• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Site Announcement] Implemented auto-merging when users make double/multi-posts

Official Wizard Forums annoucement by staff.

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I've recently noticed a huge amount of double/multi-posting AKA repeat bumping AKA posting again and again in a thread without replies from anyone else inbetween.

This isn't a facebook group, it's a forum. I expect some thought and finality in posts. But it's simply unenforcable, and sometimes mistakes do happen and you have to post twice, so I've implemented an auto-merge. You'll see how it works.

Reaction score
Awards
I like it, with the only exception being that they are merged into earlier dates, which poses a problem if I ever go back to a fully formatted daily journal entry, as opposed to a smaller post that doesn't describe the full day or its expectations. Other than this, loving it. Cuts down on spam greatly.

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
saw it, got confused and loving it. but how does it work with the 5 min. edit time? can you then redo everything merged? cause that is even cooler, but not very wise.

edit: i also got an alert for the merge, THAT i dont need.

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I like it, with the only exception being that they are merged into earlier dates, which poses a problem if I ever go back to a fully formatted daily journal entry, as opposed to a smaller post that doesn't describe the full day or its expectations. Other than this, loving it. Cuts down on spam greatly.
ok i will reduce the automerge enabled time range from unlimited to 24h within the journals section. that way it gets merged if its within the same day, otherwise if its the next day it makes a new post... but the merge messages do have a timestamp so not really sure if its that necessary... but i will trial it out.

Reaction score
Awards
Its wise imo, because it reduces spam by pushing repetitive posts back in the background, which hopefully will bring in the quality posts into the first couple pages. Five minutes is impossible for me to edit, so I like the feature basically saying someone has to reply to it to spring it back into the foreground.

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
saw it, got confused and loving it. but how does it work with the 5 min. edit time? can you then redo everything merged? cause that is even cooler, but not very wise.

edit: i also got an alert for the merge, THAT i dont need.
ok, i can remove the notification

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Its wise imo, because it reduces spam by pushing repetitive posts back in the background, which hopefully will bring in the quality posts into the first couple pages. Five minutes is impossible for me to edit, so I like the feature basically saying someone has to reply to it to spring it back into the foreground.
as a benefactor you have 12h to edit

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
skull, i cant post vids anymore due to the merger. it merges things from yesterday with todays post, which isnt right. merging for posts within an hour or something ok, but this isnt working at all. i now have a post from yesterday merged with today. no can do, its fake and annoying. also storytelling needs dates as it is esoteric puzzling and synchronicities. right now i can post text, but no vids. and i cant post the vid in a new post cause that wants to merge too.
Post automatically merged:

the topic also wont come up as whats new due to it.

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
skull, i cant post vids anymore due to the merger. it merges things from yesterday with todays post, which isnt right. merging for posts within an hour or something ok, but this isnt working at all. i now have a post from yesterday merged with today. no can do, its fake and annoying. also storytelling needs dates as it is esoteric puzzling and synchronicities. right now i can post text, but no vids. and i cant post the vid in a new post cause that wants to merge too.
Post automatically merged:

the topic also wont come up as whats new due to it.
I will consider either removing the auto merge in the lounge, or allowing more videos per post. But other than that...

Yes, it is working fine, completely as intended. There are dates in the merge notice. And topics not coming up as new is the whole point. When someone other than you adds something then it will come up as new.

Reaction score
Awards
I support it, and agree, except for replies from others to remains as one merged post. That if nobody replies, cascades into the next page.

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
thanks. i think its indeed for the lounge sometimes a bit different. other topics i totally agree. on the other hand luring people in to your topic so you can post again, mmm. seems you ARE the glorious light and power. just kidding :ROFLMAO:💕

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Some changes to the system (still in the process of testing thoroughly, but this is what I have set the system/intended the system to be now):
  • Throughout the forum, posts will be merged indefinitely except;
  • In the Journals section, posts will be merged for up to 24h, and this section is to be removed from the "new posts section" on the sidebar
  • In the Lounge, posts will be merged for up to 3h, and this section is to be removed from the "new posts section" on the sidebar, also considering giving it lesser priority in the "what's new" feed
In summary, there will be a shorter window for automerging in the lounge and journal section, but threads there will be removed from the sidebar to avoid clutter. The timeframes may be adjusted in the future. The character limit and videos per post will remain unadjusted.