinfect it this is pretty much how to make the stuff they use)

It is exactly similar as well to how party fog machine solution is made and only has a few key components. This particular formulation incorporates scent oils as well. So if you wanna be all occulty about it, you can incorporate sage oil into the mixture and use to to cleanse your altar area not only of infectious microbes or viruses but may of evil spirits as well lmao.

You will need:

A mixing bowl
a stick blender (even a spatula will do to be honest)
Some Glycerin (vegetable glycerin or just regular is fine)
De ionized water (purified or distilled works as well)
a chemical called BKC or benzalkonium chloride (hydrogen peroxide works as well but it leaves a sticky residue on surfaces afterwards)
a little polysorbate 80 or 20
whatever scent oil you want

the formulation

DI Water
71.0000%​
glycerin
25.0000%​
polysorbate 80 or 20
2.0000%​
BKC
1.0000%​
scent oil
1.0000%​

1. The mixing of this is actually quite simple, you mix the glycerin and BKC into the water and stir well. This is basically done at this point but if you want to add a scent to it there's an additional step

2. In a separate container, mix the scent oil with the Polysorbate 80 or 20. the rule of thumb here is to mix polysorbate and the oil in a 1 to 1 ratio. Polysorbate is a chemical helps solubize oils in a water mixture. (make oil and water mix instead of separate). Polysorbates are mostly used in cosmetics as well as a means to blend waxes and liquids into a polymer.

3. Once the polysorbate/scent oil mixture is done you will slowly be adding the combined ingredients into the glycerin/water/bkc mixture. Do this slowly while stirring the water mixture to ensure a good dispersal of the oils evenly.

4. set aside the mixture, buy a fogging gun and pretend your a damn ghostbuster when you do some cheap disinfecting work :).

smoke mirrors GIF

sry for the gif I cant seem to upload pictures from imgbb

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
My dad had a 1995 Jeep Wrangler at one point, that he tried to mod to do a shit ton of cool things. Make it be able to run under 7ft of water, oil slick dispenser in the back, and smokescreen. I can't remember if he ever got the smokescreen to work, before he sold the thing. (Yes I was very very pissed when he sold it. I could've possibly inherited a James Bond Jeep one day!)

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Nice. What do you think about using propylene glycol instead of polysorbate, for dissolving the scents? Similar to vape liquid.

Grundy

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Nice. What do you think about using propylene glycol instead of polysorbate, for dissolving the scents? Similar to vape liquid.
In my experience. glycol really acts as a medium to let scents stick to surfaces (i use it in perfumes and bodysprays as well as fabric colognes).

I would suggest polysorbate in this preparation as the formulation involves a large amount of water that you need to scents to polymerize with. Otherwise you might end up with the scent oils floating on top of the liquid haha. (In that case you can usually just use the ol' shake well before use instructions) hahaha. That's actually just a cop out for manufacturers to cover up for bad mixtures.

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
In my experience. glycol really acts as a medium to let scents stick to surfaces (i use it in perfumes and bodysprays as well as fabric colognes).

I would suggest polysorbate in this preparation as the formulation involves a large amount of water that you need to scents to polymerize with. Otherwise you might end up with the scent oils floating on top of the liquid haha. (In that case you can usually just use the ol' shake well before use instructions) hahaha. That's actually just a cop out for manufacturers to cover up for bad mixtures.
Oh right, yeah, this uses a water as the base and not glycerin. Gotcha