• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Post Edit Time Limit

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
Maybe it's just because I'm one of those people who's really bad at proofreading my own text walls before I click submit. But the fact that you're not allowed to edit a post after five minutes from posting is really annoying sometimes. Idk if this is a feature you're able to fix or whether entirely getting rid of the time limit is practical, but at least something longer than five minutes would be great.

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
So here's my logic:
  • If you need to change something in your post, I.E. your views change, want to add something etc, if it's something substatial, it's better suited to a new post anyway
  • I will likely never have any group on the forum allowed to make edits beyond 1 hour of making the post anyways, cause I don't want content to be deleted under any circumstance, one hour is more than enough to proof and make minor changes, larger changes can be made in a new post
  • It doesn't take much to proof read before hitting the post button (there's even a preview mode to show you how it's gonna look when you post)
  • So then, the editing comes down to a quality of life thing, which is why I have it as a planned feature for donator accounts in the future. (There has to be some benefit to donating, after all)
  • The only reason I've added editing capabilities at all to normal accounts is because of accidentally hitting post before you're done, or some other such major error that you notice right away and want to edit, beyond 5 minutes if it's something you can't live without I can always edit it for you
However, if anyone can give me a solid use case, that isn't an edge case, rare scenario that would be able to fixed by me/a moderator, is more than a quality of life improvement that boils down to "oMg gUisE i'M SoOoOo siLLy I nEVEr proOf rEaD bEfOrE pOstInG", AND doesn't allow people to delete content out of spite (or whaever else reason) after that content is potentially indexed by search engines... then I'd consider it.

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
For example, I am open to the idea of a non-donator rank with the same privilleges as donator for consistent contributors such as you, mart, others to enjoy the same QoL benefits that donators do, since: 1) there won't be donator ranks for a while anyway, 2) you guys contribute to the site in a higher capacity than any non-existent donators :ROFLMAO:

But I'm strongly against the general member group having extended editing windows.

league

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I get that, totally is a double edge sword, with all my experience running forums for years i agree with Skulltraill with this one and yes i know its a pain but its necessary sadly.

Mart

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
@SkullTraill
I do take quite a bit of time proof reading, however I will often still notice mistakes here and there afterwards and it will bug the shit out of me.
Also there's times like you mentioned where you can accidentally post something. Then you go right to edit, but take longer than 5 mins and then you're not able to save the edits because of it. Other times (like that one time I tried to post tables) the formatting just won't work properly, even if you can see it perfectly fine in preview.. if a larger part of the article gets messed up by that, or you need to redo a table or something with all the formatting, then 5 minutes is nothing..

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
@SkullTraill
I do take quite a bit of time proof reading, however I will often still notice mistakes here and there afterwards and it will bug the shit out of me.
Also there's times like you mentioned where you can accidentally post something. Then you go right to edit, but take longer than 5 mins and then you're not able to save the edits because of it. Other times (like that one time I tried to post tables) the formatting just won't work properly, even if you can see it perfectly fine in preview.. if a larger part of the article gets messed up by that, or you need to redo a table or something with all the formatting, then 5 minutes is nothing..
If it really bugs you that much, doesn't it then warrant some extra time proof reading? Or perhaps the answer is to let go of the minor mistakes :) I can't allow unrestricted editing just for such minor mistakes or oversights.

As for the accidental posts, or formatting errors that take more than 5 minutes to fix, those are rare enough for it to be doable by admin/mods so it's alright I think.