• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

No Nonsense Tools

Öwnchef

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I am extra conservative and I hate cheap stuff with their throw-away mentality. Especially in the kitchen. I will show you some of mine. Please participate if you can.

Öwnchef

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

s-l640.jpg

Diluculo_DelFuego

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
A good, sharp knife block with up to eight different functional knives.

Öwnchef

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Nice. I use only one knife, a small Santoku. It comes from a very small batch of knives the German company GEFU brought from Japan to copy that style. I know why they chose this knife.

Yeah, two iron skillets, and a cast-iron Wok that's about it.

I only use olive oil from Crete. There is no better quality in the world.

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
A high quality, adjustable mandoline is essential for me.
Cast iron skillet
Aluminium pan
Carbon Steel wok
1-3 real good quality knives
blender
food processor
meat grinder
espresso machine
french press
fully stocked spice rack
stand/hand mixer
slow cooker
dehydrator
instant pot
air fryer/electric oven
a good dutch oven (pot) for baking bread and deep frying
instant read thermometer, beyond essential for cooking meat with consistency
garlic press
a good grater
microplane
knife sharpening kit (this is a kitchen item for me because I do not own many other blades for other purposes)
sous vide cooker
vacuum sealer
coffee grinder
toaster
waffle maker / sandwich press combo
bread/yoghurt/ice cream maker (not essential)
lots of good thick baking dishes and ramekins
good oven mitts
good high quality alu foil
blow torch, super useful
BBQ grill
smoker
a thick, heavy cutting board
a good rotating blade slicer for slicing salami, steak meat and roasts
sausage stuffer
jars for pickling

That's all I can think of right now

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I like down to earth homecooking and my tools show it.
1 kasdera aka a morroccan cast iron gridle without handle
2 feger aka a morroccan stone clay pot to put charcoal in
3 cesces aka 2 pots to cook couscous in
4 tajine aka a clay stove
5 any sharp knive i can butcher chickens and sheep with.

Ow and i love my senseo for coffee, due to better taste then instant coffee, but fast enough to give me coffee when i open my eyes in the morning without getting too aggressive first.

Öwnchef

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I do have a great duck tajine recipe with lemons and safran and stuff.

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Surprisingly enough spirit duck once came to my home. I gave it food and water, we had a talk and then it left. Leaving some shit under the table. After that i had trouble cooking at home, due to a blue ball infestation. I got handed over to mother goose and she ordered me to only cook tajine with tomatoes and keftaballs untill all is done.

You know perhaps if all is done?

Öwnchef

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
After all is said and done, probably more is said than done. That in mind I would not eat a family member. Be it spirit or real. Not even from a tajine.

If you did however, you broke the taboo. I must smile when I see the cracks in so many tajines from Westerners. They broke the TT, the tajine taboo. But that leads too far.

Tonight we will have Garam Masala seasoned chicken with mint sauce, hot mango chutney and mixed pickles. Or as the Indians say, a real diner consists of curry, chutney and roti.

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I got a bit angry the second round and was wondering were the TT was, seems i broke it the first round.

Concerning eating family members, it is one of my tasks to am what i eat. Its how follow ups work.

Ah yes cheb khaled and amar...
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Öwnchef

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
It is a totemistic thing. You do not become a spaghetti after an italian dinner. Of course not. The TT happens because they forgot. 7500 years is a long time. Noone broke a tajine in the Mesolithic. They simply forgot. They are left with sorrow, regret and repentance:

Baby I'm sorry, sorry to eat ya...

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
no probs dear, but did you ever taste my morroccan intestine dish? its called duarra (written as it sounds as the word is local and not yah average arabic). ill give you the recipe so you can try it yourself...

this used to be a dish people eat after the slaughter a sheep, as intestines are ready eadible after a kill. the rest of the beast needs to hang a few days before its ready to eat. so often it is served at ied el adha.

what you need is the intestines of 1 sheep, so
1 stomach
1 liver
2 kidneys
1 pair of lungs

if you like you can use the gut as well, but i mostly use them for sausage making, not for this stew.
we also have klowy (written as the sound), but those are the sheeps balls and somehow, we women eat them secretly in the kitchen due to, well the men dont throw their balls on the table, why should we. but no its a shame thing, we dont eat balls in front of the men, just like lighting a cigarette is quite the sexual taboo.

what do we need more:
1 handfull of green olives
1 handful of diced fresh coriander
1 big onion julienne sliced
1 garlic clove diced
1 ts salt
1 ts white pepper
1 ts ginger
1 ts masalla powder, again not the drink as most still read it as forbidden, while it actually says its better not to pray when infused with intoxicants.
1ts cumin
a bit of madam janet, but careful that shit is hot!
oil, fucking no butter we aint cook with that. not in that way at least.
water

clean the stomach until its white and has no smell, then cut it into small pieces like the size of a stamp. and no not a tramp stamp, this is oldschool when sending mail still took time.
do the same with the liver the kidneys and the lungs.
poor some oil in the pan, glaze the garlic and cloves. add the herbs and spices and brown them a bit. put the rest in except for the olives. then add water till everything is covered. let it cook till tender. this can be done in a slow cooker or on a stove or you can use a high pressure pan, to fasten the time as it takes a while. at last put in the olives and give it about 5 min. to finish it off.

put it all on 1 big plate and serve with flatbread to use as tableware.

now

Öwnchef

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
With my Phrygian ancestry yes, of course. We drank the still hot blood from the slaughter. The dish is called Schlachtplatte, slaughter platter. Pretty much what you described, kidneys are cleaned in buttermilk. Everything served on Sauerkraut, that stems from the nearby Alsace.

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
lol you top it of with sauerkraut. i like it and know some who are now even more disgusted. that reminds me, you wrote somewhere about pizzas roaming the earth and returning to italy. ill tell you the story of how my family raped a dish called macaroni.

back in the days when i still was a little girl and we could ice skate on the sidewalks, the dutch had forgotten about their spice trade. hell they forgot everything, all they did was ora et labora with the potato eaters on the back of their minds. and then shit happened and all sort of aliens came to the low lands to find work and moneys. ( stupid saudi-netherlands oil deal) one of these groups remembered the dutch of real food and the dutch, as they always do, tweaked the recipe and claimed it as their own. my ancestors were hugely involved and made my father break several taboos. one of them being the one at home who cooks. his mother, a highly devout christian from the calvinistic line, dared to accept it and gave him the new and improved version of macaroni. im not going to rat on them of course. but i can tell you the ingredients. smack, sojasauce, onions and macaroni. needless to say i never dated a dutchman after that and i had to conquer rome myself.

Öwnchef

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
> smack, sojasauce, onions and macaroni.

:ROFLMAO:

It is so great to walk a campground full of dutch. Lekker Mittagessen! They all sit in front of their tents and trailers and I swear they all eat the same! And they all have the same ecstatic face expression when they mash their potatoes in the brown sauce. Got to love 'em.

Of course it would be very adventurous to switch the taters with maccaroni but yes, sometimes they get so exotic.