• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Fundamental Question

Brixgh

Neophyte
Awards
Magick is the science and art that provokes change in conformity with the Will, and that “all intentional acts are acts of magick.”

This is the definition of Magick by Aleister Crowley.

He also said: Magick is the Science of understanding one’s self and one’s own situation. It is the art of applying this knowledge in action.

Pestifer Mundi

Magic Larper
Awards
“all intentional acts are acts of magick.”
So if somebody blinks 5 times really fast on purpose that's magic? 😂

It just seems like "modern occultists" redefined magic to be something more vague and mundane, they artificially lowered the bar so that its something "attainable"

With such a vague and all encompassing definition every living thing that does something with intent is a "magician"

We know how that logic goes, if everybody is a magician then nobody is a magician. Being a "magician" isn't "a thing" at that point because every living thing meets the criteria by default, there's no need to create a new term for something so mundane, its called "living"

Everything we do with intent is just part of us living our lives, no need to stretch the definition of "magic" to be something so vague that it encompasses pretty much all things

Terms and definitions exist to distinguish groups, individuals and things from eachother

A definition that fails to do that essentially has no meaning and is pointless

It would be as if cat, dog and horse were all defined as "animal with four legs" in a dictionary

Brixgh

Neophyte
Awards
Brixgh said:
“all intentional acts are acts of magick.”
quote "So if somebody blinks 5 times really fast on purpose that's magic? 😂"

Yes if and only if that provokes change in conformity with the Will ..one blink even.

I agree with you as it's a rather vague definition, but that vagueness as you put it has also its purpose.

Have you read his books? if not please do, he deserves great respect and even such vagueness has a deep meaning with which he sends strong messages to his predecessors.

Pestifer Mundi

Magic Larper
Awards
quote "So if somebody blinks 5 times really fast on purpose that's magic? 😂"

Yes if and only if that provokes change in conformity with the Will ..one blink even.

I agree with you as it's a rather vague definition, but that vagueness as you put it has also its purpose.

Have you read his books? if not please do, he deserves great respect and even such vagueness has a deep meaning with which he sends strong messages to his predecessors.
I think I'll avoid all forms of "modern mysticism", they tend to be even more esoteric and secretive than older mysticism from hundreds of years before them, for the sake of theatrics in my book

I'd much rather walk 500 miles on a straight flat unobstructed path than 50 miles at a steep incline with protrusions and obstacles in my way. It will take way longer but it will be a straight forward process

I feel like I would spend more time trying to truly understand than actually learning things that I could apply and test myself

Oh, and boy are they obsessed with sex magic, its alike almost every ritual or initiation they have has to do with sex

Whether its Thelema, Skull & Bones, etc

For me its like - "Come on bro, I just want knowledge and power, I didn't come here for all that" 😂

Based on what I've read about Mr. Crowley he's definitely a genius though, also read about this ridiculous 6 month long ritual he attempted to complete but couldn't finish for some reason

Him being a genius is also what worries me, I doubt I have the competence to dabble in his kind of magic, its probably beyond me at this point and is dangerous

A TV series that might interest you (assuming you haven't seen it yet) is "Strange Angel"
(I never finished it but you just reminded me of it, think I'll start it over again)

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Either way I think I've already been set on a path of what occultic knowledge I should pursue based on a series of coincidences that keep building upon eachother. I might come back to other writings afterwards but for now my time is better spent there

I've always been more interested in Alchemy than anything so if I would ever look into anyones writings it would be the writings of Nicholas Flamel (said to be an alchemist that created the philosophers stone and attained immortality)

Yazata

Zealot
Awards
I thought Crowley said it is "..the Art and Science..."
Science for the rules and Art for the individual's creative interpretation and use of these.

Brixgh

Neophyte
Awards
I think I'll avoid all forms of "modern mysticism", they tend to be even more esoteric and secretive than older mysticism from hundreds of years before them, for the sake of theatrics in my book

I'd much rather walk 500 miles on a straight flat unobstructed path than 50 miles at a steep incline with protrusions and obstacles in my way. It will take way longer but it will be a straight forward process

I feel like I would spend more time trying to truly understand than actually learning things that I could apply and test myself

Oh, and boy are they obsessed with sex magic, its alike almost every ritual or initiation they have has to do with sex

Whether its Thelema, Skull & Bones, etc

For me its like - "Come on bro, I just want knowledge and power, I didn't come here for all that" 😂

Based on what I've read about Mr. Crowley he's definitely a genius though, also read about this ridiculous 6 month long ritual he attempted to complete but couldn't finish for some reason

Him being a genius is also what worries me, I doubt I have the competence to dabble in his kind of magic, its probably beyond me at this point and is dangerous

A TV series that might interest you (assuming you haven't seen it yet) is "Strange Angel"
(I never finished it but you just reminded me of it, think I'll start it over again)

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Either way I think I've already been set on a path of what occultic knowledge I should pursue based on a series of coincidences that keep building upon eachother. I might come back to other writings afterwards but for now my time is better spent there

I've always been more interested in Alchemy than anything so if I would ever look into anyones writings it would be the writings of Nicholas Flamel (said to be an alchemist that created the philosophers stone and attained immortality)

I wish you good luck with your book. I am looking forward to reading it.

Thanks for the suggestion "Strange Angels "I will check it

About Crowley and the "ridiculous" 6 month-long rituals (Abramelin ritual) all I may say is, please don't judge a book by its cover. Imho, they deserve huge respect even they seem silly. As for their sex addiction, it's not fornicating to honor Satan, but far beyond, it has deeper meanings regarding raising energy. Have you read about Wilhelm Reich, check him, maybe you may have interesting insights too. (bions, FDA involvements dead orgone... why they were so cruel against him.....etc)

AC lived in a period where all kinds of magick were considered a crime. The abolition of the witchcraft act was in the mid-50s. So there were always some sugar coatings around the craft. Also an old habit of hiding the "pearls"..Please also consider that. I like him but not everybody should, Even I do not approve of all he did; he is quite an important man in the history of the occult.

In the end, you walk on your way, and whatever you do or think, if it suits you then it's perfect. But all I may say is if you delve deeper you may find really good things.

Again good luck on your quest.

Flavius

Neophyte
I’d say that magic is identifying with superior, or transcendent principles while doing away with aggregates of the historical I. To understand the supernatural task of magic materialism is a needed premise (for obvious reasons). In making use of it one can direct the subtle energies behind form (including the psychic arena) and create causes/effects. Where in ceremonial magic forces distinct from your own are evoked, it is in high magic that the historical I is transcended and you access deeper forces of being.