• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Increase Protein Intake To Reduce Weight

Lemongrass00

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Hello all,

If you are trying to shed some weight while at the same time retaining/ putting on muscle mass, a simple increase in protein intake may do you more good in the long term than a crash / fad diet.

A good general rule of thumb is to consume 4 grams of protein per 10 pounds of bodyweight as a baseline.

However, increasing this number to 7.5g to 10g per 10 pounds of bodyweight a day can have numerous benefits.

For starters, by increasing protein intake you feel satiated longer as it reduces the hormone GHRELIN which contributes to the feeling of hunger.

It also boosts Peptide YY, which signals to the body the feeling of fullness.

On top of both of this, protein has been shown to increase metabolism, as your body works harder to digest it.

Of course some form of exercise should be paired to really reap the full benefits of your increased protein intake,

In conclusion, I am not a fan of fad diets for short term results or starving yourself, I believe everyone should eat until they're full but by increasing protein intake this feeling can come about quicker and last longer, resulting in overall less calories and as we all know the only way to lose weight is to be in a caloric deficit.

If anyone has any questions about nutrition or fitness in general leave a comment or PM me ;)

Yazata

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
I am vegetarian and eat (lots) of untreated nuts daily. Maybe too much. Which type of nuts do you recommend as being the best?

Lemongrass00

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I am vegetarian and eat (lots) of untreated nuts daily. Maybe too much. Which type of nuts do you recommend as being the best?
Honestly depends on your goal, I prefer almonds personally because they have a good amount of fiber.

My only issue with nuts is you have to eat them conservatively since they have a high fat content, a couple small handful of nuts a day can easily be 500+ calories and it feels like nothing.