• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Metaverse seems dodgy to me.

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
The Idea (as far as I understand it) is really cool. But I don't trust Facebook, Twitter and all that. I haven't even ever played a videogame online. So it'll pass me by 😂

Jarhyn

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
"Metaverse" is an abuse of language. They are attempting to do something phenomenally shitty by claiming what is best kept as a general term for "metaversal simulation" in general.

It's essentially Centaurs™ (re: Centaurworld).

Not to mention that this has already been done by different organizations and I have no faith in Facebook to not make it a shitshow ten times worse than SL. And then Metaverse as a name will be forever synonymous with "shitshow" instead of the gloriousness that was Snow Crash.

Amur

Acolyte
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
I find this another laugh inside history. Seems like mr shroomhead could've come up with a better plan even. Because this just seems lame.

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
As i have a stupid brain that tends to synchronize things that sometimes maybe better not sync, i can imagine what stupid idea of loving home life comes out of zuckerbot. Not to mention how many times i got stuck in one of musks sexbots.

The idea sounds great if you have never ever felt or heard of what living from your heart means. Other then that not so much.

But then again world war 4 will be fought with sticks(1) and stones(0)...(albert einstein, not me 😛)

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Just to lol and for some to understand how fast syncs online can go or for others to relay the neural patterns:

Its now about 1hour after the last post and i got spam mail telling me i still need to verify my wallet for metamask. Strangely, for the ones understanding how this shit works like jarhyn and to a certain extent william, spam is the safer place to be.

Jarhyn

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
The metaverse, is a trap. It is another way, to enslave humans, and keep them disconnected from interacting with other fellow human Beings. The moment I heard of the metaverse, well, that won't be for me.
So things LIKE it can absolutely be fantastic tools for personal prototyping in ways that are mostly "safe".

But Metaverse? That's a straight up soul trap.

WantlerWandlerX

Neophyte
Reaction score
It will be a space won't it. For me putting on the VR gear is similar to a noose. As for others who have no way of interacting outside their home, good on them.

WantlerWandlerX

Neophyte
Reaction score
As i have a stupid brain that tends to synchronize things that sometimes maybe better not sync, i can imagine what stupid idea of loving home life comes out of zuckerbot. Not to mention how many times i got stuck in one of musks sexbots.

The idea sounds great if you have never ever felt or heard of what living from your heart means. Other then that not so much.

But then again world war 4 will be fought with sticks(1) and stones(0)...(albert einstein, not me 😛)

Yeah a false way to be

Jarhyn

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Second Life anyone?
WHat?

Long story short, I got banned way back in 2006, and then again in 2007.

They banned me for a number of things. It was a proper "Ged letting his shadow off leash" experience, if you've read A Wizard of Earthsea.

I sold dicks and dick accessories. They looked ugly as sin but furries would pay me more than I made as a burger jockey for those monstrosities. Apparently there was a class action suit I missed out on where I could have gotten my $10k worth in SpaceBux back that I had when I was banned, but I missed the email until over a year later.

I learned a ton about marketing and market share and market share development and advertising and product placement and community engagement...

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Sorry, my head got realigned, they now think im the roblox. It seems fun, but what the heck am i?

Im not a gamer, hence the question.

Incognitus

Lead Transcriber
Reaction score
Awards
I sold dicks and dick accessories.
Haha. Like, you come across sometimes as all business, no play, and then you drop a comment like that. Freaking hilarious!

God I hated Second Life. Jaide and I were on for awhile. Tried to take part in some BDSM stuff (ya, we're kinky as fuck), but the client was a piece of garbage, and honestly most of the player built areas were pretty boring. Those furries with strap-ons tho! Hah.

Jarhyn

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Haha. Like, you come across sometimes as all business, no play, and then you drop a comment like that. Freaking hilarious!

God I hated Second Life. Jaide and I were on for awhile. Tried to take part in some BDSM stuff (ya, we're kinky as fuck), but the client was a piece of garbage, and honestly most of the player built areas were pretty boring. Those furries with strap-ons tho! Hah.
I sold those strapons, pretty much all of them, from '04-'07.

cryphius

Neophyte
Reaction score
No, I won't be participating in Metaverse. I don't have Twitter or TikTok and I barely check Facebook anymore.

When I was a kid in the 90s and first came across the internet I thought it was the most wonderful invention in human history. Now I am wondering if it's one of the worst given what it's done to humanity.

Social media is just a place where people can be mean to each other and scream at each other over things like politics without any real consequences. I can't imagine how a Metaverse would be.

Jarhyn

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
No, I won't be participating in Metaverse. I don't have Twitter or TikTok and I barely check Facebook anymore.

When I was a kid in the 90s and first came across the internet I thought it was the most wonderful invention in human history. Now I am wondering if it's one of the worst given what it's done to humanity.

Social media is just a place where people can be mean to each other and scream at each other over things like politics without any real consequences. I can't imagine how a Metaverse would be.
So you know, this isn't the first time it's been done. There was a metaverse rolled up by a group called Linden Labs that's still actively in use called "Second Life" and additionally there are metaversal environments such as VR chat which are quite popular among various communities.

Sometimes people use those existing environments to talk about politics, but more often they just use it as a normal chatroom, or as a collaborative space for... Building up the collaborative space.

The major negative elements are actually more often direct conflicts between those who want to make "offensive" art, and have a place for it to be seen and those who wish to censor such activities and discussions, and then a third faction that tends to attach to the "offensives" which represents '*chan' style anarchy, chaos, and let's face it RACISM.

It's surprisingly apolitical except on those lines, on the line of whose art gets censored, and who is just a fucking foul racist agitator.

In short, it's more like the open internet than social media.

The problem with Metaverse as per the thread is the "who" more than the "what", at least in theory.

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Ok, im a dipshit concerning these things, but since i suddenly became the roblox, i kept my eyes and ears open. I got the pc/matrix/tron view in 3d everynow and then, which is not so scarry after a couple of times.
It made me wonder why datamining, dnamining/amnesiagods and the metaverse combine in my view. That brought me to the world of bitcoin, the new forms of games in it and eventually to block chain security.

To me these things are all still new forms of expressing how a human works, so it confuses me. Where is humanity at this point? Are we just calculating data in a pc or did the ghost already escape?