• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Metformin

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Some time in the future I will share a thread with my full stack of what I take/intend to take in terms of supplements that focus on physical and mental health, focus, longevity etc.

For now, let me just suggest that you look up studies and papers on Metformin. I first saw about it on the Joe Rogan podcast. I realized it was readily available and I even had some already at my house, so I started taking it. Here's what I noticed:
  • Weight loss
  • Blood sugar stability and regulation
  • Extremely difficult to recover after exercise
A lot of the studies suggest that in the absence of actual expercise, it's a great substitute. You may receive 30-50% of the benefits of exercise (no muscle growth) without doing any at all. However, when combined with exercise, it drastically reduces the effectiveness.

My recommendation is if you know you're not going to be working out for at least 5 days, take metformin daily 1000mg.

Also, I've seen some studies that suggest it significantly reduces some effects of natural ageing.

There's basically zero side effects as long as you don't increase your dose beyond 2000mg.

As far as I understand, it inhibits mitochondria, causing your body to use up more chemically stored energy to do the same work. Which is also why it doesn't play well when combined with exercise.

It may also have something to do with regenerating/rejuvinating mitochondria and other parts of the cell without damaging/reducing telomeres, which traditional cell reproduction does, contributing to ageing in some ways.

I'm not a doctor, so do your own research.

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
I remember hearing about some sort of pill mimicking exercise. But if it fucks with mitochondria, does that also mean you have less energy throughout the day? Or do you adapt to it, like how one does with exercise. Another thing I wonder, is what would happen when you’re forced to exert yourself, outside of a “working out” context. Like running away from something, or if you’re like me and have a job that involves lots of intense manual labor.

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I remember hearing about some sort of pill mimicking exercise. But if it fucks with mitochondria, does that also mean you have less energy throughout the day? Or do you adapt to it, like how one does with exercise. Another thing I wonder, is what would happen when you’re forced to exert yourself, outside of a “working out” context. Like running away from something, or if you’re like me and have a job that involves lots of intense manual labor.
If you take 1000mg or less per day, then the energy drain is negligible for someone like me with an office job. As for a labor-intensive job, I can't say with any certainty. I do know that it doesn't prevent me from exerting short bursts of energy like running away from something or even doing exercise, what I've noticed it affecting is the recovery from exercise. As in, it takes me longer to feel fully back to myself/energetic after intense exercise.

What I would say is, there's no long term risk, so it's worth trying, for anyone. Like, take it for 5 days, see how you feel, and if you don't feel good, you can stop taking it and be fully back to normal in like 1-2 days.