• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Implemented] New rule idea: "Stay on topic"

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I've seen a significant amount of posts recently where some members reply to a thread with only tangentially related comments, or some vague opinion.

Normally, I'd like to allow members the agency to deviate a little from the topic of a post as long as they are contributing something of value to the thread or to members in general. But it's very hard for me or anyone to be the arbiter of what is "valuable".

What's for sure, though, is someone replying with some nonsensical rambling about cyber-crypto-sex or a music video is just cluttering threads and burying actually useful discussion. I have similar feelings about people trying to assert a contrary opinion to an OP of a thread when the thread was not really about that opinion.

For example, if someone asks for 5 must have books and then someone else replies with "I don't believe in books, I'd rather google" etc. It's worthless to the thread.

That's my reasoning for potentially adding this rule, but since it may be somewhat controversial, I'd like to hear your opinions as well.

This may also become the point where I will have to look at bringing on board community volunteer moderators as I don't have infinite time, and also do not want to be the sole arbiter of such things.

league

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
This is why I had to have moderators at my forum. Yes I agree there is a point some convos go off topic and it requires staff members to guide the conversation back on track. Its there involvement that makes the conversation back on track. I agree some answers are beyond the normal of track.

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
I don't know how effective it would be, but maybe add a new emoji under the "Like" button to signify a user has gone off topic? That way users can police themselves a little bit and/or at least warn other users that the post is not relevant to help prevent derailing.
If it's doable, that is.

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
thats what i was pointing at, im not a moderator and i dont like being addressed as one. we are on an a forum that states to be many things, so if there is no moderation in that areas there will be rambling, strange vids and more because the people that are on wf and do care are working on doing it themselves as noone is taking responsibility for titles like siteowner, moderator, administrator,etc.

Diluculo_DelFuego

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
It does help when we organize our thoughts before slinging them out into the universe or forums at the least.

KjEno186

Disciple
Staff member
Jr. Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
"Stay on topic." It just, I don't know how to put it, MAKES SENSE? 🧙‍♂️🧙‍♀️

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
It totally makes sense, but a bit more backup in the background would be nice. An answer like dont care, is to me not something whereby i think lets stay on wf any longer. And ive had that answer.

i think its sad.
Lou

Amur

Acolyte
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Should be on most forums imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.